Author Topic: New lottie - advice please?  (Read 2995 times)

Tatty

• Not So New ...
New lottie - advice please?
« on: April 30, 2010, 22:12:08 »
Hi, I have been reading the posts and gaining lots of help - thank you.

My allotment is still awaiting digging over ready to plant and I admit I am a bit overwhelmed by it not helped by having a major upheavel a few days after getting it.

So I don't think I have time to dig it over by myself and have looked in to getting something to help - have come across a 'power digger' that is available to hire - anyone know whether this will help? A cultivator is too expensive and too big for me to handle (the one available to hire).
They have a tiller but it says only for use on small beds - and I think it wont do any good to my undug lottie?

Lottie has light weeds and is quite compacted.

Have brought some wood to make raised beds - just about 7-8ins high so am thinking I can dig it over
then put these on and top fill with compost?
Have brought decking boards
Any advice welcome

Thank you

flitwickone

• Half Acre
Re: New lottie - advice please?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 22:49:20 »
Hi and welcome to the forums

im a newbie this year too  :o

my advice is make sure you know what weeds you are dealing with cos if you chop em to bits they will come back ten fold also to help break the ground up dig over a small area and get some potatoes in they do wonders for breaking up the soil etc

the most important things i have learnt is one its not a race and two take it easy do it bit by bit

good luck and if they are just very light weeds get the digger to turn it over but go easy

redcoat

• Quarter Acre
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:30:36 »
I read about this method of setting up raised beds ...

Decide on the permanent position of the beds, build the sides and dig over the soil in the beds.  Now go down all of the paths and dig up the first couple of inches of soil and put it into the beds, making that soil level even higher. 

Extra compost, manure etc for nutrition will be needed but it did seem a good way of getting deeper loosened soil to start off the raised beds.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 14:22:03 »
I am presuming you are struggling for time and don't vist the plot for hours each day by your post.

If you haven't got time to dig and clear the full plot this year don't worry! Cover up everything except an area you can comfortably deal with. I would recommend starting with an area of about 30x30ft (this is about 1/3 of a typical allotment) especially if you have taken on a plot at this time of year. Don't try to do too much.  You are much better to do a smaller area well. You could cover with weed supressant matting, although if you are planning to leave this until the winter to start clearing put some decent quality stuff down. Try screwfix.com. You could also thick thick cardboard. I would avoid using carpet (quite a few thread on here discussing the problems with this method). The new lottie holders who are successful are those who are realistic and don't try to do too much at first.

I would strim down the top growth and remove general junk. Then turn over the soil with a fork. If this is not possible use a mattock to break the ground up. Use the mattock to get out any big bramble roots. Then go over the area slowly pulling out any perenial weed roots. Go over the area at list twice and go down at least 2 spaces depth. Covering the whole area over and just rolling back the cover as you dig each bed is also a good idea.

I would not recommend leaving area unweeded and uncovered at this time of year because in a few weeks you will be lost in a jungle.

If you post some pictures you may some more helpful advice specific to the task you are dealing with.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 14:23:29 »
Forgot to say you could plant things like squash through the matting, which quickly cover the area and make it look ok.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 15:13:22 »
Welcome to the forum.

Another vote here for courgettes, squashes and pumpkins.    I  started my allotment last year and realised I was not going to be able to dig it all over.  So I dug holes and filled with manure (or compost or recycled compost) every metre or so and let them spread.   Not only did they suppress most of the weeds but they also broke up the soil much better than expected and so it was easy to dig through once the frost had killed them off in November.

I hope you enjoy your allotment as much I do mine

Tatty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 16:30:20 »
Hi thank you for replies, have had a very productive morning at the lottie.

Used the power digger but had to remove weeds first, it worked really well and really turned over the soil.

Here is before pics

and after

There is a few feet at the edge that have not been done but will sort those as best as can and then plant my pumkin and squash there following reading the posts!

Have made some raised beds this afternoon - going to use those and have some paths and stuff.

Yes, I have been overwhelmed by it but feel I may be getting somewhere and it was reasuring to see the other allotments not all planted up yet

redcoat

• Quarter Acre
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 16:38:45 »
Blimey, that looks just brilliant.  What a start!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 16:48:45 »
Wow- you've made brilliant progress in a short time-well done! I presumeyou don't plan to put your pumpkns and squash out just yet!

If you've got something to cover the ground that you've cleared, that will stop the weeds coming back so quickly untilyou are ready to plant.

Tatty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 17:11:53 »
No, have learnt from on here that they cannot go out yet - I thought I had missed the boat so to speak but it seems most things cannot go out till threat of frost has passed.

I have some very thin cloaches (sp?) that I could use to protect things but am I better to wait?

Next to the edge I haven't finished is some compost heaps - was thinking squash would trail up and over these nicely?

Lottie is smaller than normal size, I think it was 11 metres by 6 metres when I measured it but then there is more that is 'mine', two sheds, bench, and an extra veg bit that is probably a metre and a half by about 4 metres. 

gerkin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 19:44:28 »
hi will be following this thread carefully as ive just started from scratch as well  ;)
upminster essex ,come on you irons

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 19:53:49 »
Hiya, Tatty, welcome to the mad house, that soil looks great, our plot is all raised beds 4' wide, it works for us  ;D

Tatty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 21:38:25 »
Mmm raised beds are giving me a bit of stress - I had brought some decking to use but have now read about treated wood being a problem and now I don't know what to do!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 00:23:07 »
I plan to creosote my planks before I use them to build beds. It's has been used for I don't know how long, and the plants thrive anyway. If the planks rot, you've got work to do!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 00:25:23 by Robert_Brenchley »

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 04:49:17 »
cool some trying to poison there beds with creosote.
cool have not seen that idea used since creosote was listed as carcinogen.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 07:27:22 »
creosote was listed as carcinogen

Another language difference here, some types (coal tar) have been limited by EU but those produced from wood sources are still available here.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 07:39:51 »
cool some trying to poison there beds with creosote.
cool have not seen that idea used since creosote was listed as carcinogen.

"Cool"......why the sarcasm?

An explanation of the dangers of using creosote in your garden would have sufficed me thinks! >:(
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 08:12:31 »
You can no longer buy creosote its been taken off the market
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 09:01:29 »
Welcome to A4A Tatty - great progress  :) And we love before and after photos on here  ;D

Happy growing  :)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 09:29:02 »
You can no longer buy creosote its been taken off the market

You can buy creosote but its not the original nasty stuff (mind you,you can still get that too if you know where to go)
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal