Author Topic: Seedling frost protection  (Read 2156 times)

Glenburnie

• Not So New ...
Seedling frost protection
« on: March 26, 2010, 07:13:33 »
Can anyone advise on any solutions for freeing up space with seedlings grown in the house.  I have one of those plastic greenhouse things but I daren't risk putting them outside yet incase all my hardwork is ruined by the frost.  I am quickly running out of window ledge space and fed up of flooding them too!  Is there any kind of protection that can be used if they were to go in the greenhouse?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Seedling frost protection
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 07:51:15 »
Its all a mad juggle here too or is that mad jungle!

What sort of seedlings?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 08:13:08 »
I have a set of stacking plastic boxes.  Unfortunately cannot see out of  the window. :o

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 08:25:21 »
sigh, this next two weeks will seem very long.

the last three years the last frost here North Lancs was in the week 13th-17th April.
So not long to go now.
I have a set of thin  greenhouse shelves that balance on my front window ledge.

But I have already put out my hardy seedlings once they reach a reasonable size such as leeks, onions, honesty, sunflowers, lupins its just the half hardies that have to stay in.

I have re arranged how i sow things and have a diary that counts backwards from the last frost to sow things
so sweet corn courgettes and beans get sown around now becuase in three weeks they will be ready to go out but any longer and they will get straggly.

Things like aubergines tomatoes and peppers are a pain though as you want to sow early but have to keep them warm until your greenhouse is warm enough to take them .

You can get small mini g heaters for parasene i saw some in focus the other day.

Other wise its just another couple of weeks to wait ,
worst thing for me is that i keep knocking things off !

not long now
x sunloving

Glenburnie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 19:05:27 »
I like the stacking idea Digeroo. 

I've got collie's, tom's, various lettuce's and herbs and a few flowers, asters, dahlia's etc. 

I can't wait to start sowing courgette's, pea's and squashes, I just need to move the others out first.  I have planted my onions straight in the ground and was going to do the same with my leeks as it took forever to transpant them all last year.

Can't believe they have forecast snow for next week

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 23:33:38 »
Hi Glenburnie,

Put your seedlings on a south facing wall and cover with horticultural fleece, they will be fine. you can then use your greenhouse for the next crop. I have used this method and it has not failed me yet.

Regards
Queenbee
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal