Author Topic: You HAVE been warned!  (Read 1793 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
You HAVE been warned!
« on: April 29, 2010, 10:32:44 »
We're coming to the dry season.
Just because your hose throws a 20' jet, it doesn't follow that it's watering thoroughly.

As a test, how many seconds would you give a square yard raised bed, with 12 well grown Chard plants, with this outflow?

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
Re: You HAVE been warned!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:18:51 »
Does the West of Scotland have a dry season?  ;)

lidd63

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:33:10 »
Go on then. I'd probably give it a minute or two. Probably until the water begins to 'sit' on the surface.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:37:31 »
to water thouroughly i'd say probably a good ten minutes, by throwing a jet of water alot will be lost to the air so will be watering all around the bed.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:39:48 »
What is water sitting on the surface?  I guess that Tim does not have this either.

lidd63

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:46:29 »
Do you not? Perhaps it is my clay soil. It tends to compact when rained on or watered. Seems fine otherwise. I always get good crops from it.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 12:02:56 »
Of course, I didn't mean 'jet' the bed. Just to show that that hose is taking 40 secs to give a Gallon. And of course, if you spray, you're losing a lot to waste.

E&OE, I would suggest at least 4 mins. Which is much longer than you think!!

Water 'sitting'? Yes - with some soils but, if peaty or very dry, this can be misleading.

I ffirmly believe in measuring the flow & then counting the seconds every time. Same with a Drip Hose which gives 1g/ft/hr?

PS Wrote this before the last 2.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 12:08:10 »
Well im not lucky enough to be able to hose except in the garden, and then if my boys are helping it is sprayed everywhere, of course apart from where I want it. So guessing how long and how you did it probably wasnt my forte  ;)
Needless to say I find good old water butt and cans much much easier, although the boys help most of the water goes where I want it to with only a little in thier wellies and mine too. They have fun though and the job gets done

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:14:26 »
And fun's important!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal