Author Topic: Buying on the cheap.  (Read 3916 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Buying on the cheap.
« on: November 11, 2004, 17:14:15 »
I know - nothing to do with computers, but one can read across??

I have always believed in buying locally, especially from those who have been able to offer service. So, looked to our local chap for a new TV. £750. That made me look on the net - £628. Wanted it quickly, & that looked a good saving, so ordered it. Then they couldn't do it from stock, so cancelled & looked elsewhere on the net - £453, next day.Can't wait till tomorrow!!

With service becoming outdated, & local choice decreasing because of capital outlay, I feel that I'm on the downward slope. I would have felt really miserable if I had gone for the first offer & then seen the last. = Tim

PS - I hasten, belatedly, to add - for those who think that my pension is over the top - that we are upgrading from a 14" thing because of our failing eyesight, & we only have a 12" windowseat for it to sit on. I know that I did not need to say that but it adds colour??
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 18:28:22 by tim »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Buying on the cheap.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 18:39:44 »
Tim, Our local place will match or better the price found on the net, I think it is the only way they feel they can compete which is great for us!!  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 20:28:53 »
Don't know how they can do it, but bully for them - & you!! = Tim

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 23:02:06 »
But is it false economy, tim?  All our electrical aparatus - cooker, washer, dryer T.V., radios, fridge, freezer etc. were bought from the same local chap.  We could have got them all cheaper by shopping around, but (and it`s a very big but) if we get a problem with any of them he calls on us within 48 hours and fixes it.  Far better than having to hassle with some supplier 200 miles away who doesn`t want to know you once he`s taken your money.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 23:46:58 »
Have bought many of our household purchases (washing machine, TV, video, DVD, cooker, computers, toaster, sink, taps etc, etc) via the internet over the past 6 years.  All have come with warranties and only the Playstation has broken down (during half term just gone :().  It was still under warranty, so rang.  Following day replacement was delivered and old one taken away.

For our biggest purchase, a range cooker, I did the rounds of the local shops and then saved £1000 by buying online.  (Got left when we moved though :'( :'( :'()

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 08:50:20 »
I know just what you mean, Hugh. Trouble is, all our local shops are going out of business &, with them, the entrée to service engineers. People around here seem more interested in estate agents,& antique & gift shops. Sad!

And we're getting to the stage, with mainly electronic goods in particular, when firms would rather replace an item than repair. Our printer was twice replaced - next day!! = Tim
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 08:53:37 by tim »

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 09:58:18 »
Tim...On Monday 15th. November, Lidl, the supermarket people are selling 28" television's for £169. Three year guarantee.It means queueing but my elder brother who was in the tv trade since the 1950's says they have a high spec. and are fantastic value for money. This firm is where he and I have bought our electronic equipment since they came to town about ten years ago.Their website will tell you the nearest store.At the £700 price range it would be worth investigating plasma screens...kind to the eyes up close.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 11:40:27 »
NOW he tells me!!  Thank God 28" is far too big for us.

But where will it all end? And how do you teach your children & grandchildren the value of things?? Like disposable nappies??  Whereas Harringtons et al lasted for ever.
Disposable cars will be next?? = Tim

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 13:26:15 »
Hi Tim.  New TV arrived yet?  

When they replaced our 11 month old Playstation they made a point of saying they were giving us a similar age, same spec, completely reconditioned model and that ours would be taken away, repaired and put back into the system.  Quite laudable on the part of Playstation, I thought :)

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 14:00:02 »
sometimes with electrical stuff they are just not made to be repaired.
the tv where i work (it's a residential home) packed up after just over a year-having taken it to 2 repair shops, they both said: they don't make repair manuals for the tv (bush), basically they are throwaway items as you can get them inexpensively. :-\

at home we have panasonic-comes out well in the which? reports.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 14:00:23 by Kerry »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 17:44:05 »
Jill - yes indeed - just brilliant!! Only one cry of anguish - from No1 daughter, who is a channel flicker - channel change takes 2-3 seconds. No2 daughter, next door, now wants one - so that she can stick it on the wall, away from her 3 young smashers!!

It's only 20", but that's a lot better than 14! Much nicer for films etc.

Jerry - is it true that plasma screens overheat? = Tim

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 10:05:24 »
Hi Tim...did you mean Jerry or Ken or Jerryken...anyway see there is something on the net about overheating, but a friend with a plasma screen reports no problems except the supplier had his money some two weeks before delivery.£4000.Will ask expert brother when I see him and let you know. See also there are flatscreen rear projection thingies.p.s.....Lidl is a private German group, so best not to mention the war.:-)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 15:20:25 »
Sorry, Ken! And thanks for all the info.

One other choice might have been wide screen - but that would have been too big. But note this quote. = Tim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/photo04/wtv.jpg

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 16:07:37 »
See what you mean Tim. My pal Doug's machine is a Pioneer, and he likes the idea of using it with a computer which he will buy when he gets older (now aged 76).

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 17:03:28 »
May I extend this a bit further? If it's de tros, I'll wipe it.

Daughter wants a DVD player/recorder & has been advised 'hard disk'. Wants multi-region & fast search. £500 tops. Hopefully. What minimum specifications should she look for? Any preferrred brand? Please = Tim

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 20:49:55 »
At the moment, Tim, Sony lead the field in quality HD recorders. There are lots of offers out there by companies eager to off-load non-HD machines to make way for the newbies. You might like to by a magazine or two which cover just this topic. WH Smith and the like. Read and study before you splash out.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 11:53:09 »
Thanks, Ken - that's a start. Yes, I do try to research everything but, with 20-30 specs for each machine  - few of which mean anything to me - it's not easy.

The nearest thing I can see at the moment is the Sony RDRHX900. And I'm sure that anything one buys now is so much better than what one had before that pleasure is almost guaranteed? Trouble is - I'm not the user!! = Tim

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2004, 14:43:54 »
I'm confused (nothing new there) -aren't DVD recorders and Hard Disc recorders different things? A DVD recorder writes to a DVD whilst an HD recorder writes to an internal hard drive, the implication being that the hard drive will only hold so many hours of TV and then you'll have to delete stuff from it, wheras you just keep feeding the DVD recorder with new DVDs?

Jeremy

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2004, 07:53:36 »
Can answer your question now, Jeremy - we have 204 hours (EP, of course) on the re-writable hard disk, & the choice of record or re-writable DVDs. Couldn't afford - & probably don't need - the bigger disk.

Thanks, Ken - I think we like it. Only 1 1/2 hours to set it up, & still learning!!! You need very bright lights to read both the instructions & the 12" long (when extended) remote control. = Tim
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 08:33:31 by tim »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal