Author Topic: New neighbour - trouble afoot!  (Read 2383 times)

LynneA

• Half Acre
  • Urban arable smallhoder
New neighbour - trouble afoot!
« on: September 15, 2003, 13:56:05 »
Arrived back from holiday on Saturday and went to check the plot.

HUGE shock.  Someone had taken on the next plot (the overgrown "wildlife" area.  They had taken out the wood from the raised beds, hacked down the grass, Evening Primroses, fruit bushes and the lovely peach Dog Rose, and torched the lot!

As it has been so dry here, I find this pretty irresponsible.  The guy who has the plot two down in livid as well,  as the fire nearly spread to his trees, and it seems to have driven most of the birds away.

The site sec, as usual, can't see the problem.  His reaction was that the new guy is a gardener (aren't we all?) and a hard worker.  To my mind, torching the plot and risking others is not the best option.

I've yet to meet him, but the "with nature" bunch have decided to form a united front, and show him by example.  

I'll keep you posted, but how do others deal with situations like this?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
Re: New neighbour - trouble afoot!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 16:30:52 »
thats awful lynne. it just goes to show how far apart people's views of what is acceptable are! there's me worrying about cutting down 4 thistles cos it might upset a vole!! it sound slike the sort of thing he/she may have doen without thinking too hard and he/she will probably end up regretting it....

hope any refugees that made it into your plot settle down ok....

good_life_girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 18:04:36 »
That's a shame - but to give this guy the benfit of the doubt, he might not have known any better? It sounds like the sort of thing I might have done when I first got my plot - not knowing anything much about gardening I wouldn't (still can't!) have been able to tell the difference between a weed and a plant. I know I managed to destroy some nice raspberry plants while getting rid of thousands of blackberry bushes, just because I couldn't tell the difference without fruit on them!!

It may be that he just needs some hints & tips on what's good and bad?

Bramble

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 01:31:38 »
Sorry, I've just read this after replying to your "wildlife" thread.

I do understand how you feel, but if the plot was very overgrown he's probably at a loss as where to start. He's obviously decided to cut down the whole lot and create a clean canvas as it were. Also, to be honest he might not be interested in having wild areas on his plot and just wants as much space cleared for growing his veg.

Leaving fires unattended is another matter though - not good.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 02:27:06 »
Eeeh, a tricky one, LynneA - but the Arabic proverb, "Patience is beautiful"?

A few years ago, I could very easily have been your new neighbour - brand new, dead keen, desperate to get started, --- and very daunted, confronted with an "overgrown" plot.  Jump in, both feet first.  I was lucky - my first summer was pretty wet. But this year, I'd be even more daunted when fire takes off so quickly in such a dry summer!!!!

Dunno - I'm not there!  But your new neighbour could "grow" to be an ally?  As well as a gardener who's renting a plot to grow his/her veg.

Hope it gets sorted out!

All best - Gavin

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 01:16:20 »
me been a newby too but i think the fella should be able to do with his plaot as he wants he may have different ideas to what everyone else wants to do and really "live and let live" to be fair to him
He may have some nice swaps or freebies for you all lol

Hope it sorts itself out and dont be to hard on the fella

carloso
another member of i forgot my password

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal