Author Topic: woolie Aphids  (Read 2196 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
woolie Aphids
« on: November 20, 2004, 17:57:43 »
Have been to the allotment this afternoon and a couple I met there were worried about their crab apple tree.  Seemingly it is covered in woolie aphids.  They have cut it right back, but they are desperate for advice on how they can treat it.  It has great sentimental value as it was given  to them by one of their mothers, so they are willing to try anything to save it.  Any one got any good ideas that I can pass on to them?  ??? busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:woolie Aphids
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 19:06:53 »
If it was only a small infection then the best cure is a cotton bud dipped in methylated spirits and used to remove the wool from the aphids. Otherwise any insecticide is difficult to use, since the wool protects them. Actually the wool is a frothy waterproof wax. Now one of the National Trust properties had a major problem with their apple trees, they used a pressure washer on them and it seems to have worked. You need to get the pressure right, too hard and you would damage the bark and too soft the aphids do not get washed off.
Nasty things though!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 19:07:47 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 23:07:57 »
They`re an absolute b*gger to try and get rid of.  As Eric says, the woolly ball is virtually impervious to just about any form of normal insecticide treatment, and apart from methylated spirit and individual hand treatment the only way is to blast them off with a strong jet.  For potted plants I usually find that a  `pump up` pressure sprayer at full pressure and set on full jet will shift them.  The trouble with most pressure washers is that you simply can`t alter the pressure. You might be able to adjust the jet nozzle slightly, but it`s probably more a matter of gauging the right distance at which to hold the nozzle.  You will probably still have to blast each one off singly in turn.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 10:59:14 »
Thanks you so much Eric and Hugh for replying to my plea for advice.  I will pass in on, and I am sure it will be appreciated.  :-* busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal