Author Topic: paper rolls for putting coins in  (Read 1225 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
paper rolls for putting coins in
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:08 »
I have hundreds of these new and useless to me. Can you think of anything I can use them for ,are theytoo small for say starting a parsnip or carrot seed in them,about half the diameter of loo tube

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
Re: paper rolls for putting coins in
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:45:50 »
they'd be really fiddly to fill with compost!  :o

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:49:10 »
I am always looking for something small to keep saved seeds in.
Bamboo cane top protectors ?
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:58:49 »
Would they work as lables? write the name of the plant on them then  fit them on to thin canes . They will rot down eventually of course but they should be biodegradable.

I had been wondering what to do with the inner tubes of some cling film and tin foil rolls as they are often too thin for the loo roll type of sowing too. Now I soak them for a while in used deep fat fryer oil and then place them under the coals on a barbie as an aid to fire lighting. I always soak newspaper with old oil when starting a fire in my little incinerator which seems to work well and uses up the old oil too. There are several people who keep parrafin on site to help light their fires, which I think is riskier than the way I do it.

Other than painting them pretty colours and threading them on to string as a necklace I am stumped for any more ideas.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:07:05 »
Here's another version of PH's fire starter
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/338870/how_to_make_a_fire_starter_out_of_dryer.html
Sawdust could be used also.

Neil
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:09:56 by nilly71 »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:09:23 »
The paper is very thin, although John filled one with soil very easily then folded over the bottom.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 09:29:14 »
Some of the root trainers I have are 5 to a row and 10 rows to a tray as opposed to the more regular sized 4 to a row, 8 to a tray. I find they work just brilliantly, with just enough space and compost to produce really healthy plants for later planting out. I've currently got some heritage peas germinating in some and TPS in some others, but they would work well for a variety of veggies.

This method of growing suits me and helps me manage my gardening, but perhaps is not for everyone. I wonder how similar a size your coin rolls are, as they are easy to fill with soil, I'd be tempted to use them in this manner. You could always make a little cage to support the tubes.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 09:44:24 »
The bigger ones would hold a 10p coin, and some would hold a 5p

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal