Author Topic: what companion planting combos besides the three sisters have you grown?  (Read 4956 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
All combination are listed in carrots love tomatoes.

For anyone not familiar with this it is a book by Louise Riotte - and a very good read.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Oh eck!! I have that book too, I guess I didn't get very inspired by it or I would have recognised the combo's too , no probs with more info Plainleaf I will read the book.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
iAs for ground prep and like all my beds are 1.5 ft deep 4 ft wide and smallest 8 ft long.

1.5 ft deep? Do you double dig everything?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Yes, I wondered about that, mine were that high mostly due to a disability but the cost of the wood and then  filling them was a terrible price, perhaps he  too has a disability and needs the extra height of the beds. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. I get back pains and I often wish beds were higher!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
our beds are between 15 and 18" tall for the same reason  :)

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
robert no i did not double dig  the beds are only 1/2 foot below ground level.

bluecar

• Acre
Please could someone post what the three sisters are.

Thanks

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
bluecar the 3 sisters is planting a block of sweetcorn with a climbing bean to grow up each corn stem. You also plant pumpkins/squash underneath.

bluecar

• Acre
Thanks Sparkly.

I'm surprised. I would have thought the runner beans would have smothered the sweetcorn! I can see how pumpkins would work in between the sweet corn.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
You'd need a tall-growing corn, otherwise use climbing French beans.

artichoke

• Hectare
I too have planted out a new row of raspberries, and I have filled in the spaces with shallots, as they take up little space and will be out before the raspberries need it. Both seem to be doing well. I am thinking of putting lettuce seedlings in the remaining space for the same reason.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
I'm planting wigwams of tall peas among my overwintering onions, but very few onions survived the winter, and I'm only planting peas which I've got very few of, so they're not getting shaded out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal