Author Topic: what companion planting combos besides the three sisters have you grown?  (Read 4955 times)

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
 what companion planting combos have you grownbesides the three sisters have you grown?
please list varieties and types of the vegetables you used and how you spaced them. please do not post any other info besides those related original subject.

I am aware several  other  classic combos the 3 bubbas from a recent "horticulture" article which is based around raspberries;a cabbage, radish and lettuce combo from the victory garden manual 1943;corn, beans, beets from john Jeavsons "how to go more vegetables";radish,carrots onion,and carrots ,radish, lettuce.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
I've underplanted corn with brassicas. It worked well except that I tend to use the space for squashes.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Which  have you done Plainleaf please XX Jeannine PS you forgot the pictures and info for the tomato in cold weather discussion you promised ..did you forget. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
Jeannine I grown all of them but the three bubbas;
since I just found article  a month ago
ps i did not forget it we have had heavy rains last two days.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 15:15:07 by plainleaf2 »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
I tend to grow everything in together and have somewhat random spacings. Sorry!

Carrots and alliums work well together.

I sow calendula and borage in amonst my veg. I had no problem with catepillars last year and very little black fly (thanks to the calendula).
gone to pot :D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Well I have just put some cabbage plants in a large pot with some tobacco plants and a few onions thrown in for good measure.  Only because I have run out of space and do plant 'willy nilly' and sometimes they grow, sometimes not, but it is all good fun.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
onions and garlic in between the cabbages  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
And how did the different systems work Plainleaf..details please XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
I've revised my own one called  3 brothers, it contains
Spring onions
Cucumbers
Surrounded by peas.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
Jeannine they worked fine. radish, onion,and carrots not sure if they had intended effect since we don't have carrot fly here.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
I just sort of hoe the ground and scatter my veg seed on the ground
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
Strawberries with garlic spaced through them.
Cordon toms with oca (or beetroot, or onions).
Tall peas (down centre of bed) with sweet corn either side and potatoes between each corn plant.
Autumn fruiting rasps with daffodils and primroses!

This year I'm trying sweetcorn and oca,
and an all-root megamix: widely spaced jerus. artichokes, yacon, tuberous nastutium, oca, and chinese artichokes.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I put in peas with courgettes.  This is firstly to test the manure and secondly to act as a windbreak on a windy sight.  They have to be a fairly tall variety or they get smoothered by the courgette.

I currenly have strawberries interspaced with parsley.    I must say I would like a suggestion of what to companion with my newly planted raspberries, they are taking up a huge amount of space which I am itching to fill up.  Needs to be something which does not disturb the roots but also keeps down the weeds.  We have loads of fat hen and it needs smootherin since hoeing is no good for raspberries. 

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Digeroo - how about salad leaves with your raspbs? I'm sure I heard/read that somewhere. Actually I might have to try that one myself!
gone to pot :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Thanks aquiliegia Salad leaves sound like a good idea, I was wandering round trying to find a auitable spot.  I hope that the raspberries will fill the space in the end but at the moment they are just a few twigs.  Having said that they (mr fothergills) are sprouting surprisingly well.  Each plant looks like producing 3 new shoots, while the ones I bought last year (parkers) only produced one each in their first summer and are only now a year later producing an extra shoot or two..

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Plainleaf,, a few words isn't enough, it doesn't tell me anything, this is your post therefore I am looking to you to give me the info..XX Jeannine

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
Jeannine what further details would you like.

amphibian

I have intercropped carrots and onions in the past, it was the only year I have ever had success with carrots, all other years the heckers have failed to even germinate. So you could conclude it is a succesful companion system, but correlation is not causation.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
How did you start with any of them, ground prep, dates to plant, yeild, problems, varieties that worked best for you, would you do it again.  Explain the systems, I have never heard or them.XX Jeannine

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
i can't explain how systems work but they do. As for ground prep and like all my beds are 1.5 ft deep 4 ft wide and smallest 8 ft long. All combination are listed in carrots love tomatoes.

I doubt most people even you have heard of many other companion planting combinations
 besides three sisters, which start thread.
Also forgot of another combo I read about a few years ago.

brassicas under planted by white clover to confuse cabbage whites.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:53:44 by plainleaf2 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal