Author Topic: hot spots  (Read 2491 times)

bcbeans

• Not So New ...
hot spots
« on: April 25, 2010, 21:20:57 »
Hello - I have a German Shepherd who has worried a hot spot on his front leg. Someone told me that tea tree oil was good to use - to disourage him nibbling away at it. Have any of you any ideas about this? Grateful for any input. Thanks
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.             Anais Nin

kazzab

• Not So New ...
Re: hot spots
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 21:34:06 »
hi, not sure what you mean by hot spot, but if you mean a sore area you could try using salt water to clean and calm it

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 04:43:40 »
It sounds as though it could be lick granuloma. If so you'll need to see your vet. If you google "canine lick granuloma" you'll get lots of information about it and you can see if that is  what it is.

bcbeans

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:10:53 »
Oh thanks, grawrc - I googled "canine lick granuloma" and it seems to fit that description exactly. He has a tendency to chew on his toes from time to time too. Interestingly, my son has a lovely Dobie who also chews one of his toes, and ended up on antidepressants, poor love!!

It can't be lack of exercise as I walk my GSD as much as he can stand. He is nearly 6yrs old and has a heart condition for which he was given a prognosis of 2 yrs - four years ago! He is still doing well, although I am not looking forward to the warmer weather as that saps his energy no end.

My sweet boy hates going to the vet. He is such a baby and cowers in the corner, shedding hair, sweaty paws the lot!! So I avoid going if possible...but I may just have to if this doesn't clear up soon. Thanks.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.             Anais Nin

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 20:49:53 »
Huskies get hot spots and the vet sells us Hibiscrub which is a sort of antiseptic scrub. Seems to work.

bcbeans

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 00:20:33 »
I've tried bathing it with warm salt water, applying polysporin ointment and banadaging his leg up.....that lasted about 30 seconds!
Distracting him with other chew toys and bones. Good for a while. The last resort I think, will be a cone collar. Ugh! I hate those...and so will he.

woppittess

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 22:25:48 »
Hi bcbeans,

Just a thought, but could your boy have a pollen/dustmite allergy?

GSD's can be  prone to allergies. Had our old girl pts in march, she was 15 years old and had had allergies all her life. Due to other med conditions, she was unable to take medication to ease the allergies (in fact she could have no meds for anything at all), but I found that by washing the 'hot' spots down each day with plain, warm water and dabbing dry, then applying a good dollop of aloe vera gel helped her a great deal. It takes its time to start to work but there was a great improvement - even the vet was pleased with how well she did. It did have to be done daily though and she needed it on all 4 paws, her chin and all her tummy, it would take an hour each morning just to make her feel comfortable for the day and during summer, I would redo her at night.  Not that I minded, she was worth every minute  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal