Author Topic: my pumpkin season has offically started  (Read 2707 times)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
my pumpkin season has offically started
« on: April 25, 2010, 20:50:06 »
hi everyone well it seems an age since i decided to have a go at growing atlantic giants i have done loads of studing this winter getting to know the ins and outs of growing AG'Si have spent lots of time in bigpumpkins.com with some of the worlds best growers getting advice and tips.
i also joined egvga the european giant veg growers association and received some very high class veg seeds in thier annual seed promo.
it took me ages to get my patch sorted as  it was so cold this winter but i have managed it just in time i have two patches one is 1000sq ft and the smaller one is 400sq ft so im going to try to grow 3 pumpkins this year.
 i have sat today and filed and soaked my seeds  i have started 7 seeds off  i have three i want to plant but if they dont germ or have problems i have done some backup seeds also
my lineup is 2x paton 1457, ghaye 1452, gibson 1462, ghaye 1058, ghaye 1360, and a john van hook 696.9
im useing some products i have not used before this year the main one been endo-mycorrhizal inoculant from symbio and a couple of other products litovit co2 foliar spray and azosperillium nitrogen fixing bacteria
well i wish each and every grower good luck this coming year i will try to keep you informed of my progress as the season progresses
all the best mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Re: my pumpkin season has offically started
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 20:58:11 »
Great news Mal, I started mine(not Atlantic) off about two weeks ago. I didn't soak them but did file them then wrapped in damp kitchen towel and into a sealed bag then the went on top of the plasma telly as this seemed the warmest place. Once they germinated I then planted them in my cold frame and one of them has just started showing ;D
I've not finnished the area they are to be grown in yet as I'm still clearing all the carpet, plastic and glass out of the clay >:(
I'm not going to use anything fancy to feed them just chicken/horse/rabbit manure and comfrey juice.

All the best for everyones growing season.

Neil

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 23:09:37 »
Good Luck to all you giant growers, I am doing mini ones again XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 23:15:56 »
sowed 4 atlantic giants about two weeks back and 3 are showing well

beds ready so will just fork it and weed if needed untill the time is right to plant out

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 01:18:46 »
I'll be sowing mine (nothing fancy, just packet AG's for biggies, some Becky for lanterns and a tiddler to eat) this weik... I was up at the plot last week rotavating and the ground isn't very warm yet exzcept right at the surface... plus it's really still quite claggy wet if you go down a couple of inches....

chrisc

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 05:58:06 »
Good luck with your AGs everyone!

I haven't sown any pumpkins or squash yet, later this week perhaps. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 21:30:24 »
sowed 4 atlantic giants about two weeks back and 3 are showing well

beds ready so will just fork it and weed if needed untill the time is right to plant out

i had a look in the missing pumpkin pot and found the seed has rotted,worse smell if ever known

so i sown another seed in fresh compost,should have time to catch up

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 14:08:41 »
well good news all seven of my chosen seeds germinated and shall be going in the ground late next week  under 8ft  hoop houses with heat this should last them about a month or so before i have to remove the hoops houses and the last chance of frost should be gone
also got my giant cabbage in and  giant beetroot is sown in a raised bed my giant sunflowers and giant marrow have been sown also.
lets hope we have a mild spring and everything takes off ok  good luck every  atb mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal