Author Topic: How to make soil more acidic?  (Read 2049 times)

muddylou

• Half Acre
How to make soil more acidic?
« on: April 25, 2010, 23:26:04 »
I used a PH tester today, it indicated my soil is between neutral and mildly alkaline. I use lime in the Brassica bed before planting, just wondered what I could use to make the soil slightly acidic for the tom's and potatoes.
My spuds last year did suffer a bit of scab so I'm putting it down to my soil type. Thanks for any help.   

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
Re: How to make soil more acidic?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 07:33:35 »
I am sure that I would bother if you are close to neutral.

Flowers of sulphur is one recommendation although it tends to be slow-acting.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:44:33 »
With potatoes normally is the application of the manure/compost that is used for not only to feed and make soil better but in addition to lower the ph too.
If you want to acidify your soil...sulfur chips...iron has slight effect but really it should not used that way...not all plants like it..and the effect its not that much...
Generally application of manure or home made compost,if lime is not added will "acidify"..
This is good exsample why crop rotation in right order is so important...after brassicas & lime..could you grow legumes or even roots on the area. insted..?
I have list of  many different crop rotation plans..but all of them state potatoes first following brassicas..
It is the lime that potatoes react to not the acidity itself as such....
If your soil is on alkaline already you do not need add lime for your brassicas....they will be fine..or if you feel like using it ....just some lime mixed in water in their setting in time should do enough...oh..running out of room..continue....

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:51:27 »
....continue...
If alternative space is not option...try to get hold of compost/ manure/ grass clippings/ allsorts of non-perennial weeds and greenbits..anything you would put in compost bin..comfrey, tea bags..coffee grounds.....etc..
put any of the above in when plating hole/rows with you potatoes..like you would "dilute" the lime effect..

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:40:04 »
Re potatoes, some varieties are more susceptible to scab than others.

Have a look at the Potato Council's database and see how susceptible the variety which you grew last year was ... and if possible go for a variety that is less susceptible.

http://varieties.potato.org.uk/menu.php

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 09:00:52 »
Oh..yet another thing... ::) If  you choose to use a lot of greenwaste, mixed in soil with your potatoes...add some high-nitrogen feed ..like chicken manure pellets as while your waste is decomposing it will use nitrogen from soil ..addition of feed will counteract any robbery..
when the green waste has rotted down..then it will start re-release of the nitrogen and feed the plants too.. ;)
Umm...I do try not to sound too tecnical..but sometimes..well..often it cannot be helped ::)

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 12:19:45 »
Thanks for the replies, especially your informed post Goodlife. I understood all of that, I also googled for information. One of the suggestions is to add two tablespoons of vinegar per gallon of water when watering. It was a quick fix and not the best approach

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal