Author Topic: Mega wasp in my compost bin  (Read 4478 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Mega wasp in my compost bin
« on: April 19, 2010, 18:55:40 »
Hi Y'All

Doing some tidying up before the holiday we are not going on (thanks Iceland) I saw a huge wasp creeping into my bin at the bit where you take your compost out.  I whipped off the cover and it reluctantly flew away.  Was it a Queen and am I in danger of getting a wasps nest in my bin?  It most definitely was not a Bee!!

Any help appreciated here.

Regards Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Mega wasp in my compost bin
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 18:59:14 »
Could be, it's the time for queen wasps to be about looking for places to nest.

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 19:00:54 »
Thanks Robert, do you know of any way I can 'manage' a wasp nest in my compost bin, apart from putting a 5 foot exlusion zone round it?

Caro

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 19:04:01 »
Ignore it, and leave the bin alone for the season. You may well find you can dump stuff into it and be ignored, but don't stand where they're flying in and out. I've had wasps right by my path, or in the shed, several times. I've ignored them, and they've ignored me.

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 19:08:11 »
Thanks again Robert, I'm hoping the situation does not arise as I get bad reactions to both bee and wasp stings.  (And I love my lottie and wouldn't want to stay home!)

By the way this was the second huge wasp Ive seen in two days, yesterday we had one in the conservatory, could be they just like to be near me.

Regards, Caro

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 19:17:24 »
Caro, was it the typical yellow wasp colour, or was is a more muted orange/brown?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 19:42:45 »
could it have been  a sawfly ???
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 19:51:31 »
I had a wasps nest in my compost bin the year before last, a friend of mine got rid of it as I am terrified of wasps, (not sure how, didn't want to know). Bees I don't mind because they just get on with what they are doing, but I have been stung quite a few times by wasps for no reason other than being in their way   
Live life to the full, this is not a rehearsal

amphibian

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 19:56:10 »

Like this?

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 20:39:06 »
Maybe a hornet ??

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 23:08:39 »
Hi

Unwashed, it was just like a normal wasp only about 3x the size.

Amphibian:  No thank god, it didn't have that distinctive undercarriage, and wasn't quite as big. (I would have freaked!!!)

Greenhousegirl:  I agree, wasps are really spiteful and sting for no apparent reason.  I had one buzzing round my head as I was seeing some rellies off in their car last year.  I ran down the drive to get away from it, tripped over my front step, and went full length up my hall. Thought I had broken my hip for a moment, but only bad bruising.  Still, unintended consequence of avoiding a wasp!  (And it wasn't even a mega wasp!)

Hippydave and Flowers of Shona:  I do hope it wasn't a hornet, and  sawfly I don't think so (get them up the lottie too).

I'd co-exist with all of 'em quite happily if I hadn't had close encounters of the highly unpleasant kind with each and every one!!

Thanks for your replies all.

Regards Caro

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 09:04:43 »
I had a wasps nest in my compost bin  last year.I took the line of ignoring it as they are only there for a year.But along came a curious dog sniffing around ,i went to rescue the dog and the wasps came out and attacked me.13 stings i got.So do beware !
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 06:14:14 »
It could have been one of the 'European' wasps, which are larger than the English ones.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal