Author Topic: Irrigation doubts  (Read 990 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Irrigation doubts
« on: April 23, 2010, 20:07:04 »
I'm located in Spain and have looked at the allotments of the neighbours and they use irrigation channels, making a small trough in a line and then planting on the side or top or top / side of the heaped soil next to the shallow channel. The logic is obvious, we don't get much rain and they water in the troughs so the water runs along and gets to all plants in the line. It's the accepted way to do things and I imagine they've been doing this for centuries.

Tomorrow I'll be planting out my toms and can't decide whether to follow their method or do what I did last year and plant on the flat and then mulch around the plants. My worry about using the local method is that I can see the roots getting exposed quite easily and an uneven watering, on the other hand everybody does things this way so it must be quite effective.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons?

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: Irrigation doubts
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 23:36:07 »
If their crops look good I'd just ask them if they have any root exposure problems.

Also, might they have another little unseen step they're doing when mounding the soil?

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 15:35:00 »
I lived in Spain (Catalunia) for 11 years and the local market gardeners always used this method on their fincas. They would put the hosepipe at the end of each row once a week and give it a thorough soaking. It was done for tomatoes, asparagus, peppers, aubergines, artichokes etc. Their yields were fantastic - I know as I was often a recipient of their generosity!

Tricia

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:37:59 »
I always grow tomatoes through plastic and I water through bottles shoved into it, so it is never just on top of the plastic. I find that works really well.
Strangely enough, in Europe I find they have not the notion of mulching that much, I am one of the few on my lot to do it, and it works very well in hot weather.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 12:09:24 »
I'm the only one on my site who mulches seriously.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 12:15:48 »
The channel  method sounds wasteful in water.  I am a great mulcher.  Perhaps you should try an experiment with some of each. 

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 16:46:36 »
I forgot to reply to the post so belated thanks to those that answered.

In the end I went for extra mulch (not common here either). It's been quite warm here this week (24º to 27º), been planting out in the evening and no problems from plants wilting so far.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal