Author Topic: More apple trees...  (Read 2899 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
More apple trees...
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:11:28 »
I have spent time this winter clearing an area for planting some more apple trees ::)..I've got 14 now and 5 crafted and ready to be planted this autumn..but I still got room for 5 more..or so.. ::)
Anyway..I have started to go through cataloques..and some names have jumped at me...Pickering seedling, Pitmaston pineapple, Nottingham pippin and Ashmead's kerner...anybody have any of these ...are they worth it...?
And another thing..I haven't grown any Nashi Pears ...do you get worth while crop in this country? Are you growing them...?

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: More apple trees...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:32:15 »
Hi Goodlife,

I am sure I have seen Pitmaston Pineapple mentioned on here before, if you go into search you might find something. 

I love apple trees and am about to look into replacing a couple in my garden that are probably about 70 years old and part of an old orchard.  They have sadly died and I need to find new ones.  Fortunately I had them identified at an apple day at Wisley so can find the nearest replacement.  I found the apple tasting amazing, I never knew there were so many different flavours in apples.  Sorry, I can get quite boring on the subject but not any help to you!! :-[

Good luck

T.

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:28:38 »
Hi goodlife,

Pitmaston Pineapple is delicious, as is Ashmead's Kernel. I daresay others will have other recommendations, and I will say that it takes time to research fruits that will give you a crop over a long period and have compatible pollination periods. If you haven't tasted the varieties yourself, why not wait until the autumn and go to as many apple tasting events as you can? Besides the getting to sample the apples, you might also be able to get professional advice tailored to your site.

Remember to look into cooking apples - Bramley's is ubiquitous and grows as a huge tree, but there are other cookers that are all too often ignored: How about Golden Noble or Annie Elizabeth? Or Peasgood's Nonsuch? Or Arthur Turner with its lovely blossom?

One more thought: early varieties tend not to keep for long, whereas mid and late season ones store much better.

If you're harvesting pears in future, they'll need to be stored away from the apples or they'll make the apples ripen too fast. I haven't grown nashi pears myself because I like my pears melting and juicy, rather than crunchy, but I wonder whether the RHS does, at one of its gardens?

Enjoy the hunt for your Premier League apples!  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 13:26:09 »
I already have enough cookers..and I always run out with eaters..at the moment I have Bramley, Chiver's delight, Katja, Jonagold, White transparent, Stamford Pippin, Melon, Cox , Greensleeves, Belle de Boskoop, Dutchess of Oldenburgh, Ingall's Red, Michaelmas Red and half a dozen Finnish ones that do not have english names....I'm apple nutter...if I was limited to grow just one thing..apple..every time..
I went couple years ago few apple day events...but they were no good..plenty to see but not many to taste and I'm limited how far to travel...
I only just finnished with my last cookers..still edible..started to shrivel but fine..I've had enough of them and birds have had a feast with them now..

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 16:42:52 »
Belle de Boskoop is great, isn't it?

Ok, just a couple more ideas then: How about Herefordshire Russet, which is surely one of the very best modern varieties, and, for a change, a crab apple or two?

BTW: You've probably visited the National Fruit Collections at Brogdale already, so why not take a trip to the National Malus Collection in Essex? I visited a couple of years ago and it was very interesting.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 16:51:05 »
I'm impressed by Braeburn - & it stores so well.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 17:05:52 »
Oh I would love crab..but I have to limit myself for what I can easily use..mind though where ever I have been working as a gardener I have allways manage to talk the owner to have at least one form of apple..wether ornamental/wild or eater/cooker.. ;D
No I haven had chance to visit Brogdale...I've been slavering over they website though ::)..I'm so limited how far I can travel...I live in Notts..and I can only do daytrips...animals etc..cannot leave them..
Northern fruit group have apple day in Harlow Carr and I wen't to see that...there was lots and lots to see but the tasting bit was dissapointment..less than dozen varieties..and there was only about another dozen available to buy..But I did get apple identified so it was not total waste of the journey.
Tim... location makes all the difference..it must like your place as I tried and it did not do well for me..yes it does keep... ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 18:32:21 »
That's a shame about the tasting at Harlow Carr as there must have been about a hundred at Wisley.  There is a website of apple days, nearer the time you might find one near home for you, I am sure it will be posted on here, it usually is.

Enjoy your apples which ever you choose. :)

T.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 18:39:37 »
..so nobody doesn't have any Nashi Pears then..?

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 00:56:57 »
When I was a kid we were shown how difficult it is to tell raw apple from raw potato or raw turnip if you are blindfold with a peg on your nose...

With Nashi pears you don't need to bother with the peg or the blindfold...

I've always had my premier league as the fruits that make you go wow! Mango, Lychee, Tangelo, Greengage, Cherimoya, Durian etc.

Fourth division is for the ones that are just a refreshing drink - watermelon, nashi pear, asian plum, supermarket golden delicious etc. etc.

Not all apples deserve a place in the Premier League:

Ashmead's Kernel has the biggest wow factor I've ever tasted.
Pitmaston pineapple is great but needs to be eaten before October.
Orleans Reinette is what a Cox might achieve if it wasn't so bloody difficult to grow.
Ribston Pippin is a parent of Cox and has much more Wow.
Sturmer Pippin is the only apple that has wow left in December - much nicer than Granny Smith.
William Crump is the only red apple worth eating and certainly the only one worth a place in this exalted company...

Blenheim Orange deserves a mention for that fleeting subtle nutty taste on first bite - but if it isn't a good season and the fruit is more than a few hours old - nothing... so Second division at best.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 01:42:46 »
I had a go at growing Nashi pears (asian pear). I grew two from seed (although I understand that commercially they are grafted onto quince rootstock). They got to about 5 or 6 feet,  2 or 3 years old. They grew vigorously, but I noticed during the last year I had them, some very nasty black blotches on the leaves in early spring, and despite picking them off and other treatments, the blotches came back on fresh leaves. I didnt like the look of them at all, and since I have quite a few pear & apple trees and didn't want to take the risk of something awful spreading, I had them out and burned them.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 06:44:24 »
 ;D..there is plenty of those "turnip" apples around.. ;D..but I do like some refreshes too...white transparent apple is one of them and although not very sweet or strong with flavour department,,I had to grow one for just sake of childhood memories (scrumping)::)..I truly enjoy it and can hardly wait until July when it is starting to crop again. But idea of Ashmead's and Pittmaston is slowly starting to root in me...
I propably just have to give a call for few nurseries, give them good Q&A session and see what they really think about Nashi's....
Jenny...you cruel woman...how did you have heart after all that to turn your trees into firewood ::)..oh well...probably wise move too...you never know..

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 12:09:26 »
Vinlander, my family love our Blenheim Orange tree and I have to put a word in to defend it.  ;D

You're right about them not being 'keepers' (one of the reasons that I bought it was that we all wanted a variety that tasted really special eaten straight from the tree). Tastewise, it was one of a number of truly memorable apples we tasted at Brogdale the year we bought it).

The flavour (of ours, at least...) certainly isn't as fleeting as lasting just a few hours. ??? We've stored Blenheims for a week or so without any loss of flavour/aroma. Not that they get the chance to be stored (we did that as an experiment): the problem is fending off the triffid tribe who would otherwise picket the tree and eat every apple as it ripens.

Apart from the delicious taste of the fresh apples, Blenheim is also great for cooking - it makes stunning apple puree - which also freezes well. But it's probably not the best option for Goodlife, who doesn't need any more 'cookers'.
As a dual-purpose tree, it serves us well - though how I'd love the space for an orchard like yours, Goodlife.  ;)

@ Goodlife and Vinlander: I'd certainly second both of your thoughts on Ashmead's Kernel. Wonderful apple.  :P

Btw Goodlife, have you considered adding a quince to your beautiful orchard?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 18:20:41 »
"Btw Goodlife, have you considered adding a quince to your beautiful orchard? "

Have I..? ;D ;D ::)..I have considered anything and everything but I am starting to get limited with space and time so as for now I shall not have anymore fruit that take too much time in a kitchen... ::)
It does sound like I have a orchard..but no....I would love one..but all my trees are in a lottie..I have quarter of an acre and about half of it is some sort of fruit and berries... ;D

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 00:55:21 »
Oh - I've just thought of Ashmeads Kernel's only disadvantage (the greyish looks aren't a disadvantage - I don't have to worry about kids stealing them).

The flavour changes from brilliant, zingy and sweet to brilliant, zingy and very sweet as the autumn progresses.

If it's a real hot Indian Summer then they can get so sweet by October that they go glassy inside. I think the osmotic pressure damages the cell walls and they lose the sweet/acid balance at this point. I doubt they would keep at all in this state.

It's only happened twice to me (in London) in the last 20 years though...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 08:09:23 »
Thanks to that....I've known some other apple do that..none of mine ..but have eaten some and I didn't really mine..childhood memories ::)
I've also come across with apples with "watery"cores..inside the core amongst the seeds the is definate drinkable amount of sweetish water...?
Anyway, I don't need all apples to be storable..just to munch straight out of the tree..well wipe the bird s.....off first ::)...heaven (not the wiping bit ::)) ::)
And what my belly cannot handle...well I just have to turn some into drinkable form..and store that way ;)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 12:44:51 »
'discovery'
[attachment=1]
and 'bramley seedling'
[attachment=2]
both in blossom today!!
You couldn't make it up!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 20:22:23 »
Ahh..so beautiful...... ;D

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 22:02:57 »
They are just a delight! My apple cordons are flowering like never before - who needs ornamental trees when you can have blossom AND fruit?!  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 22:31:09 »
Last winter I did 5 craft attempts...and they all have started to grow.. ;D ;D...now is that a first time luck or what?
Next winter I hope to find new owners for the couple of spare ones ;D..and maybe from the proceed I'll be able to get some other apple to my "family" of trees.... ::) ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal