Author Topic: annoying marketing calls  (Read 2001 times)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
annoying marketing calls
« on: April 21, 2010, 20:21:39 »
I have been registered for years with both the telephone and mailing preference agencies but at least once a week a call comes through.

I have got one of those phones which displays the number of the caller so I know if it is logged into the system, who it is. The number comes up on the display and some times that indicates enough information for me.

Otherwise I just let it go to the answerphone so that if the caller is some one I know,  They will leave a message so that I can call them back.

Tonight I got a call, the display said 'Unknown' I thought I would have some fun.

El-low I said slowly.............They had my name and asked for me.. I think it was with an Indian accent........... I said something which was total jibberish in what I thought was a foreign accent.

OK , thankyou was the reply and the line went dead.

I get so fed up asking who these people are and them saying they can not tell me unless I agree to be me.

I always, when I call some one tell them my name and then ask for the person whom I wish to speak to.  I know the sound of the voices of my friends and relatives who always ask for me in the familiar first name anyway but I do think these marketing calls are getting cheekier and cheekier don't you?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: annoying marketing calls
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 20:33:04 »
I tell them they have reached a number that is on transfer from a crisis centre , they always say they will remove the number from the list. I hardly ever get one now and I used to get three or four a day.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 20:53:24 »
More bizarre are calls that are legitimate but not thought through. I had a call today from Virgin Media.

Hello, is that Mr ----
Yes.
Ok can you confirm by giving me your passowrd?
No. Why would I give my password to a complete stranger who calls me up?
Well it's for security reasons..
Well duh!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 03:36:06 »
I do not speak a word to marketing callers.  I just put the phone straight down without saying a word.  We seem to be getting less and less over this past year or so.

My aunt asks them to hang on a moment whiles she turns the cooker off.... she puts the phone down on the side and leaves it.  When she decides to pick it up 10 minutes later they have always hung up from there end. ;) ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 05:35:31 »
The ones I hate are the ones who say they are not trying to sell you something.  Problem is the preference system does not work for overseas calls. 

My husband gets very bothered by phone calls because he cannot understand who they are and what they want so I would really like to find a way of stopping them.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 06:09:19 »
I do not speak a word to marketing callers.  I just put the phone straight down without saying a word.  We seem to be getting less and less over this past year or so.

My aunt asks them to hang on a moment whiles she turns the cooker off.... she puts the phone down on the side and leaves it.  When she decides to pick it up 10 minutes later they have always hung up from there end. ;) ;)

I do a similar thing - put the phone down next to the radio and let them listen to TalkSport.  ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 06:16:45 »
I heard that some companies pay on the length of the call, so I have started tyring to keep them as short as possible.

We used to get lots two a night but are currently down to one a week.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 06:23:17 »
My response to these so called callers,

Who is this?
Can you confirm who you are?
How do I know who you are?
Can you confirm your personal details?
How can I confirm these details are correct?

And so on and so forth.
They get the message eventually and no further calls are made.
Peaceful now and only family and friends can get in touch when they want.
This means no more busy tones for them. ;D ;D ;)

Got them back now to put some tread on them

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 06:39:08 »
More bizarre are calls that are legitimate but not thought through. I had a call today from Virgin Media.

Hello, is that Mr ----
Yes.
Ok can you confirm by giving me your passowrd?
No. Why would I give my password to a complete stranger who calls me up?
Well it's for security reasons..
Well duh!

I do the same or ask them for the 2nd and 5th letter of the password, they always say they can't tell me, so I ask why not then they say for security reasons ::)

Neil

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 15:19:26 »
The one we're getting on a daily basis is from an unrecognised number and is a prerecorded message saying if we want free calls and broadband to press 2 now.  No doubt that will automatically take us onto a premium rate line so I don't.  Very annoying though as we are signed up with the TPS.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 15:22:03 »
I usually say "one moment please" and then put the phone down and keep them waiting till they give up and the phone gives its off-the-hook alarm.  Works a treat.  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 15:38:10 »
We've got one of those police signs on the front door no buying etc They still knock.
We've had WWF call after dark wanting us to donate monthly and when OH said he is retired on small pension this "12yr old"proceeded to tell him how they calculated that people on pensions could afford it  >:(
We 're on the tps but occasionally get called I just keep repeating "where did you get my number from ?"until they get fed up  ;)
sanity is overated

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 16:41:19 »
I like replies from landimad and niily71.  Must try them.
If it is a man I say my  You have reach Sexy Susy's special no. and she would love to talk.  If a woman I just say yes and no after a long pause each time, or say Can you repeat that please.  Both answers ends in the call ending quickly.
Sometimes I keep asking them what pizza they wish to order in a foreign accent.   

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 16:58:20 »
I like replies from landimad and niily71.  Must try them.
If it is a man I say my  You have reach Sexy Susy's special no. and she would love to talk.  If a woman I just say yes and no after a long pause each time, or say Can you repeat that please.  Both answers ends in the call ending quickly.
Sometimes I keep asking them what pizza they wish to order in a foreign accent.   
;D ;D ;D
sanity is overated

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 06:25:11 »
If you want a laugh, try pretending you are deaf, keep asking it to be repeated, then answer with something silly as if you misheard, they are not supposed to hang up on you I am told but they can't stand this for very long..of course it doesn't stop them phoning back but it can get very funny XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal