Author Topic: Sweetcorn choice  (Read 9056 times)

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
Sweetcorn choice
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:06:45 »
I am going to have a go at growing some sweetcorn this year, have made a new raised bed and thought I would plant 9 plants (3 x 3) in a block, subject to seeds germinating.

I note though through reading threads on A4A that I cannot mix them which is what I was originally going to do.

I have bought a packet of F1 Swift  and a packet of Incredible F1.

Which in your expert opinions do you think I would be best to try this year ?

Which would give best yield, taste etc.

Also any other tips and advice always welcome

Live life to the full, this is not a rehearsal

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Sweetcorn choice
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 13:17:28 »
The reason that we often say "do not mix" is that if you try to save your seed for next year they do not come true to type and if one variety is extra sweet and other not...well the sweetness will be compromised due cross polination..
But if your varieties are both sweet type and you only grow them for eating there is no reason why you should not mix...flavour differences are that small that unless you are true expert I doubt you would notice any difference..most people grow for pleasant taste...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 13:25:02 »
..ahh..one other thing...your different varieties may release pollen in different times so pollination/setting seed may be irratic so if you mix keep both varieties together not mixing them within the block... ::)Phew..I hope I make sence...
half of the block on variety and other half other..but all together... ::)

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 13:38:37 »
That's great, thank you for you words of wisdom, will give it a go.

P.S.  I am learning such a lot from the kind people on this site and enjoying every minute of it.

Thanks again

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 13:44:49 »
I've bought some Lark which don't need isolating. I think there is another thread about how to mix sweetcorn eg  not sowing them all at the same time, (I think).

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 13:48:40 »
Thank you grannyjanny I will have a look.

Jane

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 14:37:27 »
I think it's under the heading" mixing sweetcorn again". It explains in quite a lot of detail.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 17:19:05 »
This is the thread referred to, very helpful info http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,58763.0.html

Cheers.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 17:47:09 »
Thank you for that very useful, though I may have to read it again to totally absorb, brain cells not what they were and all that 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 19:23:55 »
Incredible and Swift are  both hybrid SE sorns..= se means sugar enhanced, therefore you can grow them together with no worries about spoiling either if they cross pollonate.

By spoiling I mean... if you plant corn from 2 different groups together and they pollinate at the samr time cross pollination will result in the kernels turning starchy and less sweet.

Of  course seeds, if kept, would also  be spoiled but as both of your choices ar hybrids , saving seeds is not a good choice anyway.

Good Luck with you growing..oh if you have room  may I suggest that you plant them in  a block of 4x4 rather than 3x3, as you will get better pollination.. or you can help  at the appropriate time by shaking the top tassle(male) so his pollen can fall on the lower tassles (female)

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 20:03:24 »
Thanks Jeannine

I have room to plant 4 x 4 so will bow to your amazing sweetcorn knowledge.

Thank you very much

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 23:12:13 »
I have grown Lark, they are well tasty.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 09:28:36 »
I agree with Antipodes, and I'm in the still slightly frozen North West.  Not sown any yet myself but might do a first batch in the plastic greenhouse next week.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 10:01:14 »
I started my first tray yesterday, since it's supposed to be going to warm up. If it doesn't work I've got plenty more seed, but the plan is one tray a week to stagger ripening.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 15:59:09 »
I started my first tray yesterday, since it's supposed to be going to warm up. If it doesn't work I've got plenty more seed, but the plan is one tray a week to stagger ripening.

Can I ask how many in a tray you are doing? I've been trying to get my head around how to stagger the sowing / planting

Thanks

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 17:38:29 »
30-ish per tray. Once they're about a couple of inches high, I pot them up, but most of the pots have got peas in them right now.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 18:54:09 »
I grew Incredible F1 last year, I don't think you will be disappointed with the results although it is a late variety, I ended up phoning Thompson&Morgan because the plants just did not develop then all of a sudden I had a brilliant crop of sweetcorn, along with Incredible I will be sowing  'Bantam' also an F1, taking Jeannie's advice on board if I'm stuck for room which is looking likely I will grow them side by side, :)

amphibian

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 19:48:11 »
Incredible, matched their name for me last season.

Are they late? I ate my first one very early, I'll see if I can find the thread.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 19:53:20 »
Incredible, matched their name for me last season.

Are they late? I ate my first one very early, I'll see if I can find the thread.

My mistake the late variety I grew last year was  Thompson&Morgan 'Conquerer' F1, :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 20:03:53 »
I'm growing Incredible1 this year, I've got 17 out of 36 up so far, while no ones looking I'll ask Jeannine how long I should keep them in the pots after they first appear, sorry for jumping in GHG.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal