Author Topic: Peacock butterfly  (Read 1913 times)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Peacock butterfly
« on: April 15, 2010, 23:36:30 »
Spotted on neighbour's drive today, it was sunning itself for ages

Ninny

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Peacock butterfly
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 10:03:17 »
There were a couple of pairs fluttering around the allotment at the weekend - made a change from cabbage whites :-X

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 22:39:30 »
What I forgot to add, that did my heart no end of good, was about the three little boys, one of whom lives across the road and I know his mum, that passed by the end of my front garden when I was digging.  They told me of how they had seen a HUGE hornet, so I said if they went down next doors path they could see a peacock butterfly. I went in and got my wildlife book to show them how I knew the name and they said they had seen other butterflies in the book and kept on turning the pages towards moths and birds. 

I asked them if their mums knew where they were and said they could sit on the front lawn and read it as I really had to carry on weeding my garden.

They sat there for nearly an hour and thanked me when they left for letting them look at my book (it was the Collins Complete British Wildlife) and said I had a pretty garden. Must admit it brought a tear to my eye when I told the mum this morning.

Ninny

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 20:15:05 »
I was lucky, and quick, enough to photograph this one this morning!  :)
[attachment=1]

Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 06:23:00 »
Yesterday, when out looking for trouble makers on the railway I came across this lovely all yellow small butterfly on a hazel bush. Never seen this before and was wonderful to see. No markings as you would find with a Brimstone or Clouded Yellow, just this primrose yellow all over it. Then it was gone, to glimpse one of natures rarities is a picture that cannot be captured. :o :)

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 14:57:00 »
Saw what I think was a Cabbage White this morning fluttering around as I took my sons to school and all I could think was, 'stay away from my Cabbages.'  ;D
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 18:48:03 »
I had a Peacock butterfly on my lottie yesterday, I only knew what it was because the know everything lady on our site told me what it was.    :-X  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

amphibian

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 19:57:20 »
There were about half a dozen tumbling round each other oputside my front door on Saturday. Stunners. maybe it's going to be a good year for them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal