Author Topic: Algae compost?  (Read 3318 times)

Dirty Digger

• Quarter Acre
  • South Devon. Got a small patch and some pots.
Algae compost?
« on: April 17, 2010, 10:42:14 »
not sure if this is the right place to post this but can anyone give me an answer to this question?

Is pond algae any good for the compost bin?

Our pond has loads of algae growing in it, it's obviously ugly stuff, I just wonder if it's any good for composting.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Algae compost?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 10:46:06 »
Yes it can be composted, remember to leave it on the edge of the pond for a while after you remove it so any creatures you scoop out with the algae can find their way back into the pond.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 10:58:13 »
I also throw it straight on the garden.

this should be in the Pond Forum but: Have you tried adding a bag of barley straw to the pond to keep down algae? It works like a charm. I've taken a lidded plastic box that greens come in at the store, punched more holes in it, filled it with the straw and wired it shut. It cleared the pond in about 2 days (this is a small hand-dug pond with no filtering but a fountain helps aerate the water. The water needs to be about 70 degrees F. for it to work well.  I've also used old nylon stockings to hold the straw. The containers should be kept towards the surface of the water I've been told, not on the pond bottom, to get the best result, but I cannot remember the reason. Maybe oxygen?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 13:09:22 »
As it rots it'll soak up the nitrogen the algae need. I imagine that's the reason anyway, and it'll go far faster in warm water so that makes sense.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 13:22:13 »
Barley straw forms low concentrations of hydrogen peroxide as it breaks down which inhibits the growth of algae.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 13:55:51 »
That makes sense. Untreated honey does the same if it's diluted, which is one reason why it's so good for wounds and burns.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 23:25:12 »
That makes sense. Untreated honey does the same if it's diluted, which is one reason why it's so good for wounds and burns.
Robert that sounds like a good way to attract wasps and yellow jackets and then you'd have stings PLUs the wounds and burns ;D
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Dirty Digger

• Quarter Acre
  • South Devon. Got a small patch and some pots.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 01:15:17 »
Yes it can be composted, remember to leave it on the edge of the pond for a while after you remove it so any creatures you scoop out with the algae can find their way back into the pond.

Several tadpoles have been given a chance of survival because of your advice......as long as the french don't have their legs, i'll make sure they croak you many thanks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 10:27:37 »
Robert that sounds like a good way to attract wasps and yellow jackets and then you'd have stings PLUs the wounds and burns ;D

You smear the honey on the wound, bandage it up, and it doesn't attract anything. It stays moist and aseptic, and heals at a rate of knots. It kills MRSA as well. The New Zealanders started reviving honey as a treatment years ago, which is why they're still pushing New Zealand honey for healing. Even the NHS are taking it on board now.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal