Author Topic: The Army life for me  (Read 892 times)

Vony

• Acre
The Army life for me
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:27:56 »

Army life for me.

A single mum.

Tilern DeBique, 28, says she was forced to leave the Army because she was expected to be available for duty around the clock. She was formally disciplined when she failed to appear on parade because she had to look after her daughter. Now she is in line for a payout of at least £100,000 for loss of earnings, injury to feelings and aggravated damages.

Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1265446/Single-mother-soldier-wins-discrimination-case-Army-failed-provide-adequate-childcare.html#comments

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: The Army life for me
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:05:23 »
She was offered a posting at a location where she would not of been deployed on operations for a while. This would of given her a few extra years of stability without being deployed.  But sooner or later she would have to deploy on training exercises and military operations.  If she does not take her turn, then somebody else who has completed 6-7 month operational tours is having to do an extra 6-7 months away from their family, to what they have already done.  The armed forces do have, and offer many compassionate postings to serving members who may need a little extra time to deal with personal welfare problems or similar issues.  

Single parents in the armed forces should not expect to be exempt from deploying on 6 month tours.  Why should they expect the same pay and pension benefits for working Monday to Friday 8-5 as a married service person who has to work extra weekends, go on exercises for weeks  at a time and operational deployments away from their own family.  Childcare is not the militarys' responsibility, nor any other employers responsibility, it is that of the parent.  

We do have many single parents in the military who are more than capable of doing their job, including operational deployments just as their married and single colleagues.  My wife is looking after my 2 children whilst I am here in Afghanistan for 7 months; and there are also many single parents here who have managed to arrange childcare.  Why should she be different?  

Phew, rant over.  People cannot expect to join the armed forces and not have to work away.  There are strong feelings about this over here amongst serving personnel, and they are not nice ones.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:09:34 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:09:38 »
I think most of us agree that the army is not  ideal  for a single mother.

As I understand it, failing to turn up for parade is the same as failing to turn up for work at any job and neither the army nor any business can function properly without a reliable workforce.

Like with most of these news stories, we never seem to be given all the details, just those which are selected to make interesting reading.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:18:04 »
the taleban must be laffin their heads off
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal