Author Topic: Brambles or something else?  (Read 1764 times)

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
Brambles or something else?
« on: April 13, 2010, 11:11:43 »
My allotment was sprayed and rotivated before I took it on.
There are now a few things reappearing in various spots.
How do I tell the difference between brambles and raspberries?
the leaves coming through look the same as my newly planted rasp canes .
also if they are brambles are they worth keeping ? can they be contained in some way?
any advice most welcome. ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Brambles or something else?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 13:08:38 »
In general I find that brambles don't grow straight up, like rasps usually do, also they have thicker thorns. Please don't keep them! I made that mistake and then had trouble getting rid of it. Dig them straight out, get as much of the roots out as possible.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 13:31:53 »
My bramble weeds grow very vigorously.  In general they are considerably bigger than raspberries.  Brambles also tend to have thorns on the back of the leaf veins.   Perhaps the other difference is the speed of growth if they grow six inches while you make a cup of tea they are most likely brambles.  (Well a few inches in a couple of days)   Be brutal.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 15:41:28 »
I have bramble growing around my outbuilding...it gets "yearly haircut and it is not bother..as long as it is pruned..and as it is looked after I get huge amount of qood quality berries...plenty for me and the birds..and it doesn't take much room neither.. ;D ;D

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 18:31:38 »
If I were you , I would dig them all up.

Modern varieties of raspberries and thornless blackberries are a great advance on what may be growing on your plot.

There may well be troublesome weeds amongst the roots and you will spot those when you dig.

This is my thornless one. The yield is huge.
[attachment=1]

http://allaboutallotments.com/index.html

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 18:47:14 »
When we took over our third of a plot in January I was so excited to see we have brambles!  I gave them a good pruning back, and hopefully will be able to make my favourite crumble later in the year!

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:10:58 »
My bramble weeds grow very vigorously.  In general they are considerably bigger than raspberries.  Brambles also tend to have thorns on the back of the leaf veins.   Perhaps the other difference is the speed of growth if they grow six inches while you make a cup of tea they are most likely brambles.  (Well a few inches in a couple of days)   Be brutal.

Ha Ha
Brambles it is then,they appear to have grown a 6 inches overnight.
I shall attempt to dig them out later.

thanks for all the replies. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal