Author Topic: Winter squash to climb up a trellis?  (Read 4877 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
Winter squash to climb up a trellis?
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:54:22 »
I've got space for two:  one is going to be Betty's Tromba d'Albenga but can't find a second.

Needs to be able to climb up a trellis, for winter storage and look dramatic or interesting.  Any suggestions? 

Also, did anyone ever grow Twonga?  Maybe it's just the name that's appealing and the colour, oh and the shape actually, but never seen it mentioned here so wondering if it's worthwhile.

Thanks

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Winter squash to climb up a trellis?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:47:59 »
Uchiki Kuri I think will climb. I do hope so because that is why I bought it :).

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 15:37:48 »
Last year I grew 'Barbara Butternut' with great results.

I grew one on a wire boundary fence and it supported itself without tying. The others were grown on the ground.

Each plant produced at least 5 distinctive green striped squashes between 1.7 and 2.8 Kg. Not bad considering the poor summer.

They are orange fleshed and store well. The photos were taken on 9th October.

http://allaboutallotments.com/Butternutsquash.html
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 15:40:10 by allaboutliverpool »

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 21:16:49 »
Crown Prince and Butternuts climbing my trellis in 2008. The larger Crown Prince is being held in the red net. Last year I had Butternut, Guatemala Blue and Uchi Kuri climbing on the same trellis.

[attachment=1]

Tricia

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 21:26:28 »
Tricia how big was your trellis please.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 21:45:42 »
We made a frame for two 6' x 3' cheapo trellises from Poundstretcher. This will be its third year and I will probably need to replace the trellis part next year. But it's a cheap way of saving space in my small garden!

A couple of weeks ago I bought even cheaper ones at the Pound Shop which I attached to the house wall for my Kiwi plant to climb up.

Tricia

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 08:25:20 »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Yours is a bit macho for me allaboutliverpool - you'd need a very large family to eat one of those up in time.  Impressive, mind.

I'm a bit ignorant about squashes - do your answers imply that any trailing squash will climb up a trellis naturally because I was unaware of that and thought some would be more willing than others.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 18:55:34 »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Yours is a bit macho for me allaboutliverpool - you'd need a very large family to eat one of those up in time.  Impressive, mind.

I'm a bit ignorant about squashes - do your answers imply that any trailing squash will climb up a trellis naturally because I was unaware of that and thought some would be more willing than others.

And I thought that given encouragement any squash could be trained up a trellis as they grow so long/far aross the ground.  Do they have to be classified as 'trailing' squash for this to work?   

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 13:29:02 »
I usually grow red kuri and butternut squashes and always point them at the wire mesh fence along the back of their bed.  Otherwise they gallop away into the farmer's field behind or all over the paths between beds.   

They climb up quite happily and the fruits get more exposure to the sun for ripening.   I've tried Crown Prince and Blue Hubbard too but the slugs got them before they could get going.  I'll protect them better this year.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal