Author Topic: hello...newbie here!  (Read 2111 times)

absolutebeginner

• Not So New ...
hello...newbie here!
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:55:59 »
Hello everyone, having been reading for several weeks i felt it was time to introduce myself.
i've just got an allotment after 3 long years on the waiting list!! well i say on the waiting list, but when i rang them a few weeks ago to find out where i was on the list they had lost my details and i wasn't even on the list!! :o had visions i can tell you of having to wait another 3 years as apparently that's the usual wait here, but had a phone call last week to have a look at my allotment

it is half of a very large one that had belonged to a man in his nineties, who had worked it for years but just become too frail to carry on with it, so a bit of work to get it up together...lots of weeds but not too bad  :) there is also loads of rubbish there that the council said that they would take away.
i got the paperwork on Friday, rushed up to the town hall to get everything signed and sealed...so tis all official! ;D

i'm an absolute beginner to veggie gardening (well any gardening really) so am sure that i will have loads and loads of questions over the coming weeks. we have started by planting some taters which we put in yesterday...just hope they do ok as it was a bit of a rush job...next plan i think is to look at onions and carrots and squashes...i also wanted to put some asparagus in too...well everything really, but think i need to be realistic especially as a beginner lol just not enough hours in the day with the kids and work!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: hello...newbie here!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:05:25 »
Hi, and welcome to the site! Ask whatever you want, we've all been beginners at some point- I've had my plot 3 years now but still ask very basic questions. Let us know whereabouts in the country you are asthat can make a doifference to the advice.

One thing I would say if you arethinking of growing asparagus is that you need to get as many weeds as possible out before you plant, as getting them out later is nigh on impossible (I speak from experience!.

Things like squash andcourgettes can be planted through black plastic tokeep the weeds down.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:12:54 »
Hi AB :)

Welcome to Allotments for All!!

This web site helped me out alot when I took on my allotment two years ago.
I hope you have as much fun with yours as I have with mine.

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:21:22 »
Congratulations and Welcome to A4A, have fun  ;D
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:26:15 »
Welcome to A4A...  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 11:33:56 »
 Welcome from me too, I just left the uk so am familiar with most of it, I can help you with any squash or corn probs or questiions especially. Have fun. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 16:17:08 »
Hiya, welcome to the nut house  ;D
here's to a brilliantly productive season for us all , spuds are a good start, difficult to do them wrong , have fun  ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 17:01:42 »
Hi and welcome to A4A absolutebeginner  ;D

Remember to take lots of progress pics - its great to look back and see what you have achieved  ;)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 18:25:18 »
Wotcha! and welcome to the forum.
You couldn't make it up!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 18:51:39 »
Hello and welcome.  Everyone is very friendly and helpful here so if there's anything you want to know - just ask.  ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 19:28:47 »
Hi Ab and welcome, I started on my allotment five years ago and didn't have a clue, there's lots of help on hear so anything you want to know i guarantee someone will answer your question.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 19:38:49 »
Hello and welcome to A4A from me too. Congratulations on your new lottie, pictures if you can  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 19:54:17 »
Welcome to A4A

I am now in my 3rd year down at the allotment and enjoying every minute of it.

All the members on A4A are very helpful and have a great sense of humour.

Happy Gardening

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 19:58:19 »
Hi absolutebeginner, welcome to A4A.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

jono

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 20:04:21 »
Hi and welcome, some advice from my knowlege:
1) In your first year plant what you will eat, dont get to adventurous, also the more potatoes the better as they are great at turning and opening the soil.
2) Your shed will be your new best friend too!! and make sure you have a good green house area or propergator
3) Keep your boarders weed free otherwise all your weeding will be for nothing!!
4) Speak to other lotties they have prob been there for years and know what grows best and what not to grow depending on where you are, also they tend to share there crops if your nice!!
5) Enjoy!!! There's nothing better then growing, cooking and eating your our food!!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 20:07:46 »
Welcome!  ;D

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 20:31:45 »
Welcome from me too- am just starting out with veg too and am learning lots from the fiendly folk on here!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 20:41:17 »
Welcome AB and hope you enjoy your new plot. Can I just add one more thing to all the above, when you take a picky once, you are up and running, are you able to show it to the dear gentleman who had the plot before you? I'm sure he'd give you lots of help and advice if you needed it, and be interested in who's looking after his plot now  :)

Ninny

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal