Author Topic: Summary Care Records  (Read 1431 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Summary Care Records
« on: April 24, 2010, 23:39:18 »
The government intends to roll out this system nationwide over the next five years. The only way to avoid being included is to opt out - otherwise your records will automatically be included.

I don't want to be included and have downloaded the form, filled it out and handed it to my GP to be included in my file. She was glad I did as it reminded her that she wanted to bring up this subject at her next staff meeting. She said that the whole idea of everyones's medical history being held on a national data base makes her shudder. We all know just how efficient the government has proved to be in the past with data!

The form can be downloaded here - scroll down to page three.

http://www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/systemsandservices/scr/documents/optout.pdf

Tricia

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Summary Care Records
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:11:47 »
I thought this had already been done!   ::)  We were debating the pros and cons of it back in 2003 when I did a course with the Open University. 

I am all for having our notes accessible on a database.  If I fall ill or have an accident in any part of the UK it would be comforting to know that a GP or hospital would have access to my records immediately. 

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 12:09:49 »
If I fall ill or have an accident in any part of the UK it would be comforting to know that a GP or hospital would have access to my records immediately. 
That won't happen, England, Scotland & Wales all use different systems which are not linked so if somebody from England was on holiday in Scotland or Wales their records would only be available by letter, email, phone or fax the same as they always have been.

In Wales the equivalent scheme is called "Individual Health Records" an IHR is only accessible by an out of hours GP service & they must obtain consent from the individual before they access it unless the person is not fit to give consent eg: if they were unconsious as opposed to the English scheme where it is assumed people have already given consent (even though they may not be aware this scheme exists) for anyone to view their records unless they have chosen to opt out entirely. Patients in Wales must make an application under the data protection act 1998 to the out of hours GP service in writing if they wish to view their IHR.
The Welsh scheme is currently only running in a couple of areas when it reaches my area I will be opting out as my records are regularly full of mistakes & confidential information has been passed onto other people on several occassions already. In the event I need medical attention I would much rather they had accurate information about my health, any current treatment, allergies etc... which I can provide & if the info is not on a database it lessens the risk of confidential medical information being viewed by other people (again).

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 12:39:25 »
Thanks Tricia..all printed out ready to go... ;D I do not have any faith for NHS record keeping ...I have enough trouble with all medical profession as it is..been sorting so much out myself... >:(..I can't even get them to get my bloody name written down right..... ::)..and it has been like it now 17 years! All my medical records..prescriptions has spelling mistake and how many times I have mentioned about it... ::)
..so no thanks for me...for now..and we'll see some years down line how it turns out...I can reverse my decision later on if needs to be....

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 11:51:04 »
May I just point out the slightly curious wording of the opt-out form.  Although the accompanying letter says that you can choose not to have an SCR, the form is actually a "Request for all clinical data to be withheld from the Summary Care Record".

I'm seeking clarification via a Freedom of Information Request, but the wording suggests to me that:
  • Since it's a request, they can choose to ignore it and load your data anyway.
  • A record will be created, willy nilly, but that not all data is mandatory.
  • The only data that you can request not to be loaded is "clinical" data.  So I suppose that many of ones intimate personal details will be on the SCR, but perhaps not the "clinical" data.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 12:39:30 »
Let us know how you get on Melbourne12, I too filled out the opt out form, already had all my details lost thanks to child benefit office being useless so no faith in the NHS!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 12:56:08 »
We got a letter each a few weeks ago from our PCT telling us we were being put on & containing a form to opt out. If we did nothing we'd go on. Whilst I think the whole thing is typical New Labour big project expensive fail, I couldn't see how opting out could be of any benefit to me.
So, I think as your details are transferred you get an opt out letter automatically. Maybe it's just here though?

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 19:25:57 »
I would be glad when this finally comes in.

Currently I have to take time off for 2 different hospital clinics both requiring bloods to be done a week before. both are 4 times a year and eat up most of half a day each visit. This costs me 8 days a year lost income.

Ok, but the GP also expects me to also have bloods/blood pressure/weight etc done twice a year purely for his benefit. Thats another days income lost, for no benefit to me at all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal