Author Topic: I've got newts  (Read 7016 times)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
I've got newts
« on: April 06, 2010, 22:02:03 »
Looked at my pond yesterday & couldn't believe that there were 3 large newts pottering around, where did they come from? I completely emptied it last autumn (it's just a concrete bowl set in the top of the rockery.) There was no sign of life at all & there hasn't been any water in it for at least 2 years.
The problem now is will they have enough "stuff" in the water to survive as there is only a few bits of plant in it as yet?

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
Re: I've got newts
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 14:00:46 »
how lovely! I love newts used to catch them as a kid but I have loads of frogs in my little pond now and have been told they don't mix well (think they eat frogspawn)
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 14:09:05 »
Thats wonderful - have yet to see my allotment residents this year!
Sorry I can't answer your question  :)

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 22:48:02 »
They'll survive OK. More plants would mean they might like it better. They lay their eggs on the leaves so if you could put some weedy type of stuff in that'd be good.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:17:11 »
I can feel a trip to the garden centre coming on - & it won't be just what I went there for that I come home with!

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 15:41:19 »
The newts will eat most of the insects in the water and worms, slugs and other stuff out of the water. Just make sure there is somewhere damp/shaded out of the water for them to rest.
I can't remember the name of the plant but most pond/garden centres do them, they are usually sold in lengths of about 12" and have loads of small leaves all the way up. The female newt wraps an egg around each leaf, so keep an eye out when looking in your pond.
You just have to try and find out what type of newt they are, some are protected by law.

Neil

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 23:55:39 »
It is Great Crested Newts that are protected. They are big, black and have an orange belly. If you had them in your pond you would feel so honoured you would be inviting neighbours round for evening viewings.
You can easily newt watch in summer by waiting for dark and then shining a torch in the water. You will then be able to see the newts swimming to the surface and hunting below the surface. They are very active at night.
Over winter the newts will have hibernated on land. I find they often use my greenhouse and they go under pots or stones.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 21:16:36 »
Thats wonderful - have yet to see my allotment residents this year!
Mine have gone too 1066! Where have all the Hastings frogs gone?

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:35:54 »
Interetsing as I saw my 1st newt and my 1st slow worm of the year this week  ;D  But I haven't seen any frogs on the plots yet - too early for frog spawn or has the winter slowed them down?
I have also yet to see any of my resident toads in my garden yet
Maybe they are all behind cos of the harder winter we had - I know I am   ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 08:44:23 »
Oh my frogs are all done and gone their stuff... ;)..and results of that "stuff" has hatched too..so the evidence of any promiscuous behaviour is well hidden ...now the newts are only just starting..and I can watch it all over again.. :o ;D..free "XXX chanel" ;) ;D

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 21:46:48 »
sounds like great viewing Goodlife  :D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 22:15:05 »
 ;D ;D ;D

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 22:26:04 »
how lovely! I love newts used to catch them as a kid but I have loads of frogs in my little pond now and have been told they don't mix well (think they eat frogspawn)
marg
read somewhere that newts eat taddies but frogs get their own back as they (newts) spawn later and the frogs tuck in :o
sanity is overated

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 22:37:19 »
I have seen several newts in circle around clump of frog spawn..munching away...
I bet it does happen other way round too..well not literally, not with spawn..but with frogs.. ::)
Most frogs leave the pond after mating anyway so I doubt the damage is too great..
I only have small pond and I have counted 20 newts on surface in same time so frogs are not doing too much damage to their numbers...
They only do what we do....SWAP... ;D

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 23:37:56 »
came across a couple of newts in the garden tonight, have seen the odd one or two before. Mostly 1000's of frogs though and a few toads. posted some pics on the blog www.jcook.co.uk/jcblog

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 09:51:15 »
Just a quick update - my 3 newts have produced lots of baby newts which now provide hours of entertainment for Jemima my cat.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 07:47:38 »
Lucky you! And I hope Jemima is being a good mum  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal