Poll

Which type of grrenhouse heating do you have?

Electric (mains or other)
18 (32.1%)
Parafin
19 (33.9%)
Gas (bottled or mains)
1 (1.8%)
other
0 (0%)
none
18 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Greenhouse heating  (Read 21833 times)

skypilot

• Quarter Acre
    • Photo Page
Re: Greenhouse heating
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2005, 09:27:43 »
I would have assumed the water warms up providing more heat...maybe??

I suppose there may be some truth in that EJ  :)

However, I found the following on Google:

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/Wick%20stoves%20lanterns%20&%20heaters/Eltex%20heaters.htm

This shows presumably, the modern form of heater and there is no tray or second heating cylinder, but two seperate burners each feeding a single cylinder  ???
Confused - I am  ::)

Interpolating the burning times, I have concluded that my heater should burn for 8 hours on one fill, with both wicks burning or 16 hours on one fill with one wick burning. So that should keep the greenhouse frost free over night anyway  :)

The above link should be helpful to those with paraffin heating as it gives a list of spares etc for various burners, I hope it will help anyway :)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 09:30:08 by skypilot »
Here are some pics of my allotment  & others!!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/286599773CoPRDK

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2005, 16:26:34 »
Tim,

sorry for not replying, didnt see the post, no not thermostatic controlled, I didnt know paraffin could be

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2005, 22:05:39 »
im following the crowd here- definetely electric. Although i tried parrafin and switched to electric and found it cheaper. A thermostat will ensure you dont provide too much heat (and thus waste leccy and money) and will keep temperature constant. Perfect. ;D
I LOVE OP AMPS!

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2005, 00:09:16 »
I have toyed for two years with the idea of artificial heat in the greenhouse (mine is 6'x6').  I reckon that electricity would be the safest and most economical, if I ever get 'round to it. 

From March 'til May, I line the entire inside of the greenhouse with bubblewrap to retain what warmth there is.  I also check the low/high temps in the open air as well as in the greenhouse this time of year until the weather is more reliable.  Currently the lowest night temp is +8 degrees. 

Any seeds that can't handle the fluctuating temperatures of the greenhouse germinate in the lounge!

It's what pasting tables are made for ;D

Art
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 22:57:35 by SEDUM »

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2005, 13:04:50 »
Can I change my vote?  ;D
Was on parrafin and in a fit of retail therapy at Gordon Riggs got an electric heater and its miles better  :D
Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2005, 10:52:07 »
Can I change my vote?  ;D
Was on parrafin and in a fit of retail therapy at Gordon Riggs got an electric heater and its miles better  :D

No But you can try to vote again - if it will let you that is.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal