Poll

Which type of grrenhouse heating do you have?

Electric (mains or other)
18 (32.1%)
Parafin
19 (33.9%)
Gas (bottled or mains)
1 (1.8%)
other
0 (0%)
none
18 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Greenhouse heating  (Read 21822 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Greenhouse heating
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2005, 23:13:48 »
Definately need plenty of insulation, well that is what I think.  I had a similar problem and that is why I now have leccy plumbed into the ghouse and a thermostatically controlled fan heater.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2005, 00:16:52 »
That seems the only sure way to go but does it make your meter whizz round fast??? :(

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2005, 10:28:25 »
Ah you see the problem is I cant get electricity out to the greenhouse (or rather getting it out there would be prohibitively expensive). So I have to make do with the parafin job (any ideas where i could look for an 'ancient' model liek you suggest?). The one i have wasnt that expensive and is easy to use (and while a bit smelly doesnt seem to harm plants).

I think insulation is the key, I was hoping to do without as the GH is is a fairly warm spot but recent nighttime temperatures have changed this.

Would horti-fleece do any good, as i have loads of this and would have to buy in bubble sheeting ? How about fixing it to an aluminum greenhouse? I know you can ge special fixers but as you can probably tell i am trying to keep costs down to a minimum.

Thanks

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2005, 16:37:17 »
I thought of the fixing the bubblewrap? Either ducktape or put a wire across the apex of roof and the 2 top sides and tuck behind?

Ebay didn`t come up with really old sort with round wick but many others. The old one I got even had fuel guage and esso blue sticker!!!

bubblewrap probably best bought from office supplier rather than garden centre, someone like viking direct etc.they are on-line somewhere and I think a whole roll of bubble was about a tenna.

ask some old people locally, they may have an old type heater rusting away in a shed somewhere.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2005, 18:29:54 »
I guess you could lay the fleece over the plants or seed trays that need the protection, but I don't think it would provide all over insulation...unless someone is going to say otherwise.  I use bubble wrap and couldn't find anything to hold the stuff up with, tape is okay until it gets wet, then it all collapses and wires, well twice I nearly decapitated myself, so now I use, wait for it, top tip coming up,  ;D pegs!  Yup, good old plastic cheap clothes line pegs.  I take them apart, deposit the metal spring into the bin and use the thin end of the peg to carefully 'pin' the bubblewrap into the frame between the glass and the rubbery bit.  Thought I would break the pains, but never have and it works just fine and dandy for me!  It holds it nice and tight, and hey, the colours look cute! hehehehehe

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2005, 21:03:15 »
I just tried holding the bubblewrap up by using the staple gun....... :-[ alas, no glass left :P

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2005, 09:44:29 »
One solution I've thought of but haven't tried is to reduce the volume you're trying to heat. Imagine heating a cloche erected inside the greenhouse rather than the whole greenhouse? I'm planning on draping bubblewrap from the centre of my greehouse to halve the area, as even bubble wrapped the temperature struggles up to 50 degrees using a gallon of paraffin a day. Of course it might help if I can find a large enough socket to bleed my water pipes so I can use the smokeless coal system.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2005, 11:01:27 »
Thanks to all for replies and suggestions. Many thanks.

I think I will have to invest in some bubble wrap pretty soon. Even though the nights are a bit warmer now, the heater iss still struggling to keep the temperature up at night. During the day is no problem - i am even able to turn off to save parrafin.

Unfortunately 'djbrenton's' dea of partitioning the greenhouse is not really practical as the 'house isnt really big enough. Nice idea for a bigger greenhouse though.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2005, 23:56:00 »
Am also looking at greenhouse heating. I think it was in permaculture mag where i saw something for heating up water - copper piping, black to capture solar heat which might be interesting to do. Perhaps I could also keep water in the greenhouse in bottles - would perhaps slow the cooling of the greenhouse? Something that Yeoman whatsit said - using water filled bottles around pots..
My "greenhouse" is a corrugated plastic sheeting extension onto the shed in the back garden. There are a few gaps - some in roof, others by the door where rain seems to get in (also acts as ventilation) and I was wondering what sort of heating I could use - not sure of the size - quite large really in area with concrete flooring and sides. Temperature in there with shed window & door open was 4 degrees C last night. Closed the window today, so I will see how much difference it makes tomorrow. My dad used paraffin in his greenhouse, though not very often, and I remember him having to clean the windows in spring - all the soot, etc...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2005, 10:35:41 »
I have decided to use parafin - but only when nessesary. Otherwise I will rely on insulation and the sunny spot the 'house is in to keep things warm in milder periods, or when i have seedlings at a critical stage in there.

I have decided also to use an electric propagator on a windowsill indoors (conservatory) for things like tomatoes which need warmth.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2005, 18:41:12 »
Shouldn`t get "soot" from parafin heaters, I think that happens when the wick is too high, you can see the smoke coming off when too high.
Try an old fashioned type with a round wick if you can find one, it is much much more fuel efficient than my super new one!

An automatic window opener is also an amazing little invention for about £20 which can probably be bodged to work on most things, even doors if no windows available, two types are for normal opening windows and the louvre type with slats of glass.

What am I talking about? everything I try to grow in propagator or greenhouse dies but when other half is growing it iit turns out fine!!! :-\

Andy

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2005, 21:23:30 »
Have been looking into getting a paraffin heater - would like to get one that is not just going to be frost protection. Quite liked the look of the big red one but that is too big. The super 7 would cover the area of my "greenhouse" which is 5.75 square metres, but how good would it be for doing more than frost protection (checked the greenhouse tonight and it was already at 4 degrees C by 8.30pm)? Then I found this: http://www.hurricanelamps.co.uk/paraffin_heaters.htm - I like the top one - boil a kettle at the same time!, but this I think would be too big. How about the second one with a maximum output of 2.0 kW - would this be suitable?
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2005, 12:40:30 »
I have been using paraffin for about 4 years now, its a parasene superwarm 4, keeps it at a constant 48 degrees, I did use a superwarm 10 for a couple of weeks but it used a gallon of fuel every other day, it did keep the temp at 70, but was costing far too much, my gh is 7x6.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2005, 19:12:02 »
I got a superwarm 10 (I think) It is rubbish :o

Old fashioned ones the best,@40years old and cost effective.
Still got its Esso Blue sticker with the rusty bits!!!

skypilot

• Quarter Acre
    • Photo Page
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2005, 19:01:38 »
I have moved this, as I obviously unwittingly used it as a new topic,  :-[ didn't see this one,  ::)  can someone help with the query please?

I purchased for a token fee the following Eltex Greenhouse Heater:

As can be seen the casing is totally zinc and it appears to work alright. I think the theory of operation is that the heat is directed from the wicks and travels up the windowed chimney from there it travels to either side of the of the bottom horizontal cylinder (heating that in the process) and then presumably to the vents located in the sides from where it heats the external air.

I wondered if anyone could throw some light on the following questions:

What would be the approximate year of manufacture of this heater?

Is the top horizontal cylinder connected to the bottom one ?

I was informed that the horizontal tray above the bottom horizontal cylinder should have water in it (which it has). I assumed this was to provide a moist atmosphere, but doesn't paraffin deposit moisture in the atmosphere of its own volition and if so then why place a dish of water there?

Can anyone tell me exactly how this heater is supposed to work?

Here are some pics of my allotment  & others!!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/286599773CoPRDK

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2005, 20:06:53 »
Simon - so yours is thermostatic??

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2005, 20:20:27 »
Does the water trap any fumes from the parafin???
I have one of those! just the botttom part of heater though.

fred

• Not So New ...
  • I twart I taw a wunner bean
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2005, 21:28:01 »
Found parafin heater a tie last year as had to light every morning and evening

Plan to fit electricity at weekend for heat, light and circulation

skypilot

• Quarter Acre
    • Photo Page
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2005, 22:43:28 »
Does the water trap any fumes from the parafin???
I have one of those! just the botttom part of heater though.

I don't know Andy, how do you suppose it would do that ? The fumes (heat)  as far as I know disperse either side of the first cylinder and exit at vents either side of the heater and I think, one at the top centre of the top cylinder, I don't see how they could react with the tray of water.

You say you have only the bottom part, do you mean one with only one cylinder ?

As an aside, my elderly friend has just supplied me with a Valor three bar free standing gas heater and a full 20Kg cylinder, I'm spoilt for choice now  ;D

I think I'll just use the gas heater for heating when I'm working in the greenhouse on cold days and use the Eltex heater as frost protection.

Which raises another question:

How long will the Eltex heater last on one fill, it holds about 2 Ltr of paraffin ?
Here are some pics of my allotment  & others!!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/286599773CoPRDK

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2005, 22:45:39 »
I would have assumed the water warms up providing more heat...maybe??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal