Author Topic: Wireworm plus Mustard...green manure or edible mustard and potatoes?  (Read 2301 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Silly thought has come to me. We are clearing a bit of field and I've read re wireworm in previously grassed areas...others have said to co-plant with mustard. Would it matter if it was green manure mustard or edible mustard?
Jackie

PAULW

• Acre
I have read it is green manure mustard is grown so far then cut anddug in to the ground this then decomposes giving of a gas which the wireworm dislikes.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
The version of the story I heard was that the wireworm eat so much mustard that they're big enough to pupate - ordinarily that might me munching away for several years.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
this is quite informative and mentions your mustard, but I think the answer is yes it matters which one you plant, and no, it doesn't really work very well anyway
http://attra.ncat.org/calendar/question.php/2008/08/18/p6138

it's mainly a problem for commercial growers - you'll be working the soil much more often, which helps get rid, and you probably don't mind eating potatoes with holes in them  :D

we got ours under control in a season or two. think they were more of a problem with our lettuce than potatoes

the article suggests planting potatoes or ripe carrots, leaving them for a couple of weeks and digging them up again to see what you've got

Hector

• Hectare
Interesting article :) I think we are just going to have to live with it.
Jackie

gaz2000

• Half Acre
the only method ive heard of is similar as before and thats to set a bait

whether growing a carrot or potato crop for a short period or to dig in half potatoes to catch them

ive heard though that they dislike an alkaline soil is this correct?

lime in rotation over a few seasons can drive them away? im growing brassicas where i previously grew potatoes so will see how i go

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I have alkaline soil and wireworms. 

gaz2000

• Half Acre
now i know then  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal