Author Topic: Norfolk greenhouse glazing  (Read 2324 times)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Norfolk greenhouse glazing
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:45:06 »
I was offered a secondhand 3 year old 6x4 Norfolk Ultimate greenhouse, a paraffin heater, 3 gallons of paraffin & 2 solar vents 1 installed 1 still in it's box for £20 naturally I accepted, although in my mind I was paying for the accessories rather than the greenhouse which having seen the quality of the glazing I wouldn't reccommend to anyone.
Many profanities later it has been dismantled moved & reassembled, it's on a raised wooden base made out of 120 year old oak roof beams which I grabbed when someone I knew had their roof replaced giving me approximately an additional 2' of height & a bit of shading at the bottom. I have used the original plastic glazing so it can be utilised straight away but given how flimsy the glazing panels are (had to use silicon to stop them blowing out constantly) & the pros & cons of plastic vs glass I would prefer to glaze it with glass in the long run.
Has anyone ever replaced the glazing in a norfolk greenhouse with glass, is the frame up to it? I don't want to buy a load of glass just to find that as the frame is designed for lightweight plastic glazing it's not strong enough to support it.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Norfolk greenhouse glazing
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:05:44 »
I've seen a few of the 'norfolk greenhouses' range, and every one I've seen has been really flimsy, and liable to blow away with slightest wind. I don't reckon they could stand the weight of real glass. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Norfolk greenhouse glazing
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:53:00 »
The polycarbonate on the roof looks like it should stay in place but the acrylic semi rigid panels blow out if you do so much as breath in their general direction hence the silicon to keep them in place. It is bolted to a very heavy base, well 6" bolts on the corners and 4" screws every 6" between them so it shouldn't blow away but I had the same thought about the glass being too heavy.
The frame assembly seems overly complicated compared to most other greenhouses too. I had to dismantle it completely when I moved it due to restricted access whilst getting it out of their garden, reassambling it is not something I would want to do again.
If it doesn't last long at least I will have the vents & heater to use in whatever it gets replaced with.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal