Author Topic: herbs  (Read 2948 times)

stereolyf

herbs
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:12:04 »
Hi everyone! I'm new here and got excited by all the green talks. :-) LOL.

I was planning to grow herbs in preparation to my being a newbie chef. Does anyone have any suggestions on what herbs can be easily grown inside a house? Medium maintenance plants would be fine.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: herbs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:53:59 »
Welcome to A4A Stereolyf... I don't grow herbs indoors but I bet someone does and will be along soon to answer your query.. . :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:01:57 »
Hi and welcome to A4A stereolyf  :)

I grow a few herbs indoors - mainly basil - thai and standard italian types, corriander and parsley (flat leaf), in pots on the kitchen window cills. I do tend to move them outside in summer tho
Be interetsing to hear what other peeps do  :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:29:53 »
Mint? Chives?

If you'd like to start off some mint, I can send you some roots, btw.

Lishka

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 10:25:25 »
I'd recommend you look out for any books by Jekka McVicar on ebay or charity shops- she's the queen of herb growing!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 11:02:29 »
In my experience, few herbs are happy indoors for any length of time.  I have stared things off on the kitchen windowsill but like 1066, I move them outside as soon as possible.  But in the spirit of the post I'd suggest Greek Basil.  It grows in a rough ball shape and only reaches about 30cm high. 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 14:10:56 »
Ooo that sounds nice Georgie!
I'd big it up for Thai Basil, very distinct flavour and goes brilliantly with fish  :D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 14:23:34 »
I'd certainly agree with Georgie re: happy herbs indoors. Mine are always OK(ish) for a time but seem to get a lot of little whiteflies around :-\ So, if it's possible, have them indoors but leave them out for a bit of fresh air when you can. You say you live in a house - no possibility of putting the pots in the back yard for a spell? If not you'll just have to take them down the pub & sit outside with them there ;D

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 15:26:29 »
Vietnamese coriander (looks like knotweed) does well indoors and has the advantage of liking water.

Roots like crazy from the tiniest cutting and grows like a weed. Tastes like coriander with a hint of cress.

I always find it easier to grow stuff indoors if it likes either too much water (eg. papyrus) or too little (cacti)...

Cheers.

PS. Which? gardening said some people find it soapy - I can taste the 'soap' in any kind of coriander but the Vietnamese kind is nothing like the worst to my palate.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

moment

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 20:31:49 »
hi friends,
would anyone have a top tip on how i go about treating/repairing an old galvanised and very leaky greenhouse please? i`ve tried the rubbery waterproof stuff that comes out of a gun thingy -both  inside and out-that only worked temporarily.---any ideas anyone as i am sick of this rain-inside and out lol ::) ::) ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 22:53:08 »
yep I agree with Vinlander,,,Vienamese coriander....Yum, yum..but it is not to be cooked with as otherwise it tastes "funny". It is used by adding it to the food in last minute..very fragrant and strong flavoured,used by just one or two leaf at the time...
Very easy to grow  ;)
Chives indoor go quickly pale and floppy and it doesn't grow back quick enough...
Chilli...not a herb,,but happy on sunny windowsill, several garlic gloves or even whole one planted in pot and used as greens (strong flavoured stuff)
..just some ideas...

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 09:38:11 »
Vietnamese corriander, that's a new one to me - will have to check it out. I recently read a recipie by Rick Stein and he talks about Vietnamese Mint, which also sounds delicious!

hi friends,
would anyone have a top tip on how i go about treating/repairing an old galvanised and very leaky greenhouse please? i`ve tried the rubbery waterproof stuff that comes out of a gun thingy -both  inside and out-that only worked temporarily.---any ideas anyone as i am sick of this rain-inside and out lol ::) ::) ::)

Moment - sorry I have no idea, maybe someone will be along shortly .......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal