Author Topic: AGM - what should the secretary's report be about?  (Read 25633 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
AGM - what should the secretary's report be about?
« on: March 30, 2010, 17:59:03 »
It's our AGM on April 11th and as the secretary, I am expected to give a report.  What sort of things am I supposed to cover?  The chairman will give a detailed report about what has gone on over the past year, so I don't want to repeat things he is going to say.

I would be quite happy to say "nothing to say" but I might not get away with it.  ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: AGM - what should the secretary's report be about?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 19:27:50 »
Depends upon how formal your meeting are!

Generally there is the Chairman's report, the treasures report and any other business from the floor.

It is the secretaries job to open the meeting by introducing the the chairman and thanking him for his contribution, then the chairman resumes his duties and ask for the treasurers report.

If there is any written 'Any other business' it is the secretaries job to read these out to all those present.

The chairman should take any AOB's from the floor and try to get  answers to them.

Basically the secretaries job is to take minutes of the proceedings for the records and future business.

But as I say it depends upon how formal your meetings are.

At the end of the day it is the secretaries duty to make sure that all business is minuted in case of future problems arising from the AGM.

It is surprising how some people will twist what WAS said to their own end at a later date meaning;

accurate records are essential.

I hope that helps!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 20:51:47 »
I guess this varies from one association to another. In ours the chair introduces the Committee and starts off the meeting. I, as secretary, report on exciting stuff like how many plots have been reallocated, anyone who has left, how many letters I have sent to naughty people and, just occasionally, stuff like plans for the future. I'll pm you my last report (which was written, and my additional comments.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 20:53:55 »
gawrc if you dont mind,id love to see your last report too?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 21:21:36 »
Tee Gee - Thanks, but I don't think our meetings are very formal.  Last year, I took the minutes but didn't write anything about the things I said and now, a year later, I can't remember!  I find it quite difficult to keep a record of what I say, I wish we had a minutes secretary.

grawrc - thank you so much for the copy of your report - I didn't yawn even once!  I've saved it and it will be very useful.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 21:24:11 »
The secretary doesn't report to the AGM. He/she is a servant of the Committee and reports to them.

At the AGM the Chairman is in charge and gives a report on the previous year, in the same way as the Treasurer does with the finances. As Secretary, I don't have a slot. (Which doesn't mean to say I say nothing, or am not answerable....)

Our format is:
reports on the year past (chair & treasurer)
elections
priorities for next year
AOB

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 21:30:37 »
If you want to keep an accurate record, use an MP3 player which has a voice recording function. If anyone disputes your minutes your can refer to the recording. I was a club secretary for 8 years and still have the record files to back up the minutes. Always bear in mind that minutes are a minute account of the proceedings, don't go into great detail.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 21:34:14 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 21:42:36 »
The secretary doesn't report to the AGM. He/she is a servant of the Committee and reports to them.

I would be very happy not to have to give a report.  I don't know how it started, but the 'Secretary's Report' seems to be a bit of a tradition at our AGMs. 
I suppose I could put together some facts (based on things grawrc mentioned in her report) and give them to our Chairman in time for them to be included in his report.

Thanks for your input.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 11:53:55 »
I gave a Power-Point presentation at our last AGM, with images of the various improvement / upgrade works the association had achieved. (we got 14 sites, and it was useful for folk to see what went on at other sites),  PM me you email betty, I'll send you a copy  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 21:36:24 »
These things are usually a load of waffle. You promote what you have done personally and make it sound good.

Just report on any activity over the year. Improvements, repairs, general problems you have resolved.

Comment on the weather and then add what you hope for next year.

Compliment any one who has actually done something.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal