Author Topic: Joe's allotment  (Read 36056 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Joe's allotment
« on: March 27, 2010, 17:26:52 »
Went to the allotment today, like one does, only to find that Joe Swift's shed and raised wooden beds had gone.  Spoke to site Secretary and Joe has given up the allotment as they will not be filming there anymore (surprise, surprise).  It will be split into three new allotments.  He took some of the plants he wanted and has just left it, so with permission I nicked some strawberry plants and got a few parsnips which I am just cooking for dinner. Some of the plants Joe wouldn't take as the dreaded marestail was in the roots and he didn't want to introduce it to any garden (don't blame him for that).  I am not too bothered as my allotment is already full of marestail.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Joe's allotment
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 17:39:15 »
Why on earth don't they find presenters who actually care about what they're doing? That's why the old ones were often so much better. Nowadays they present this, they present that, and it's all superficial.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 18:30:56 »
it seems to be the norm to have presenters who either don't know their subject, or pretend they don't, sothey can go on a "journey" and take us witth them

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 19:22:28 »
The geezer is an arsole, he must have well jumped the queue to get it in the first place, when I went to visit Borlotti's site it was well overgrown, but I bet the council never went down the usual route of giving warning letters about weeds and non cultivation, it makes the blood boil, but as I've been out all afternoon drinking I will leave it there.    >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 19:39:30 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 19:35:42 »
No need to be rude just because he's not an expert veg grower. It's the fault of the people who planned the programmes.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 19:41:52 »
There is something "tacky" about it though as he involved his family and supposedly got all chummy with his lottie neighbours.
Still let's face it we all see new plot holders with their shiny spades and planting plans.......once  ;D
sanity is overated

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 19:43:26 »
I don't think Kev was being rude because the chap wasn't an expert at growing veg, it was the way he presented himself as being a keen allotment gardener, but actually did not even bother to harvest what he had sown, and just abandoned his plot.
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 19:46:35 »
He was probably expected to pretend. It's irritating I know, but someone's planning the programmes to be like that. They're the proper targets of our wrath.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 10:37:48 »
He will be too busy I suppose now that he is president of the NGS.

God help Britain in Bloom if the cities/towns/villages start building triangular beds to please him.

Its the old story easy come easy go, in this case from an educational point of view good riddance, he hadn't a clue!

I guessed at the outset it wouldn't last when I saw how he tackled his plot!

Do you remember the discussions we had here on A4A about it, Away back then I guess a few of us new the writing was on the wall for him!

If the BBC need a good 'allotmenteer' they could help themselves by getting someone from A4A to front the show.

I would settle for all that free timber that a certain DIY store gave him to make his beds, and all the compost they throw around again I guess FOC.

What we need in these austere times is a programme along the lines of 'dig for victory' where economics come into the issue!

Do you "Dig that folks"?

:(

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 10:43:17 »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:45:39 »
At least someone else can get the plot now- better than JS (or the BBC) keeping it and not having time for it.

Borlotti, do you know whether your site made any money out of him being there? That would make the whole thing worth it?

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 11:36:41 »
Well I'm not surprised, he could allways bring a book out called" how to abandon a allotment"  and as TG as said god help NGS the blokes a fake  >:(

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 11:52:03 »
What we need in these austere times is a programme along the lines of 'dig for victory' where economics come into the issue!

Do you "Dig that folks"?
Yes Tee Gee, very much so.  The thing that turned me off GW more than anything else was the obscene cost.  Geoff Hamilton always used to consider the econommics, having lived in the real world.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 17:46:43 »
I've been watching the victorian garden and kitchen again, that's more my style  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 17:57:27 »
I watch it every year.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 21:28:14 »
why would Joe take is old shed and raised beds with him?...well it would not supprise me if they would put these up on some weedless plot of land and carry on filming pretending it is same allotment....
...how well has he managed to clear the weeds... ::) looking forward to see what happens next..

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 22:29:57 »
Do you think they'll reappear in Greenacre, or GW Live, as a recycling project ?

God help NGS,  the blokes a ... designer !  ;)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 13:28:21 »
When I said the shed had gone I meant it had been dismantled and left as a pile of wood to be taken by anyone that wanted it, or else will go on a bonfire.  His lovely triangular beds he took.  Oh well just off to pick up the rest of his/my turnips.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 14:29:02 »
At least some other people can have his plot.  I suppose that the program may have given some people an interest in having an allotment. 

It will be interesting to see where the triangular raised beds turn up. 

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 14:40:05 »
when I went to visit Borlotti's site it was well overgrown,

Now now you shouldn't talk about Borlotti's plot like that  ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal