Author Topic: Oh no  (Read 1749 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
Oh no
« on: March 28, 2010, 20:29:19 »
I am so sad went to plot yesterday, planning to uncover and get ready for next weekend dour days of bliss at the plot. 10 mins in and I tripped and down I went four hours later arrived back from hospital wrist in plaster broken in three places. On for 6-8 weeks my poor veg all trundeling along in greenhouse totally unaware!!!!!!!

kippers garden

• Hectare
Re: Oh no
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 20:42:48 »
You poor thing...i know how you feel though as i broke my left wrist last August-i fell over a speed bump outside our local hospital as i was running to casualty as my dad had just come in an ambulance....incidently my dad was fine and back home within a few hours...i had a thick lip, cuts over my chest where i'd slid along the road, a swollen nose and i was back in the hospital later in the evening as i'd also broken my wrist!

It's very frustrating with one hand

This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 20:45:57 »
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 20:49:44 »
Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Not good at anytime but at this time of the year soul destroying.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 21:02:59 »
How frustating, just when the veggie need so much attention 

But what can you manage with one hand?  I once had to teach myself to write left handed.   I know someone with only one arm and it is amazing what she manages to do. 

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 21:39:25 »
That is SO sad! Our seedlings are our children!

I am very aware, at 66, that a careless step can result in a life changing accident within a second. I tripped over my strimmer last year and was in pain for AGES with a strained arm. And hauled a heavy roll of fencing around later that year and damaged my back for 3 weeks. I am now VERY cautious as I stagger around my 3 plots.

There was a thread here maybe a year or two ago about the dangers on allotments which would put a nervous person off for life, ranging from blinding yourself on a cane to cutting your feet off with a circular saw, stepping on a sharp nail and getting tetanus, and everything else you can possibly think of.

My experienced farming brother-in-law tried to clear a mowing machine and lost several fingers.

My great aunt broke her right arm and wrote us many illegible letters with her left hand.

If you only ever have had one arm, you have a life time to train yourself (my husband has one eye and was games captain at his school, which seems to matter to men), but if we lose a limb or sense later in life it is very hard.

A friend fell down her stairs very heavily 2 weeks ago, broke nothing, but admitted she felt very shaken and depressed and wondered if she was going to be one of many people of our age who suffered a shock and never quite recovered.

I don't want to be  pessimistic - but we should all be careful while moving around our muddy, slippery allotments, full of tripping opportunities and difficult machinery (I am frightened of my own strimmer).

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 21:59:06 »
Was it you left or right.

I could manage without my left, but not my right - How would I hold my drink ?

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 22:26:11 »
On a good note pesky wabbit a wine glass balances in any hand!!! It's
my right that's broken.I presume by next weekend I will have mastered a dibber

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 22:32:39 »
On a good note pesky wabbit a wine glass balances in any hand!!! It's
my right that's broken.I presume by next weekend I will have mastered a dibber

NOW you see the main use children have.......................
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 23:28:09 »
Im sure you will find a way to manage one handed. Last year i had to have an op on both hands one done in may the other september. It was frustrating the first 2 weeks then i just told myself other people manage and mines only temporary. Its amazing what you can do one handed (couldnt spread my toast though!) Hope it gets better soon :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal