Author Topic: Apple trees and pollinators  (Read 2758 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Apple trees and pollinators
« on: March 25, 2010, 22:24:36 »
I recently bought a Jonagold and a Cox's Orange Pippin from Lidl. Unfortunately, at the time of purchase I did not know that Jonagold is a triploid (needs two pollinators but doesn't pollinate other apple trees) and have no idea if there are any other apple trees in the vicinity so am wondering what the chances are of it ever producing fruit. Am I right in thinking that the cox's is self-fertile? I've done a bit of Googling and find that both these varieties are Group 3. I don't really have room for another tree! Help!

Tricia

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Apple trees and pollinators
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 00:00:01 »
Actually triploids do not need two pollinators - they are called triploids because they have 3 sets of chromosomes.

This over-endowment gives them extra vigour but means their pollen is basically useless.

So you do need two other trees because they need each other and the triploid is no use to them sexually!

Or you could pair it with a self-fertile type - though even these work better with a real partner.

All assuming the flower periods overlap of course...
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 00:04:32 »
I can't find anything about Cox's being self-fertile. It's temperamental in our climate, unless you're in the south. Jonagold is a triploid, but Cox's should pollinate it. You still need a pollinator for the Cox's, but there's a good chance there will be a tree within range. If you want to plant a third tree, James Grieve or Worcester Pearmain are easily available, and good apples.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 07:32:47 »
I also bought a Jonagold and a cox from lidl.  I did not think about the pollination situation at all.  There are quite a few crab apple trees in gardens around and so far have not had problems with fertilization with other apple trees.   

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 17:18:49 »
Queen cox isn't Cox's Orange Pippin though! I believe it's been bred from it, but I don't know what it was crossed with.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 22:31:15 »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Robert - I had already made a note of James Grieve and Worcester Pearmain as possible pollinators funnily enough! But I think I'll wait a couple of years and see what happens. Maybe I'll get lucky with local pollinators like Digeroo I don't really have room for yet another tree! The new trees will need that long before they are likely to fruit anyway.

Tricia

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal