Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle  (Read 64526 times)

lottiedolly

• Acre
Re: Seed Sharing Circle
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2010, 13:26:24 »

So intresting reading how everyones crops have fared and the different experiences and tips. Really useful one for me re; colander and raddish seeds , thanks Galina. My top tip, best not to winow seeds in gusty wind without an old sheet to catch mistakes!

Well the original idea was for each person to save seeds from two varieties and then share these with each member of the group. From the super updates it looks like many have grown 2+. If people would like to share more than two that is great, though there is no obligation or expectation. With some extra varieties there may not be enough for everyone so perhaps we can have a swapping/spares list. I know I've got quite a few different varieties of tomatoes, peas and beans saved.

I think it might be best to do one list rather than several post which may detract from the original idea, so if you have anything you want to spare/swap, pm me your list, say if they are spare or for swapping and roughly how many portions. I’ll put together a list together and then folks can pm each other if they fancy anything. Ps if anyone else would like to organise this list......pleeeeease say

I hope there is something of interest for everyone, so far what I have set aside for the group;
Shimonita bunching onions are all harvested and ready to go, I love them, they look a little more like a leek than spring onion, really thick and lovely onion taste.
Queensland Blue Squash, in the Greenhouse maturing! Not tasted yet but looks handsome!

I also have enough of the following for everyone which I’m happy to share
Winterkefe mangetout peas, tall growing tasty and fairly early.
Di Chioggia beetroot, particularly good grated raw (these were not netted and to the best of my knowledge no crops nearby, no close neighbours)
Parcel – leaf celery, I really like this herb, lovely in soups and omelettes.
Mexican Honey tomatoes, red cherries really sweet and scrummy, don’t know much about them other than Mexican in origin according to Tatiana’s tomato site.

If there is anything anyone does not want either pm me or include a note when you send your seeds in.

I agree with the sugestions that it will be better for the seeds to be 'processed' centrally. I think if everyone sends their seeds to me as soon as they are ready, I’ll sort them into individual parcels. I would hope to have it all done and posted out in November but to be more realistic aim for the 1st week in December.

So what to do ; when your 2 (or more) varieties of seeds are good and dry, divide each variety into 15.  Label them in individual zippy bags, remember to keep one for yourself. Send your seeds to me along with a medium sized addressed padded envelope, or very strong envelope. Postage cost wise, we have some beans and peas, it may be packet size rather than a large letter, but until the parcels are put together ? Perhaps if everyone puts in a selection of stamps to cover postage and any unused will be returned. If anyone has other ideas how to simplify it let us know.

Ruud I know you can’t do stamps so just send yours to me, I’ll post it back with your selection. I may even have a couple of tomatoes to interest you!

I think it is possible we may have lost a member or two along the way; I’ll try and contact the people who haven’t given an update so we have a better idea. It may be someone else is able to step in to take their place if we have a space free?!
If you haven't posted for a while now is the time ;D

Oh i am going to be so blonde, what do you mean by individual zippy bags?  :-[

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2010, 13:29:58 »
Yayyyy, they sound lovely Lottie.

I'm sorely tempted by your lime seeds not sure I would have room for another citrus :'(
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2010, 13:39:33 »
Not at all Lottie, I should have explained better. Zippy bags are the polythene ones that have the magic little seal which can be reused, they are fairly cheep to buy the small ones. But they are not always the best things to use with seeds as pointed out by Galina, they do not allow seeds to breath. So any envelope, homemade is fine, which safely holds individual portions will be great.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2010, 17:42:42 »
If anyone is looking for inspiration to make their own seed packets have a look at this lovely blog http://hayefield.com/2008/08/07/origami-for-seed-savers/
and another variation here, thank you ICPS Seed Bank for this guide http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/Envelope.htm

There are lots of sites offering templates which can be printed and cut out. These envelopes will need a bit of glue though
http://theseedsite.co.uk/envelope.html
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/flowox43055/template/seedtemplate.html

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2010, 18:47:00 »
I'm still interested, but I haven't been well all summer, and as a result haven't got anything like what I'd hoped. How many seeds do you want to a packet?

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2010, 07:55:17 »
I'm still interested, but I haven't been well all summer, and as a result haven't got anything like what I'd hoped. How many seeds do you want to a packet?

Robert, I am sure that just a few seeds per person, so we can sow and then save seed for next year will be suitable.

I had a bad year on one crop on another seed circle i am a member of and i know that even if just 5 beans are sent per person, they should get at least 3-4 to germinate and from that you can then save seed for a proper crop.

I am sure everyone will agree, do not worry, even if it is just a couple of seeds, that will be perfect (and remember you normally only get a couple of seeds if it is a tom, or a pepper or a squash.

I look forward to seeing what you can put up and i do hope that you are feeling much better now.

Kxx

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2010, 09:13:56 »
Hi Robert, I'm sorry to hear you have been having a difficult summer and very much hope you are feeling much better  :)

I think the minimum is enough seed for folk to grow the crop out, numbers depending on whether they are inbreeders or outbreeders, to be able to save seed themselves. How many seeds will depend on the crop.

Don't worry if you don't have enough, things happen and I'm sure we will work something out.

I read this earlier which seemed apt, Quote from Saddad in seed swap '' Naturally... part of the work of the HSL is to get the heritage varieties out there and growing...  ''

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2010, 10:33:11 »
Sorry to hear you were unwell and hope you feel stronger now.  

Don't worry, you are not the only one with difficulties.  I wanted to handpollinate Todo el Año squash.  It did great and fruited well, but I never had a matched male and a female flower in place when I needed them - on three plants.  They all set when I was away and afterwards no match, guess they were pollinated by other maxima squash.  I nearly proposed to save seed for the circle because it is a good variety and hasn't been in the RealSeeds catalogue for years.  Maybe it will work out next year.  And then my failure with the collards where the flowers just shrivelled and died.  It happens even without illness.    

We like to grow whatever you have and small portions are no issue.  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:41:17 by galina »

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2010, 20:20:31 »
Descriptions are good - I'll do some if I didn't already.

Another question- I have one bean I was offering, Gauk a bush one from HSL, which I find disappointing.  I chose it as it was in the coloured bean category, but it only colours up at the final drying stage.  It's a nice tasting slicing green bean, but is hellish stringy quickly and all over not just the edges.    Its main benefit seems to be that it can tolerate some cold so it might be good for people in other areas.

Should I include it and let people make up their own minds about it?  After all, their growing conditions might have different results and they might have a different opinion in the end.  Or shall I leave it out, considering I personally wouldn't bother with it again or recommend it.

If I didn't put them in the circle I could offer them up in the swaps forum for people with a particular need for cold tolerant beans  :)

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2010, 20:25:44 »
YEAH YEAH YEAH - I want that one!!!

All my beans are left until dry so that one would suit me down to the ground. Don't you dare leave it out!!!

That one is originally from Sweden so no wonder it is a little more hardy.....

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2010, 10:20:20 »
Fair enough, I'll include them  :)

Just thought it might make more sense distributing them to people who have the appropriate environment for them.  

I know they're from Sweden. I'm quoting cold resistance from the HSL cataglogue.  I've no personal experience of their abilities to withstand that, my problem was quite the opposite, drought and heat-wave as has normally been the case early summer for me.

I'm intrigued though AJ, why do you want these so badly?  They're not very productive, not a great young bean and not even a great shelling bean - borlotti are fatter, tastier and earlier?  Do you just have a collecting fetish?  ;)

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2010, 10:30:02 »
When we send in the seeds, can we send in little descriptions with them so we know what it is, any special growing instructions, the good and bad points etc, basically anything that we think we should like to know about the plant.

What do you think, will that be too much of a pain for people to do?

Kx

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2010, 11:37:55 »

Just thought it might make more sense distributing them to people who have the appropriate environment for them.  

I know they're from Sweden. I'm quoting cold resistance from the HSL cataglogue.  I've no personal experience of their abilities to withstand that, my problem was quite the opposite, drought and heat-wave as has normally been the case early summer for me.

I'm intrigued though AJ, why do you want these so badly?  They're not very productive, not a great young bean and not even a great shelling bean - borlotti are fatter, tastier and earlier?  Do you just have a collecting fetish?  ;)

I'm working with a few others to increase the beans available in the UK and am definitely looking for hardier beans!!!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2010, 13:02:28 »
When we send in the seeds, can we send in little descriptions with them so we know what it is, any special growing instructions, the good and bad points etc, basically anything that we think we should like to know about the plant.

Kx

Rather than sending the same information 15 times or writing a lot of text on the seed packets, I thought JayB had suggested to put such information on here.  Hopefully this thread will still be on this site long after the seed packets have disintegrated.  Having the information here also allows for additional questions and replies will be seen by all.   

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2010, 13:17:17 »

Kx

Rather than sending the same information 15 times or writing a lot of text on the seed packets, I thought JayB had suggested to put such information on here.  Hopefully this thread will still be on this site long after the seed packets have disintegrated.  Having the information here also allows for additional questions and replies will be seen by all.   

Oh I totally agree, it is just that you have to troll through all the pages and if anyone could write out what they were supplying and photocopy it a few times (if they have access to a copier, i thought it would help, plus I personally would keep the information on file in my gardening folder for future reference.

Kx

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2010, 13:20:18 »

Different varieties do differently on different soil and in different climate.  My seed friend from Colorado has sent seed for several different bean varieties over the years.  All did very well for her.  Here they can be anything from an exceptional variety, to a variety that needs a year to acclimatise before it becomes a good variety and she has sent two varieties that will never be really happy here outside a greenhouse,  because we don't get the heat they like.  She has exactly the same results from the beans I have sent her.  We have learned from that process that every vegetable (not just beans) needs to be grown at least twice to see how adaptable it is to different conditions in a new place, the second time preferably from seeds grown in the new location.    And that there is not much rhyme or reason why a very early bean at her place is too late for here and vice versa.  Please include the bean, it is bound to be rubbish here or alternatively do spectacularly well :)

Second thought - I swapped bean and pea seeds with a gardening friend from Scotland, near Glasgow.  Peas, no problem, but the beans were really struggling at her place - all beans.  I wonder how yours would do for her and others in marginal bean growing areas?  Quite a large part of the UK could do with hardier beans.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 13:28:25 by galina »

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2010, 12:15:30 »
I've pm'ed a few who have not updated for a while and hope to hear from them soon, it would be fantastic to finish with the original cast. Although no pressure on anyone who is not remaining involved.

Could I be on the waiting list, pretty please? Not trying to oust anybody. Hope that's ok.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2010, 15:45:05 »
I love your descriptions Galina, I hope it is ok as I've copied them to use in starting a list of all the varieties we will all be receiving. I thought it might be useful to have the varieties all in one place and thought I could copy it back here when everything is confirmed.

I particularly enjoyed reading your colourful descriptions and how you have found the different varieties. I think it would be most useful to the group if others are able to do a description too. Googling is fine, but  there is not always much about some of these varieties. Or perhaps any tips on the ease growing them for seed or the actual process of saving seeds of the varieties you have grown this year.

ps no worries if you aren't able to, I'll do my best to pick out key points if it is something I've not grown before.

Once all the varieties are in and confirmed, if everyone has posted a description of the varieties they have grown I'll copy them. If someone is not able to supply a description I'll do my best to write one. If I'm stuck, I'm sure some one will be able to help. I'll then post the descriptions back here and if anyone wants to print it off, they can  :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2010, 16:14:12 »
Hi and welcome to the site martinburo  :) it's a fab site with loads of info and helpful folk, you maybe interested in introducing yourself, have a look here  :)

Thanks for the interest in our seed saving circle, which is almost at the end now  :'( So probably not the best time to join as you will have missed out on much of the fun. But I'll be starting another seed circle off in the new year,  so keep a watch for a new thread for those who are intrested in re-joining/joining Yayyyyyyy can't wait  ;D

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2010, 17:35:27 »
you maybe interested in introducing yourself, have a look here
Do you mean on this thread? I couldn't find an introduce yourself area.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal