Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle  (Read 64521 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
Re: Seed Sharing Circle
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2010, 08:01:51 »
Earlypea
Beans
Maybe Spring collard

Specifically, my HSL beans will be:

Coloured Dwarf French
Ice/Crystal Wax
Gauk

Climbing French
Kew Blue
Major Cook's

For the other items I mentioned, seed saving wouldn't be possible until the following year:

John's Purple Carrot (if it's worth growing, because some of these coloured ones are very finnicky) and
Delaway an Irish, cut and come again, spring collard.

I would also like to add an unusual squash if anyone's interested;
Kamo Kamo - a winter squash cropped in the summer in the immature stage, just like Crooknecks.  A Maori, NZ favourite.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 08:05:09 by earlypea »

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2010, 11:30:51 »
Some good news...these are germinating :)
Miniature White Cucumber 
White Volunteer Courgette
Yayyyyy it is all go  ;D I better get on and sow some pumpkins!

Super list Earlypea. I looked at Delaway earlier in the year, so will be great to have a review  :)
And Kamo Kamo sound very interesting.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2010, 11:40:28 »
Just googled Kamo Kamo squash.  Looks very interesting indeed:
http://www.localharvest.org/kamo-kamo-squash-maori-heirloom-C13741

Ice/Crystal Wax is the only white bean I know (very, very pale green), with a purple tinge when the pods are mature.  Very unusual.

Lovely selection!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2010, 12:52:25 »
I should have Major Cook's in the autumn, but I'll probably be looking for Kew Blue. I've also planted Cosse Violette and Brejo, and I'll definitely be doing Trail of Tears. After that, it depends on space, particularly with dwarf beans. I'm not that keen on them, but they're good space fillers to follow the peas.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2010, 10:23:28 »
I've been busy sowing beans over the weekend Dwarf and Climbing French some Runner beans too. Some of the varieties are from Galina, thank you  ;D they look like real beauties. I've hopefully added a couple of pictures
[attachment=2][attachment=3]
Boston Beauty and Georgian 117 which is similarly marked to Jambo Polish which I'm growing for HSL seed guardian this year, though the Jambo beans are about twice the size with some stripes in dark purple as well as black

I've planted out earlier pea sowings which were a bit overdue and started off the last few varieties I'm growing this year, thanks to Robert and Markfield R. My earliest sowings are just starting to flower (grown in polytunnel)

[attachment=1]
The Shimonita bunching onions are just starting flowering and I'm hoping to start the Pumpkin seeds later today.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2010, 14:36:12 »
great pics Jayb - and great to hear of your progress  :)

Today I cut the Kale flower seeds / stalks off and will start to dry them off properly - was thinking of putting them on a sheet of lining paper on the coffee table (gets the sun) to dry out  :)  :o  ::)  :P  ;D

edited to add - and then I'm going to try the RealSeed way of drying them out thoroughlly - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,59605.0.html

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 14:43:42 by 1066 »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2010, 07:35:30 »
Jayb

these are very good pictures.  Colours are just right on the beans seeds. 

It will be interesting to compare Jembo Polish to Georgian # 7 as they grow and produce.  I have heard much about Jembo on mainly US based lists, there seems to be quite a fan club.  Georgian # 7 is a dual use bean,  Jembo Polish is usually described as shelling bean.  I have noticed that often what we describe as a dual use bean, seems to develop hard pods earlier in warmer climates and gets used as shelling beans only.  Runner beans are an example.  We love the pods and perhaps harvest the seeds at the end of the season but elsewhere they get used as shelled out 'butterbeans' only.  Interesting whether that applies to Jembo Polish too.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2010, 07:45:48 »
I am growing red orach, does anyone know if it will seed in its 1st year or 2nd?

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2010, 08:23:55 »
I am growing red orach, does anyone know if it will seed in its 1st year or 2nd?

In the first, very quickly in fact - they run to seed just like spinach in 2 or 3 months or less without water.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2010, 08:32:36 »
Good then add that one for me i shall save a plant for seed saving (I am sure they produce loads of seeds per plant, if not how many plants should i let go to seed).  :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2010, 08:50:29 »
Beat me to it Earlypea  ;D

Your kale is way ahead of mine 1066, I'm still only with flowers which the bees are loving. Yes an intresting post by Robert.

Galina, I'm really looking forward to trying them both (and a few more besides  ;D) although I will only be able to sample a few Jambo. I have my patch marked out for them and seeds are sown, just fingers crossed now. Depending on germination I've got about 6 seeds left, if you fancy doing your own comparison?

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2010, 09:00:59 »
Can I ask how you're both protecting your kale from cross pollination - only that's quite tricky on an allotment and I'll be dithering about the best/easiest way next spring for my collards hopefully.

Maybe you don't need to, but here for example, a lot of people leave their last few broccoli stalks to flower for the bees to enjoy  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:03:06 by earlypea »

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2010, 07:32:10 »
Can I ask how you're both protecting your kale from cross pollination - only that's quite tricky on an allotment and I'll be dithering about the best/easiest way next spring for my collards hopefully.

Maybe you don't need to, but here for example, a lot of people leave their last few broccoli stalks to flower for the bees to enjoy  :)

I'm just growing these in the open, but I don't have any close neighbours. To my mind if it does cross I should still get a useable crop. Whereas if I were trying to save cauliflower or calabrese and they crossed it would not produce a plant of much use. I may well be wrong  ;D

I had set aside some cauli, which I was going cage and use blow flies, but I changed my mind at the last min (already have more seed than I can realistically use) and have been cropping them instead  ;D Yum

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2010, 08:21:16 »
EarlyPea - Pretty much as Jayb really.
Next year (this winter) I'm going to grow a couple in the garden, think they will look good as well!

Forgot to mention most peoples PSB and other calabresse have only started to come into production, so I've hopefully avoided it on that front as well  :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2010, 13:34:59 »

Depending on germination I've got about 6 seeds left, if you fancy doing your own comparison?

Thanks Jayb, very kind offer.  As these are your guardian seeds, I hope you don't mind that I'll say no to your kind offer.  A lot can happen and you might be glad for the spares.  When you have harvested lots of seed, I'll come knocking on your door if I may ;).

Thank you.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2010, 13:50:28 »
Our seed circle winter radish has lots of flowers and some pods have set - looking good even if the radishes have developed into 8ft monster plants :-)

Lettuce looking good too but not flowering yet.

How is everybody else going?

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2010, 15:40:16 »
So far so good ,I think there are two of us growing Kew Blue so I have also popped in some DFB 'Mr Brookes Blue-Green ,not a clue what they are like ,but that's me living on the edge!!
The Blaby Special toms are on the allotment and in the greenhouse and in the garden so fingers crossed.

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2010, 16:22:50 »
Too late for me to join in?  I've just places a modest order with realseeds.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2010, 17:05:10 »
Sounding good guys

Lol, Galina having tried to walk past some I’ve got flowering, monsters is about right, but very pretty ones!

Markfield R, I’ve not grown Mr Brookes Blue so will be interested to hear what you think of them.

I’ve planted out both Jarrahdale and Queensland blue, so far they look to be enjoying the move.

Shimonita onions are now mostly drying in paper bags. My Roscoff’s have some beautiful flower spikes although not quite open yet. I’ve noticed some grey mould on one of my beds of Autumn onions so fingers crossed it doesn’t travel to them. 

Detailista, I think a little late to fully join in the swap this season as people growing for this group and may not have enough to go around more people. But I’d be happy to swap some seeds with you later on. You are very welcome to join in this thread and post what you are growing and your progress, it is always great to hear how crops are doing.

I’m hoping this will continue on through to next year with information being shared as well as seeds. It would be nice to see other people joining in too.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2010, 21:10:16 »
 Hi, I have never got involved with this because of the distance but.... I am growing some squash varieties this year which are pretty rare and although I don't do it often  anymore I am growing them with a view to  bagging and propagating  for pure seed, if all goes well I would like these squash seeds to spread a bit.

I posted some to the UK earlier this year after I offered one or two to the forum, I only had a couple of spare so couldn't share them much. The person who I sent them too no longer posts so I have no idea of she ever planted them, so unlikey I would get seeds back from that source which was the arrangment.

They are, Grammas, Japs, and Mayoral Blue.. all three came from Australia, the Mayoral Blue is of particular interest as it was grown in  quite a specific area of NSW by the mayor for 40 years. I have had Japs in the past from Australia and did share a few with someone who was an expat from Australia  but never heard back.

I gave a few to Tatiana too but she may not grow them this year.

Maybe your circle could use them if I manage to save  them to my satisfaction.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 21:12:07 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal