Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle  (Read 64356 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Seed Sharing Circle
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 10:00:15 »
Welcome to Earlypea too  ;D

I'll do a quick count, but probably only space for another one or two  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 11:21:46 »
Thanks everyone for the interest shown, the group is currently at 13.
Earlypea we are growing to harvest seed this year to share ready for next season.

I think to stay on track and so we don't duplicate, it would be a good idea to decide on which vegetable varieties are being grown. I agree with Robert’s suggestion to grow as diverse a seed collection as possible. Real seeds has some good basic information on their site as to isolation and there is a host of information on the net.

Also if we stick to 2 varieties to share with every member.
I’m sure many of us will be growing more than two and perhaps we can list these for swaps later on with other circle members.

If everyone is in agreement seeds will be shared out once the last seeds are confirmed harvested and members need to have been active and participating A4A members during this period. Sorry to be rule setting just think it is better up front rather than ill will along the way. If anyone has any other suggestions please post.

If it helps I’m happy to send a SAE to Ruud for his seeds and then send them out with mine, might save a bit on postage.

If anyone is stuck for something to grow I can possibly help out with seeds

Outline so far;
Jayb
Choosing from Cucumber
Onion 
Brassica, I’ll see what Plot 51a and 1066 want to do first
I think I’ll also grow something in case of disaster!

Plot51A
Choosing from Pea
Brassica
Lettuce

Robert_Brenchley
Peas

Angel Shades
Choosing from beans
Peas
Toms
Chili/peppers

Lottiedolly
Polish Beans
 unnamed bean variety

Markfield Rover
Tomatoes

Kale-?

SueK
Choosing from Tomatoes
Peas
Beans

Ruud
Choosing from beans
Tomatoes
Peppers

Keepondiggin
Courgette x2?                     

Greensausage
Tomato
Beans

Galina
Lettuce
Black winter radish

Earlypea
Beans
 maybe Spring collard

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 13:25:02 »
You can add cucumbers and beans for me. I'll probably experiment with other things as well, and may have toms depending on the blight. I may have more than two varieties for the circle; if I've only got limited quantities of a rare variety it makes sense to offer it to people who are likely to save seed.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 17:49:27 »
You can add beans especially broad beans,crimson flowering ones.Some other beans,dwarf and pole.Tomatoes ofcourse and i did some experiment with lettuce and that worked out great.I have an other issue what amount of seeds do you need from one spieces to make it worthwhile.I mean if you put in 20 beans and at the end you harvest a hundred beans is this than enough for the circle or do you need more?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 18:03:04 »
That depends on how many people are in the circle, and how many of them want seed. If you can't produce enough for everyone, I think that's fair enough, you can only do what you can.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 20:46:23 »
That are clever words robert;you can only do your best.I am also involved in a circle with some american friends.I am growing osu blue fruit for them,it is the only blue tomato almost like a blueberry,very exciting experiment.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 20:48:07 »
I think keep it realistic, it’s about sharing diversity within the group. That is why I suggested saving just 2 varieties to share with everyone, so it is not too much of a nightmare and is fairly fair. So enough seed for participants to grow, giving a few to try and a few to save for the following season or pass on.  

As a suggestion something like beans 10+, lettuce or small seeds a good pinch etc. If you want to send more that’s fine.  But who knows it may be a poor season , in which case just share what you have.

I'm planning on saving seed from several varieties, which I’ll be happy to share/swap, but won’t necessarily have enough for everyone. Hope this sounds ok.

There are 13 in the group at the moment, which is great but perhaps room for two more if anyone is interested. I'm happy to close it now, if you all think this is enough?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 00:03:39 »
Jayb and all  seed sharers

maybe we could all send our seeds to you when the time comes, not just Ruud.  In individual little packets ready to share and with a Jiffybag SASE.  If you were prepared to take on stuffing the envelopes, it would be the least costly option for everybody.

Yes I had already planned on saving seeds of the winter radish, because I found it very useful.  It thrived under fleece over winter and we dig up a couple of roots when needed.  They can be cooked similar to a turnip or sliced finely or grated raw in salads. 

Fingers crossed it works out for everybody, but problems can happen and everybody will understand.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 09:40:49 »
Looking good.I will be growing toms Blaby Special and at least 15 other heritage  inc Chocolate Cherokee so perhaps the tomato growers could compare lists at the end of the season (surely blight free this year) so we do not duplicate and may be help out if the B word has struck.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 07:26:39 »
maybe we could all send our seeds to you when the time comes, not just Ruud.  In individual little packets ready to share and with a Jiffybag SASE.  If you were prepared to take on stuffing the envelopes, it would be the least costly option for everybody.

I'd be happy to do that,  but I'm not sure it would be cheaper and if a parcel did go missing it would be someones entire lot?

The raddish sound great Galina, I've grew Hilds blauer Herbst und Winter and Long White Icicle, pleased with both. It is a shame I under use them in the kitchen though.

Looking good.I will be growing toms Blaby Special and at least 15 other heritage  inc Chocolate Cherokee so perhaps the tomato growers could compare lists at the end of the season (surely blight free this year) so we do not duplicate and may be help out if the B word has struck.

I've been wanting to try Blaby tomatoes for ages 
 ;D I Look forward to swapping some varieties later in the year. I'm hoping I've got a couple of real keepers growing this year....taste will tell
All my outdoors toms were wiped out last year with blight, fairly early on, so I've taken a bit more space in the polytunnel this year to grow them, fingers crossed.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 08:13:37 »
That are clever words robert;you can only do your best.I am also involved in a circle with some american friends.I am growing osu blue fruit for them,it is the only blue tomato almost like a blueberry,very exciting experiment.

I am also growing OSU blue and i have 3 germinated. i have arranged for the seeds to be shared on another foum i belong to as they also do seed circles. let me know how you get on, i do know that the density of colour is down to the amount of sunlight it receives so lets hope we have a warm sunny summer

kx

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 09:40:54 »
Can I join...fine if I am too late. I want to save Courgettes,
squash blue banana and am trying the bigger Caigua Achocha
Jackie

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 09:49:45 »
Thanks for organising this  ;D  ;D  ;D

I'm going to have a good old think about what I can save, so I'll get back to you - as I said it looks like some Kale, but I'll sit down in the next couple of days with my seed box and the Real Seed instructions and then get back to you. I'll try and aim for some diversity as well....  :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2010, 10:37:12 »
Welcome Hector  ;D. Not too late at all.

Just a thought, Keepondigin said she was going to grow a couple of types of courgette, but she has not been back yet to say what. It may be worthwhile getting in touch with her so you don't duplicate. Or keep the courgette for swapping and grow something else for the group. I'd be happy to help out with seed to get you started if I have something to interest you  :)

Was the OSU seed from Ruud lottiedolly? They are a stunning looking fruit. I think there will be a few seeds available later in the year and it will be intresting to see what develops with the crosses.

1066 I still haven't decided mine quite yet, but may change from cucumber as Robert is also doing them although varieties are very different. I was thinking of doing either Suyo long or Uzbekski which is similar/ish to Sikkim and I think quite tasty.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2010, 10:56:57 »
Very kind of you Jayb...I'll pm Keepondigin. Pming you about shade plants later too :)
Jackie

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2010, 11:41:28 »
Welcome Hector  ;D. Not too late at all.

Just a thought, Keepondigin said she was going to grow a couple of types of courgette, but she has not been back yet to say what. It may be worthwhile getting in touch with her so you don't duplicate. Or keep the courgette for swapping and grow something else for the group. I'd be happy to help out with seed to get you started if I have something to interest you  :)

Was the OSU seed from Ruud lottiedolly? They are a stunning looking fruit. I think there will be a few seeds available later in the year and it will be intresting to see what develops with the crosses.

1066 I still haven't decided mine quite yet, but may change from cucumber as Robert is also doing them although varieties are very different. I was thinking of doing either Suyo long or Uzbekski which is similar/ish to Sikkim and I think quite tasty.
Probably from Ruud as they were in a tomato swap, i am quite excited to grow them.  cannot wait for next years swaps, will hopefully have a wider range of swaps available.

Are you growing sikkim this year, i have only one germinate so far,which normally should be enough but i am trying to get one going for a friend, do they take long
to germinate normally?

regards

K

p.s. thanks for all the toms that you have put into the tomato swaps Ruud, i seem to have had a few of the ones that you have domnated

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2010, 17:29:05 »
Would folks be interested in Florence Fennel - Mantovano if I saved some seed? And I've been wondering about sweet peppers, but that really will depend on how good a summer we have !!

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2010, 17:38:55 »
Just been reading the RealSeeds seeds saving circle info - the bit I like the best is in the what you need section -  "tea and some nice biscuits "   ;D  ;D  ;D

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2010, 21:57:38 »
Hi Just to confirm my 2 offerings- the Verde di Milano Courgette and Pattison Orange Patty Pan summer squash.
Have pmd Hector as well so we don't duplicate.
Ordered my seeds from Realseeds tonight...

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2010, 22:16:29 »
Is there still space for a little one?

I've got a circle going on another forum but will be able to save for this circle as well.

Can do beans, cukes, achocha, parsnips, carrots and/or various toms depending on the season's success. Got the carrots and snoops from last season replanted and they should throw up a flower soon. Also got plenty of squash to add to the mix as well.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal