Author Topic: Turf for pathways  (Read 1635 times)

MOGDENT

• Not So New ...
Turf for pathways
« on: March 25, 2010, 09:12:56 »
Has anyone got a good sugestion for a turf for patways on our plot.

We would idealy like something meadow like for larger expanses and would prefer organic but rthis is not too important. There are areas in shade and the plot is very damp in winter.

We wanted turf so that we can put it down and continue with the work.

Many thanks

Toby

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Turf for pathways
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 20:37:18 »
Hi MOGDENT

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgable about turf, but noticed no one else had answered yet.

I would have thought you'd be limited by the turf suppliers in your area. Have you tried phoning round to see what they offer and what they recommend?

Turf's v expensive though. Unless you're planning to grow your own - is that what you meant?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 20:40:14 »
I just strimmed the weeds where I wanted paths and, over the years, they look more and more like grass rather than weeds. Depends how perfect you wan it to be mind you and, of course, maybe your plot isn't overgrown.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 05:33:18 »
If it is shady and/or damp, I would avoid grass.

Gravel or woodchip is better especially when contained within wooden boards or brick.

I prefer paving stones, clean, dry and low maintainance.

Paving also absorbs heat in the sun and releases it slowly at night, and retains moisture underneath.

http://allaboutallotments.com/index.html

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 06:15:21 »
We would idealy like something meadow like for larger expanses and would prefer organic

Hi, for meadow type stuff the seed companies do some great mixes specifically for this, but if it is damp then as AllAbput Liverpool says you may have to avoid grass / meadow flowers?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 07:04:43 »
A green path will grow naturally on any path but even if you lay proper turf it will need to be cut and trimmed, weekly some times or it will just be a scruffy area which will look a mess. In the wet season it will go slushy and slippery walking on it will damage it and then as it gets dry again, bald uneven patches. Turf takes a lot of tending, weeding and feeding. Which is why bowling greens, football pitches and lawn tenis clubs pay a fortune to a decent groundsman to keep them in order.

We much prefer wood chippings for the practical side of things, no cutting, weed reduction, and it does rot down eventually. Just top up every year. Most tree surgeons will be only too pleased to let you have all they make when they work near to your site rather than pay to tip it. Once they know you will take it, it appears on site like magic. With our site, it is not laying round for long, every one wants some.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 08:18:10 »
Has anyone got a good sugestion for a turf for patways on our plot.

We would idealy like something meadow like for larger expanses and would prefer organic but rthis is not too important. There are areas in shade and the plot is very damp in winter.

We wanted turf so that we can put it down and continue with the work.

Many thanks

Toby

yep, dont use it.  I have no choice and spend too much time (in my opinion) tending the path rather than the plot.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 09:58:11 »
we've got a bit of everything ;D
A neighbour has laid slabs on a shared path and while they were very useful in the bad weather if you don't sweep off any mud etc they become very slippery.We split up a couple of large beds with grass paths using seed on some and when we got impatient turf on others and frankly now they're established I see no difference.
Grass becomes very muddy and bald in wet weather but soon recovers in the sunshine and while they can be a chore to mow/strim they look lovely.
Sorry Psi I can't agre with you on this one :(
sanity is overated

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 11:42:21 »
When I first got my plot I marked out where I wanted paths, and strimmed what came up.  After  a few months it appeared to be grass.  Four years later it looks O.K. but I do have to spend time strimming, but I don't mind this as it looks neat, and I can weed/ pick produce etc..
I believe you can create a lawn this way and it is called a tumbledown lawn.
Go for whichever you prefere.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 14:10:57 »
I do like the look of grass although it needs more maintenance than slabs.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 14:42:30 »
Like grawrc, I've found grass just tends to invade new paths if they're kept strimmed.  Having said that I did lay turf paths on my first plot, but there were large areas of grass on the plot that I could cut it from.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

MOGDENT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 11:57:56 »
Thank you to all who have given there opinions.

We are going to give the turf a go as have found a cheap source and see how we go.

Watch this space for grumbles about strimming, cutting and general maintenance!!

Cheers

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 16:23:45 »
When I first got my plot I marked out where I wanted paths, and strimmed what came up.  After  a few months it appeared to be grass.  Four years later it looks O.K. but I do have to spend time strimming, but I don't mind this as it looks neat, and I can weed/ pick produce etc..
I believe you can create a lawn this way and it is called a tumbledown lawn.
Go for whichever you prefere.

Never heard the term but I did once create a lawn that way, when we were in Cornwall. It was an ex-lawn which was more like permanent pasture by the time we moved in, but by the time I'd mown it for a few months, there was nothing left but lawn grasses and a few dandelions.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal