Author Topic: Fruit Cage from scratch - - - more or less ???  (Read 8768 times)

DawnF

• Quarter Acre
Fruit Cage from scratch - - - more or less ???
« on: March 24, 2010, 06:35:15 »
Hi,
Please can someone give me some advice???

Im in the proccess of constructing a fruit cage from scratch.
Do I
1. use old tent poles
2. use 2x2 for posts and join them all with thinner battoning

Then after this dilema  - - -
What type of netting to go over the top??
1. Pond netting
2. Cheap but plastic pea netting
3. Cicken wire
4. Demolition netting

I dont want the local wildlife ie birds getting stuck in it but I do want it to be secure from the pesky ones that will eat everything??

Any Ideas??

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Fruit Cage from scratch - - - more or less ???
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:43:11 »
We are about to construct our fruit cage. We bought 10 7' x 3" pointed stakes & 2" x 1" rails between them. For the brassica cage we built last year we used Wilkies pond & crop protection netting & will use similar for this. Ours will be 18' x81/2 '. Do you want it to be walk in if not you could use the blue piping with canes across to support it with netting over. I'm sure others will come along with more ideas. Good luck with it. BTW I use the term "We" very loosely ;D ;D ;D.

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:34:40 »
If the netting is securely attached to the posts and anchored to the ground, it should be bird-proof - it's loose netting that allows them entry. :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 15:31:53 »
we used chicken wire on ours, I think there's a picture in the gallery?

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 17:09:20 »
You need DEBRIS NETTING.

This is the stuff they wrap round scaffolding, up buildings. It comes in huge rolls 2 metres wide and 50 metres long for about £25. Its doesnt rot, its made of nylon so itss tough as old boots. Its has a very fine mesh (in fact itll stop carrot root fly).

Check on ebay.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 23:12:26 »
I would use chicken wire for the top,mine collapsed under the weight of snow  :(
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 23:23:01 »
You need DEBRIS NETTING.

This is the stuff they wrap round scaffolding, up buildings. It comes in huge rolls 2 metres wide and 50 metres long for about £25. Its doesnt rot, its made of nylon so itss tough as old boots. Its has a very fine mesh (in fact itll stop carrot root fly).

Check on ebay.

Isn't DEBRIS NETTING too dense for a fruit cage.   You need to keep the birds out but some beneficial insects should be allowed in ...I would have thought!
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

DawnF

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 00:09:18 »
Duke of Ellington...
Thats what I thought
Think  its too smaller fine mesh it stops all creepy crawly nice things ??
Also isnt it used for shading in the greenhouse .... to stop the sunlight???

Dawn

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 00:31:20 »
we invested in really good quality netting from a local garden centre,its lasted three years now really well,mind we have stored it carefully away each year,its a bit pricey but the you get what you pay for.i see our neighbours using cheaper solutions and thats where we see birds trapped(and we spend ages trying to get the birds out cos the plot holders are rarely there)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 00:38:11 »
I would use chicken wire for the top,mine collapsed under the weight of snow  :(
to add,i went up during the snow this year,and  absolutly everyones  cages had collapsed under the snow,fron newbies to very oldies,such a shame,me and the hub spent hours wrapped up shaking snow off everyone elses cages,but to be honest as the snow was 8 inches thick the damage was already done.we sort of gave up once we realised we were fighting a losing battle and built a lot of snowmen instead!
rach
xxx
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 01:03:43 »
Either take the top netting off for winter (you don't need it then if you're growing fruit) or replace it with larger mesh which still keeps keeps pigeons out but lets the snow through.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:05:18 by Robert_Brenchley »

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 20:50:30 »
Can highly recommend checking your local thatchers

They often need to replace the old chicken wire, and get charged to skip it so they're happy to let you have rolls and rolls of it for free ;D

Debris/scaffold netting works fine, if you're bothered about shading your fruit then only use it on north/west walls?  :P

A decent fruit cage is a long term project - cheap plastic netting wont last more than a year or two before needing replacing

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 21:02:08 »
Hi newbie

Sorry if I've posted this before, but I built this last year.  I used batten but you could do it with whatever you could find, and because it's made from short lengths you might be able to use scrap wood.

An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 21:05:34 »
I used batten

I like it UW but what do you use for teh joints.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 21:19:34 »
There's a hole in the end of each strut and I lash all the struts around a short section of 2" pole to create the hubs, and then I just lashed it all round.

An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 09:02:52 »
Thanks should also ask how many lathes and how big are they?

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 11:36:23 »
I will be constructing my own fruit cage later on and rather than try and pin the netting to the wood cage I will be using a heavy duty stapler, :)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 11:39:58 »
There are six pentagons, one on top and five around.  So you need 30 pentagon spoke struts, and 35 pentagon rim struts - 30 for the pentagons, and 5 more to join them up around the base.

The ratio of spoke to rim strut length is the same whatever the size of the dome.  For a dome 1m diameter the spokes are .273m and the rims .309m.  So for example, if you want a dome 5.5m diameter just multiply those strut lengths by 5.5.  The struts come together at a bit of a mitre, and unless you're building a precision thing mitre all the ends at around 73 degrees.

If you use a bit of pole in the centre of the hubs like I did then strictly you need to reduce the length of the strut by the diameter of the hub, but it doesn't make any real difference to a fruit cage either way.

Assembly is difficult unless you're an octopus.  Lashing the pentagon hubs is easy, but you need to tie the rims on temporary and then lash the rim hubs as you bring the pentagons together, and all the time they're flopping around.  But the structure is increadible, because when you get the very last strut lashed the whole thing becomes rigid.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 11:56:58 »
Duke of Ellington...
Thats what I thought
Think  its too smaller fine mesh it stops all creepy crawly nice things ??
Also isnt it used for shading in the greenhouse .... to stop the sunlight???

Dawn

I have rectangular cages 2.4m x 1.2m x 600mm covered in debris netting to drop over various crops at various times. Yes its keeps out everything, but still lets enough sunlight through. Its the only way to stop all and sundry eating your cabbages and cualis, for a start.  Its far cheaper than buying retail, lasts longer and is excellent for everything, including dropping over seedlings to stop the birds.

Lets face it, anything you buy from a retail establishment will be a) expensive and b) not designed to last.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 17:28:43 »
I will be constructing my own fruit cage later on and rather than try and pin the netting to the wood cage I will be using a heavy duty stapler, :)
that's how ray made ours  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal