Author Topic: Downsizing  (Read 1499 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Downsizing
« on: March 08, 2010, 19:13:07 »
Well, the council have agreed to my request to split my plot in two as I haven't got time to work it all.They are going to look at it on Wed morning (Just hope they don't think it looks as if i can't even manage half of it!) and have asked me which half I want. Depending whether they split it widthways or lengthways, I've said I'd rather have the end with the shed and the water butts or the side without the hedge! Will await their decision, and the new tenant, with baited breath!

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Downsizing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 22:34:07 »
Look on the bright side Caroline.  The person who is going to take over your half plot is (most likely) someone who has been wanting an allotment for some time.  Half a cake is better than no cake at all. ;D ;D

They are hardly going to come in and try to rule the roost.  Most likely they will be grateful to share your knowledge.

valmarg

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:02:11 »
I think you did really well to ask for it to be split, many people struggle with a full plot but are reluctant to give any of it up. 

Since I've been secretary on our site, I have split many plots once they have become vacant, but only three where the tenants have realised the plots are too big.

Good luck for Wednesday, hope you are happy with the result.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 08:22:31 »
Pleased you have decided to keep some, and that the council are being helpful.  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 08:38:15 »
Good luck for Wednesday and hope things work out well for you and your new neighbour  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 18:33:44 »
Well, got the decision today. The council are happy to split the plot down the middle with the path as the border. So I get the bindweed rather than the hedge and keep the shed, the comfrey patch,rasps,strawbs and globe artichokes. The new person will inherit my weed-infested asparagus and the brambles, which I feel a bit bad about, and the jerusalem artichokes, which I can easily get some tubers from.

It's quite a relief toknow I've only got half the plot to work now (although ironically I'm back to working 3 days a week at the end of March, though it may go up again). Just hope I get on with the new person.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 18:59:02 »
I'm glad it worked out for you and you are happy with the result. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 19:12:40 »
I only allocate 1/2 plots on our site now.  This is to help get the waiting list down.  If ever there comes a time without a waiting list then those with one half will be given first opportunity at a second half. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 21:47:33 »
Looking at your first post then, I'd say that's a RESULT!! Now then,what about the water butts?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 09:14:12 »
Yup sounds like a result to me too! Hope things work out well with your new neighbour  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 10:15:49 »
Looking at your first post then, I'd say that's a RESULT!! Now then,what about the water butts?

Although the butts are mainly on my side and fed frommy shed, they are a great system of five, set up before I took over, where one feeds into the next so unless we have a drought there should be enough water for both of us. There won't be a physical barrier between the two halves so guess there will be a bit of give and take.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal