Author Topic: My allotment has become very dangerous  (Read 2180 times)

Dusty

• Not So New ...
My allotment has become very dangerous
« on: September 29, 2003, 22:31:27 »
I am new to this site and it is good to recognise a few names from other sites.  I heard of this site being mentioned on one of the BBC boards and thought I would have a look in.  Pleased I did it is very good.   Although I have had a lot of help and support from the Beeb boards I get very frustrated with the problems that have been going on for a few months now and so very rarely visit these days.

I have an allotment which is a virtual death trap at the moment and I no longer feel safe there.   I have two sheds, one shed/greenhouse and a greenhouse plus two natural wells.    I love my allotment is it very private with hedging around two sides, trees and farmer's field one side and  wonderful views of the river and beyond from the fourth side.

Unfortunately, one shed is so rotten my husband's feet went through the floor there is a large hole in the roof and the "decking" to the shed is rotten and broken away.  The shed/greenhouse  is a bit better but a few times glass has dropped from the roof and just missed my head.  The shed part is letting in water and the floor is becoming rotten.  

My fence fell down and I tried to push it back up but got my foot stuck under it for 25 minutes.  there was no one about and I had to put my other foot through a lot of glass to try to get leverage to get free.  I did eventually get my foot out but the shoe remained.   I am now very nervous about working there and although i had planned on pulling down the buildings and setting fire to them at the begging of Oct when we can have fires again but I no longer feel comfortable there and have to force myself to go up to water plants in the greenhouse.   There is also a very large tree in the farmer's field which is not very safe and I think more high winds and it will crash into my allotment.  I no longer feel comfortable there and I am looking for another site.    I have received some details from the local council this morning and hopefully I can get something soon.    I don't mind the hard work of digging or some maintenance to the buildings but when you no longer feel safe I think it is time to go.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

Re: My allotment has become very dangerous
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 22:49:45 »
Hi Dusty, firstly welcome to this Board, I too find it more attractive, but haven't "resigned" from Auntie.

You do seem to be having a bad experience with your new lottie, but if you decide to stick it out, you might be able to dine out on your experiences at a later date.

It sounds that if you decide to have a fire (in October), it will be a biggun - might it not be advisable to warn the Fire Brigade ??? ??? ???

Best of luck...

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 22:59:25 »
my structures sound similar, we will be taking the glass down this winter and strengthening the shed - if that doesn't fall. its not worth risking damaging yourself alone and to be honest if glass is falling i'd abandon the plants in the glasshouse.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 23:11:14 »
Hi Dusty

As Colin has said welcome to the 24hr gardening board  ;Dthere are a few of us from the other side here ha ha.
Sorry tohear about your lottie do you have a mobil phone mite make you feel better knowing you could call someone if the need arises. ;)
Sound like the shed should come down now? as for the greenhouse if you take the glass out and clean the frame and glass and refix with putty and clips should dry out before winter sets in. as for the shed roof some roofing felt should fix that depends on the floor boards perhaps a treatment or renew some from pallets. Pallets make good decking and can be free if you look around.
The next lottie you get may be not so good 6 of one and 6 of another. :-/
Dont know if I have helped but good luck with what ever you decide we are all here to support you. ;)
Teresa

Dusty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 00:15:36 »
Hi and thanks for your replies.   I have been thinking of finding another allotment for a while but very half heartedly as I really loved my current place.  However as I said I am having to make myself go up there to water the greenhouse plants and I feel I have already half let go of the place.    another allotment onthe same site was my first thought but we do not have water on the site and I am one of the lucky ones having two natural wells, and I know the problems people have had this year with a shortage of water.  The man next up to me has been using a pump to get water from my allotment up to his.  Although I am sure with the rain we have had lately his barrels must be about full again!

I am ok about moving and am now waiting to hear from someone at another site - she will let me know within the next two weeks if a couple of people on her site are planning to leave so that is a possibility.  

I am still planning for next year and have been going through the T & M catalogue for next years veg.

I am sure it will all turn out for the best.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 00:32:04 »
Hi Dusty

Well hope you get some good news in a couple of weeks. ;)
It does not matter where the lottie is as long as you are happy 8) and it helps to plan next years crops.  ;)
The way I am planning at the moment I will need a bigger lottie :-[
Oh well thats the fun side of gardening. ::)
good luck Teresa

Dusty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 18:37:33 »
Hi Teresa    yes I am sure you are right and when I see my next allotment I will know it is mine.  I looked at quite a few before I found my current one - anyone would have done but when I walked into mine I felt at home and hopefully I will feel that way about another one.

Will let you know how I get on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal