Author Topic: nematodes  (Read 910 times)

Philbasford

• Acre
nematodes
« on: March 17, 2010, 21:35:44 »
I am thinking of using this year to control my slug population among my spuds(amongst other things).

When do people start using this stuff and how well do you find it works?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: nematodes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 21:54:50 »
I tend to apply it in June and again in August... wet weather willing... the soil needs to be warm and wet, esp our heavy clay because if it has capped they are just wasted...  :-\

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:19:02 »
I usually do all my raised beds with one dose a year in may (depending on the weather, the soil temperature has to be above 5degrees I think). I'm gradually reducing the slug population, but as it is a relatively expensive treatment I'm content with that and use plenty of barriers around vulnerable plants as well, so usually get away with minor damage.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 17:38:13 »
I had success with the slug one last year but as others have pointe dout it's not cheap... I also got lucky as I applied it during our warm and rather wet springlast year... perfect for the nematodes as the slugs would have been active.... my plot neighbours all had some slug damage on their spuds at the end of the year and I had none.... didn't use any pellets on the spuds so I think it must have been the nematodes....

They now do a generaly purpose one thats supposed to be good against carrot root fly amongst other things..... I'll give it a go....

chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal