Author Topic: A recomendation for anyone looking for a climbing courgette  (Read 7076 times)

Dunk

A recomendation for anyone looking for a climbing courgette
« on: February 27, 2010, 19:47:03 »
Hi,
I would like to say I grew some Tromboncino (Trombone)  courgettes last year up a net tied to my fence (6ft).  They were very successfull at climbing and even attempted to go over the fence to next door!

My frind also grew some in plastic buckets, one to a bucket with three 5 ft poles in each tied at the top, and they made it to the top and produced 2 or 3 big courgettes in each bucket.

The flesh is firm and doesnt become hollow like marrows even when they grew to 2ft long.

The only disadvantage is that they came quite late, but I did plant them late so It might have been my fault.

I got mine from Suffolk herbs.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: A recomendation for anyone looking for a climbing courgette
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 20:02:30 »
welcome to the forum, Dunk!!  ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 20:38:11 »
Hi Dunk welcome to the Forum.  Tromboncino is my favourite squash variety -  mine came from Franchi you get loads in the packet.  Certainly not the first courgettes but not particularly late, perhaps try starting them off a bit earlier, I put all mine under 5 ltr plastic bottles until they can't be kept in any longer.  I start mine off inside in April with a view to getting them outside under cloches in May.   I tend to prefer them as autumn squashes.

There is a climbing courgette called Black Forest it is very expensive you only get 4 seeds in a packet.  It is not as vigorous as Tromboncino and not as tasty.   

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 23:11:45 »
Thonpson and Morgan do a climbing one and I recently heard about Ambassador, while not a climber the courgettes grow froma single upright stem, it looks very interesting.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:10:21 »
welcome to A4A Dunk  :)

This sounds like another must have for me  ;)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 09:23:35 »
Welcome  ;D
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 11:48:07 »
I'll be growing a climbing courgett this year (picked up the seeds in Wyevales 50p sale cos I'm not paying four quid for four seeds unless the things chop, cook and freeze themselves :D....) I'm also growing Tromba di Albengo (is that the same as Tomboncino?... they look similar.... very elongated moschata...... but I expect the trombas to be winter squash cos I'll be growing them in the winter squash patch

chrisc

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 14:35:36 »
Hi and Welcome to A4A Dunk  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 14:57:40 »
If you ever get one of those absurdly expensive F1's, don't be ripped off. Save seed, select the best, and in a few years you'll have your own, very similar, variety to pass around.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 21:46:05 »
I've grown Franchi's Tromba D'Albenga and it is very similar to how I remember Tromboncino - best as courgettes (most squash and pumpkins are with a few exceptions), but much better than a marrow when ripe too.

Still in their list.

Not that late for me but I'm in the SE. Might be a bit earlier than Tromboncino.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

gridgardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 14:38:39 »
Tromboncino is very good squash but it is not courgette.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 20:55:53 »
If you were right I would agree with you.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 12:34:07 »
Black Forest that was the puppy.... Well I'll know by the end of the summer whether it's worth keeping an eye out for at Wyevales next 50p sale... like I said I'm not paying a quid a seed for courgettes......

chrisc

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 12:46:40 »
Hi Dunk! I have some Tromboncino  in my seed box, never opened! Didn't know it was a climber - fab! Always running out of space on the ground!

Dunk

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 19:34:53 »
Wow thanks for all the welcoming comments!

I had a look at some pictures of Tromba di Albengo and it looks exactly the same, perhaps it is a close relation?  The word tromba means trumpet in English and I think Tromboncino means Trombone so they certainly sound like they are similar. 

Interestingly I've just had a look at Franchi seeds and they also do a "SERPENTE DI SICILIA", snake like I suppose, I guess these long types are quite common in Italy.

It's worth noting I had to tie the plants up with string but once up they do have tendrils which will wrap themselves anything they can find and do hang on well.

Vinlander - The Tromba has a suggested sowing time of Mid March onward so perhaps this is slightly earlier, I'm tempted to try some now!

Torreya

• Not So New ...
    • Ashfurlong Walled Kitchen Garden
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 19:50:01 »
Hi Dunk!
We grew 'trombones' and 'serpents' a couple of years ago on a frame 7' high and 20'  long, one variety on each side. Both  grew well, the serpents especially, the longest one was almost 6' long!  Unfortunately, something attacked the trombones, whatever it was left black spots all over the fruit, which gradually got bigger and made them uneatable.
By the way, the serpents need eating when quite young or they lose most of the flavour, OH grew them purely for the fun of it (typical man, showing off with size ;))

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal