Author Topic: Tree Damage  (Read 1957 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Tree Damage
« on: November 12, 2004, 10:46:17 »
I recently had a skip placed near some trees in the garden.  Unfortunatley the driver damaged a mature sycamore when removing the skip.  My question is ... do I need to do anything to protect the damaged area??  Here is a photo of the damage.

Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

William O

• Half Acre
Re:Tree Damage
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 11:10:01 »
I Suppose if the tree is healthy enough it will heal all by itself. Inspect if there are any "torn" parts with loos fringes. If there are, cut these off so the tree is left with a smooth neat wound.
The experts are rather divided on the issue of using wound balm. If the tree is in a rather humid shady spot you could use one with an integrated fungicide...

I hope the tree will heal well soon. :-\
Happy Gardening

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 11:23:35 »
Had a check William and the wound is clean and neat.  So I suppose its a case of 'least done soonest mended'  :)     Many thanks.

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 14:03:42 »
and don't use that skip firm again?!!
other half's dad used to use a firm that prided themselves on being able to get skip in the tightest of spots. takes quite a bit of practise, i bet!

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 15:09:53 »
As you can see Kerry, it was a bit of a squeeze.  The tree on the left was the one that was damaged.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 15:21:16 »
Mimi - that poor tree.

But what glorious surroundings you have. All those trees, that gorgeous stone wall. ah bliss.
gone to pot :D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 11:46:28 »
Glad that you like it Aqui. Built by my own fair hands to fill in a gap in the hedgerow left by previous owners.  It is topped with turves and I also planted some Grisilinia hedging(good for this area because we get the wind from the sea at the back of the house and the wind down from the mountains at the front)  Will look ok when it fills out a bit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal