Author Topic: Glass cleaning in Greenhouse  (Read 3548 times)

hyacinth_1

• Not So New ...
Glass cleaning in Greenhouse
« on: March 03, 2010, 21:52:35 »
Which would be the best to clean the inside of a greenhouse (Glass) Jeyes fluid (it is a disinfectant) or the spray that you use for the kitchen sinks with bleach in it?  If I use the bleach when it is hot will the bleach still be dangerous for any growing plants droplets I mean? like moisture in the air.  I do hope someone understands me, I am getting old. ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Glass cleaning in Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 14:13:27 »
Hyacinth calling Hyacinth1...I use Armillatox for mine. Would use Jeyes but out of the two the A. has a slightly better odour. ::) Wouldn't use the kitchen stuff - with or without bleach :-\

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 16:43:46 »
Jeyes fluid .................Everytime............ ;)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 16:50:49 »
I really cant stand the smell of Jeyes and it seems to irritate my airways. Jeyes always reminds me of the stuff that councils use to wash down public areas "carparks stairwells " where the drunks have been .....well you know!!

I need to find something else for the greenhouse ???

Duke
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 17:11:05 by Duke Ellington »
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 17:30:26 »
Jeyes always reminds me of the stuff that councils use to wash down public areas "carparks stairwells " where the drunks have been .....well you know!!

Duke

EXACTLY! BUT..it's a good disinfectant, nevertheless. As already posted, I'm not that keen on the smell of Armillatox either, but the OP wants to also clean the glass? So, to answer, I've used both Jeyes :( and A. the year when A. disappeared from the shelves because of rumours that it was going to be banned & peeps were stockpiling)...after using the foul stuff I hosed the inside of the 'house down, and the glass came up really clean. Still ponged tho ;D

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 18:08:57 »
Has anyone used Citrox ?

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 19:28:13 »
Has anyone used Citrox ?

Duke :)

Not me! Given that it does the job, what does it smell like, please? Both of the others really but really don't 'do' it for me :o

small

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 21:40:21 »
I scrub mine with a mix of bleach and washing-up liquid, then rinse off, but that's at the back end when it will be empty over winter.....have you got plants in now?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 21:47:22 »
we use a mix of warm water, vinegar and a splash of washing up liquid, the glass comes up great  ;D

hyacinth_1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 13:07:03 »
Thanks to all who replied.  As I am new to this game and a bloke who grew massive leeks said Jeyes was put in his soil to kill of bacteria I did not really believe him.  My husband has been to a load of shops and my boys carer went into Wilkinson's and also looked into the market down town and nobody sells it.  Today after looking into the shops you think would sell it like hardware, he went to a corner shop and he found a tin in there.  They must be not stocking up in the big places as a little corner shop was the only place he could find a tin.
Once again Hyacinth and all thanks for the information.
Jude ::)

pennsylvannia planters

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 15:20:22 »
Armillatox also can be used for sterilising water (in water butts), and for sterlising soil.

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 08:34:29 »
I have heard that people used to use Jeyes to kill bacteria in the soil but I thought it was illegal now. Anyway the new stuff does not smell as strong as the old. If you have a mole problem on the plot spray it all round the outside.  White vinegar and washing up liquid  then give it a good rinse to clean greenhouse make sure it does not get onto plants.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal