Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 337385 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #760 on: February 26, 2013, 19:01:18 »
That's good news, and a great time of year to start! Welcome to the forum and good luck with your plot!

daisydog

• Not So New ...
« Reply #761 on: March 13, 2013, 21:31:01 »
Hi Everyone

I just found this site today.

My name is Lisa, I am in Nottingham and I got my allotment last week.  I'd been on the waiting list for three years.  I'm really lucky because my allotment is just 50 yards from my house.   :blob7:

I have half an allotment as they don't let you have a large one anymore.  I've never had one before and when I saw it I wondered if I'd done the right thing. :blob7: It's just grass and some raspberry canes. 

I've been looking for an old shed but no luck yet.   Anyway, I've cut back some massive tree branches today, marked out one plot for digging, taken a couple of dustbins for water collection, a nice garden chair, some tools.

One quick question because I haven't had time to read much on here.  The whole allotment is grass and a few weeds, (not too many weeds considering).  Should I mark out other plots and then cover with carpet or plastic to kill off the grass/weeds?

Many thanks.

Lisa

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #762 on: March 14, 2013, 06:59:52 »
Lisa, welcome to A4A.  Good idea to suppress the weeds early before they take over the plot!  You'll find plenty more ideas under " Basics".

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #763 on: March 17, 2013, 17:20:37 »
Some sites don't allow carpets because they may have chemicals in and can be a pain if they start to rot. Black plastic is good for suppressing weeds.

daisydog

• Not So New ...
« Reply #764 on: March 17, 2013, 19:55:07 »
Thank you.

Lisa

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #765 on: March 17, 2013, 20:04:20 »
Was told last week that plastic, although suppresses weeds, if left on too long (how long is too long) turns the soil sour.  I have started putting down that weed suppressant - the stuff that lets water through until pumpkin time.

pinkandfluffydog

« Reply #766 on: March 19, 2013, 15:26:31 »
After a few weeks hearing that I had a plot I have finally been to see it, paid my subscriptions, etc and want to get going, but........ where to start?
What would you suggest to a newbie to begin with? Fortunately I have found the previous holder so I can find out what has been planted before & where.
The plot needs to be maintained for 12 months of the year, I need advice  :toothy10:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #767 on: March 19, 2013, 16:03:06 »
Welcome to the forum. There's loads of advice for new plot owners on here- try looking in "The Basics". The main thing at the start is to not try to do too much, just do a little at a time, and if needed cover the other bits to stop the weeds growing too quickly, Most of us are finding that out plots are still too wet/frozen to do much at the moment.
If you tell us a bit more about what state your plot's in, where you are and how much time you have, we can probably give you more useful info. If you want to feel as if you're getting started, sow some seeds inside until the soil warms up!

Susie25

« Reply #768 on: March 22, 2013, 16:21:29 »
 :wave:  Where do I start?? I applied for an allotment when we moved here in Rochester 19 yrs ago and a gentleman knocked at my door today with the key to our allotment!!!

I've been to have a look at it and to me it seems quite large and daunting, overgrown with grass but I can see Rhubarb and strawberries on the ground at the front. We have a water pipe and a brick built shed which I am waiting for the key to.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #769 on: March 22, 2013, 16:52:22 »
WHAT!!!? It 'only' took 19 yrs to get allotment
Well....what can I say....WELL DONE :icon_cheers: You must have some patience  :angel11: And welcome aboard..!
It is daunting task if you haven't done anything like it before...my advise is..in first year, start where the ground is easiest to work, get some 'stuff' in as soon as there is 'room' and carry on tackling the wilderness and planting/sowing as you go along.
Most important thing is that you get something in return for your efforts and until you have more idea what to aim for regarding lay out and possible structures, keep it simple and come next winter you have time to put pen on paper and do some proper planning.
By then you have much better idea how much time and energy you have to give and what you want to grow more.
But wait until this 'spell' of 'white stuff' has gone away before you get the elbow grease out  :icon_thumleft:

Susie25

« Reply #770 on: March 22, 2013, 17:02:08 »
WHAT!!!? It 'only' took 19 yrs to get allotment
Well....what can I say....WELL DONE :icon_cheers: You must have some patience  :angel11: And welcome aboard..!
It is daunting task if you haven't done anything like it before...my advise is..in first year, start where the ground is easiest to work, get some 'stuff' in as soon as there is 'room' and carry on tackling the wilderness and planting/sowing as you go along.
Most important thing is that you get something in return for your efforts and until you have more idea what to aim for regarding lay out and possible structures, keep it simple and come next winter you have time to put pen on paper and do some proper planning.
By then you have much better idea how much time and energy you have to give and what you want to grow more.
But wait until this 'spell' of 'white stuff' has gone away before you get the elbow grease out  :icon_thumleft:

Thank you, apparently the white stuff  is due to fall again this weekend, we  really need some of this :icon_sunny:

Would love to get some potatoes in this year but know practically nothing about it and my father who could have helped years ago is no longer around.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #771 on: March 22, 2013, 17:09:27 »
Welcome, Susie. Good friday is supposedto be the traditional day for planting potatoes, but it's not looking promising this year! You should still be able to get seed potatoes from your local Wilkinson's, Poundland or garden centre and they are good for breaking up ground that hasn't been dug for a while.

Ask whatever you want and you'll definitely get an answer here, especially while we're all house-bound thanks to the weather! Or try the Search.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #772 on: March 22, 2013, 17:26:26 »
Welcome to you both, first I'd get it trimmed back, seeing yours Susie it looks like its not too overgrown, after strimming cover with anything you can get your hands on plastic, tarpaulin, carpet etc, if the snow comes it will be OK for now, uncover a 20x 20 foot area and start to dig out the grass and weeds, once finished start another area and so on, in fact looking at your photo I'd start where the bare patches are and work outwards lining out some beds as you go, look at your neighbours to see how they have set up, onions and shallots can go in, when the ground warms a bit spuds can go in, do an area at a time, don't do too much or you'll be too knackered and will be aching all over and will not want to do anything for days on end, a little at a time will be beneficial to you in the long run, 19 years your aving a laugh, best of British to you both.   :coffee2: :wave:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 17:37:36 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pumkinlover

« Reply #773 on: March 22, 2013, 17:27:57 »
19 years- that  has to be a record!  :icon_cheers:
Welcome to the forum :happy7:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #774 on: March 22, 2013, 17:29:51 »
Hi Susie25

19 years is mad but glad you are one of us now!
It may be a bit daunting but remember there is no rush.  Take small bits at a time and get them prepared and then get something in.  So many people break thier backs and spirit trying to so the whole thing at once.  Unless you can organise a "party" for friends with the promise of veg to come!

It a good time of year to get a plot as you can really see what you have got and what is coming up.  We have all seen a lot worse and you'll soon be in the spirit of things.. as long as the sun comes out!!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 17:34:55 by BarriedaleNick »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #775 on: March 22, 2013, 17:36:06 »
Welcome newbies. :wave:
Congratulations on becoming allotmenteers.
I agree with comments already made,clear a bit ,plant a bit my saying (apologies to ones who have heard before)
"you can't eat an elephant in one meal-little bites " :laughing4:
sanity is overated

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #776 on: March 24, 2013, 10:56:23 »
Congratulations Susie25!!!

Patience comes to those who wait.  :icon_cheers:

Now you can nibble your way into a productive plot. I think it's a bit like plate-spinning when you start with an overgrown one. Clear a little, plant and tend - move on to the next but keep coming back to the first bit to keep it going - move on to the next.

Here's wishing you lots of luck, determination, success and enjoyment.... especially once the weather improves.  :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #777 on: March 25, 2013, 09:13:37 »
Welcome both!  And don't be daunted.  It helps talking to your lottie neighbours too.

Don't be tempted to grow just potatoes in your first year.  Yes, it is the traditional advice, because the ground gets a good second digging when the potatoes come out, but it isn't the best food value for your labour.  Potatoes are not expensive in shops at the time that yours are ready on the plot and you will feel much prouder if you have produced a variety - say salad stuff, peas and beans (just an example - it could be anything).  And think of something for the winter - maybe leeks.

Good luck.

wye not

• Not So New ...
« Reply #778 on: March 25, 2013, 10:15:40 »
Hi  :wave: I discovered this site yesterday and I'm afraid just waded into the seed swap without realising there was somewhere to introduce myself - sorry . What an amazing site by the way there's so much knowledge on varieties and growing it's really exciting.
My names Kelly and I've just moved from the Southside of the downs in Sussex( where there was more sun but lived on a boat wwith no garden)to the north of the downs ( where I now have front and back garden yippee!! and less sun) . I grew for an organic box scheme for 7 years so know a fair bit about annual veg but very little about flowers and fruit and all the wonderful heritage varieties of seeds. People are really friendly here too - it's great   :toothy10: Happy growing :sunny:

handsfull

• Not So New ...
    • Plot 15
« Reply #779 on: March 27, 2013, 22:51:24 »
Wow, Susie25, I was just coming on here to say that I got the key for my first allotment today after being on the waiting list for 7 years, but you got me beat :)

To be honest I'd kind of forgotten about it and am not prepared at all, so am frantically reading and ordering books from the library (am determined not to spend too much at once). Any book recommendations would be great.

We took on a full plot (6m by about 26m) which strikes me now as being a bit crazy but all the smaller plots were either boggy or really overgrown. We have a bit of a garden at home but it's north facing and the two chickens free range and have pretty much turned it into a farmyard. Think their poo should make good compost though! So am a newbie to both allotments and gardening in general really, but am looking forward to getting started (come on, Spring) and have SO many questions.

Anyway, that is to say... Hi!

Clare

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal