Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 336285 times)

debbilove

• Not So New ...
    • Digginwivdebb Blog
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #720 on: August 25, 2012, 09:51:47 »
Hi Tint,

I hope, like me, you find this forum friendly and informative. Happy growing!
www.digginwivdebb.wordpress.com

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #721 on: August 28, 2012, 10:51:44 »
:)Hi Just joined and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Tink
I live down the south of U.K. love gardening,cooking and sewing but most of all love my garden and growing unusual plants which I like to swap and hope to do so here, Have 2  green houses and what I call a long potting shed with glass roof that I can work under and  keep dry when its raining, my garden is very large and goes up into the side of the cliff so lots of steps and rock so needs mostly plants that like drought conditions.

..Going to go of now and look around to see how the site works...Tink

Welcome Tink.
Your garden sounds very interesting. I guess you are probably further west than me here in Sussex where nothing much goes up until you reach the South Downs.  ;)

I too have a potting shed only mine is in the least sunny position in the garden so I'm thinking of moving it (my wife says!)....either that or turning it into an aviary!!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
Good luck.  :)

eastybeasty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #722 on: September 16, 2012, 01:23:47 »
hi :)

well i did this the wrong way round! posted my first post in one of the gardenin boards then had a nose at the rest..oops! well anyway...hi! my husband (mainly) and i have been growing our own veg this summer and have learnt a fair bit....ive been trying to make the place look prettyful by getting some flowers into the garden and trying to figure out what would be good year.....

....im rambling. im 30, live in central scotland with my husband after living south of the bother ( w yorks and notts) twice and various areas in scotland before moving here last year.......looking forward to posting more....randomness is a given with me...and getting chattin to some people here :):)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #723 on: September 16, 2012, 06:55:40 »
Hi Eastybeasty, Welcome to A4A  :wave:

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #724 on: September 18, 2012, 01:54:37 »
Good to have you join us Eastybeasty.

Best of luck with your growing veg garden way up there in the north.
Here's wishing you loads of success for next season.  :wave:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #725 on: September 20, 2012, 05:33:41 »
Welcome EB and the rest of the newbies.   :wave:          :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

T o m

• Not So New ...
  • ?
    • ?
« Reply #726 on: October 30, 2012, 11:08:31 »
Hello everyone,

Been having a fertle around for a while, so thought I'd better come out of the woodwork.

I've had an allotment for nearly 4 years now, how time flies, and enjoyed every bit of it. Except the rain, the slugs, the blight, the pigeons, oh, and the bl**dy caterpillars !

Tom N
?

PlotSurfer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #727 on: October 30, 2012, 11:50:39 »
Hello everyone,

Am I still allowed to be here??? I joined the forum when I had an allotment a few years ago, but now I only have my back garden/yard full of containers: growing everything from chillies to strawberries.

Does not having an allotment make me an outcast though???

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #728 on: October 30, 2012, 11:51:26 »
Hello everyone,

Been having a fertle around for a while, so thought I'd better come out of the woodwork.

I've had an allotment for nearly 4 years now, how time flies, and enjoyed every bit of it. Except the rain, the slugs, the blight, the pigeons, oh, and the bl**dy caterpillars !

Tom N

An allotment is, without a doubt, a thing of joy Tom.... apart from the foxes, rotten weather, pigeons, mini-beasts (leek moth / carrotfly etc).. Good to meet you & have you join us.

Four years!! An old hand.  :glasses9:

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #729 on: October 30, 2012, 11:54:44 »
Hello everyone,

Am I still allowed to be here??? I joined the forum when I had an allotment a few years ago, but now I only have my back garden/yard full of containers: growing everything from chillies to strawberries.

Does not having an allotment make me an outcast though???

I'm pretty sure you're welcome  :wave: I wonder if having an allotment and not actually going on to it might be worse.  :tongue3:

I've only spent 2 hours on mine this month so hope it hasn't turned into a housing complex. (A full-time caring role can squeeze the rest of life into a very smal slot.)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #730 on: October 30, 2012, 12:41:37 »
There is quite a lot of non allotment chat here especially during the winter.  If you are happy to be here I am sure we are more than happy to have you.  Please do not feel cast out.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #731 on: October 30, 2012, 12:54:10 »
It doesn't matter if you have an allotment or a back garden - we are all still growing veg and flowers..  You are still most welcome here..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #732 on: October 30, 2012, 14:18:13 »
Tom N, Plotsurfer and other new members - Welcome!

Plot or garden, patio or balcony - really doesn't matter.  Nice to meet you and looking forward to reading your messages.

Galina
(garden  :happy7:)

Katiepops1977

• Not So New ...
« Reply #733 on: October 30, 2012, 19:22:18 »
Hi everyone  :wave:,

My hubby (Jon) and I (Katie) have waited for 3 years to get a plot on the much sought after allotments near our home in Tankersley, Barnsley. 3 weeks ago we got the letter and as my husband whooped with delight  :icon_cheers: and phoned my father (at the same time) I was left wondering what all the noise was.

The allotment acquirment coincided with my dad retiring so it was decided that this shoud be a family affair. My dad has cultivated stuff in his large garden for over 20yrs but my hubby and I are relative novices and so were glad of the help.

At this point I need to say what a wonderful experience it has been so far - even the bramble bushes, weeds, unsafe portacabin, cold winds and aching backs have not yet put us off. The kids have loved it (even the 2 yr old) and I finally feel that we are on our way to a simpler life that is semi-self sustainable and educating for my kids all at the same time.

We have found a community that we didn't know existed and quite frankly had thought that modern life had shoved out of the way! I think nothing of work pressures and stress whilst up there and am even beginning to dream of plants and seed catalogues.

I may not have knowlege and experience under my belt but have enthusiasm by the bucketload (pardon the pun).

I hope that you will be able to share your tips and knowledge with us, particularly in terms of keeping the kids interested and look forward to not being a newbie and more of an 'oldie' (?!?)

Katie xxx

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #734 on: October 30, 2012, 19:41:29 »
Well done katiepops - hope you enjoy your plot. Remember it cant all be done straight away. Just do it systematically and soon it will be how you want it. I got mine a year ago in a terrible state. I just got stuck in and it is really a pleasure now to go down and potter.. check mine out here www.gavinconway.net
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Katiepops1977

• Not So New ...
« Reply #735 on: October 30, 2012, 20:28:36 »
Thanks gavinjconway - checked out your photos and what a difference! I know Jon has taken some of ours and I really ought  to try and get some on here. Its not until you look back that you realise how much you have achieved in such a short space of time.

It might be a long time befoer Helana (my 5yr old) gets her 'allotment beans' (these are the only ones she likes!) but I'm sure they will be worth the wait.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #736 on: October 30, 2012, 20:41:17 »
Welcome Katiepops and Tom N, and welcome back Plotsurfer ,great to have to have you aboard.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #737 on: October 30, 2012, 22:12:22 »
Welcome to all the new members.

I think that keeping children amused on allotments is quite an issue.   I think you should start a new thread on the subject.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #738 on: November 01, 2012, 14:47:05 »
Hello and welcome to Katiepops and Tom N great to have you join and look forward to reading your posts  :wave:
The same to Plotsurfer but with a welcome back. I've always seen this forum as welcome to all who wish to be here, whether they have a field, an allotment, garden or plant pot, everyone welcome  :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #739 on: November 01, 2012, 18:36:56 »
Welcome, Katie and Tom! Whereabouts in North Yorks are you, Tom? As you can see, I'm in Tadcaster.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal