Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 336359 times)

KevinG

• Not So New ...
    • Pics
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #680 on: June 09, 2012, 20:54:10 »
Hi KevinG, welcome to A4A  ;D I've got a garden plottie too. Your pond and exotics sound fantastic, hope you are going to post some pictures  :)

Thanks Jayb, pictures, i may bore everyone, lol

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #681 on: June 10, 2012, 12:15:33 »
I'm not sure if this is still open for entries for this month but SamLouise organises our friendly competition, http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,72616.0.html
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sorrel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #682 on: July 24, 2012, 07:24:40 »
,I am sooooo excited...I got my allotment last night after being on the list for 4 years. I did have a share in an allotment before we moved but have been waiting for this moment for what seems like forever. i am in the middle of decorating....so its on with the undercoat...out with the dogs...and down to the lotty.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #683 on: July 24, 2012, 08:07:45 »
Congratulations on your lottie  ;D hope it is not too overgrown?

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #684 on: July 24, 2012, 08:10:17 »
Welcome.   Would you like to put your location below your avatar, or do you want to keep it a secret?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #685 on: July 24, 2012, 08:17:54 »
Welcome, Sorrel. We're all very nosey here so tell us all about your plot! And ask anything- there's always someone with an answer!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #686 on: July 24, 2012, 09:36:14 »
Welcome from me too.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #687 on: July 24, 2012, 09:46:55 »
Congratulations Sorrel - here's wishing you a great start to the new venture.

And... pictures all the way to help you remember:

• what it was like when you got it
  • how you improved it and your successes

We'd love a sneak peak too.  ;)

gibbonfunky

• Not So New ...
« Reply #688 on: July 26, 2012, 14:53:39 »
Hello all. I'm a newbie. Thought id introduce myself. Just moved house it has a lovely established garden and I'm now feeling somewhat out of my depth but looking forward to the challenge!

I suspect I'll be bothering you good people quite a bit.

All the best

Gf

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #689 on: July 26, 2012, 15:43:53 »
Hi and Welcome to A4A gibbonfunky, love the name  :)

Congratulations on the house-move, your new garden sounds gorgeous. What plans for the garden? Any room for a veggie patch?

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #690 on: July 27, 2012, 08:51:38 »
And welcome from me too gibbonfunky.  :)

That garden of yours sounds exciting. If it were me I'd take it easy and get to know what's there and what it looks like through the seasons before you make any major changes.

Keep an eye on which bits are sunniest and consider putting a veg patch there.
If in doubt ask away on here as someone is sure to be there to help.
Best of luck

gibbonfunky

• Not So New ...
« Reply #691 on: July 27, 2012, 09:05:26 »
Thanks Aden and jaybe

I like any advice that includes taking it easy!

I plan to firstly maintain what is here. There are 6 good size veggie plots. I have cleared 3 plots of the dreaded horsetail (temporarily of course!)planted cauli's and cabbages but they have been decimated. Aubergines, squashes, onions, lettuce and rain looking good so far.

Chickens are doing great job of weeding for me.

I have an overly large compost heap that I'm thinking of using as a mulch when we get a good bit of rain. I like the sound of the 'no dig' method.

Saying that I'm really enjoying slowly building up my knowledge, making mistakes and reading up on stuff I'm not sure of.

Looking forward to being part of this site.

Alone best gf.

gibbonfunky

• Not So New ...
« Reply #692 on: July 27, 2012, 10:07:49 »
...that should be
All the best gf

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #693 on: July 27, 2012, 10:23:49 »
Welcome to all the newbies, it's been a hard year with the weather, so don''t be put off, it can only get better after this year, can't it.   ;) 8)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #694 on: July 28, 2012, 02:21:25 »
Thanks Aden and jaybe

I like any advice that includes taking it easy!

I plan to firstly maintain what is here. There are 6 good size veggie plots. I have cleared 3 plots of the dreaded horsetail (temporarily of course!)planted cauli's and cabbages but they have been decimated. Aubergines, squashes, onions, lettuce and rain looking good so far.

Chickens are doing great job of weeding for me.

I have an overly large compost heap that I'm thinking of using as a mulch when we get a good bit of rain. I like the sound of the 'no dig' method.

Saying that I'm really enjoying slowly building up my knowledge, making mistakes and reading up on stuff I'm not sure of.

Looking forward to being part of this site.

Alone best gf.

I found it's all about making "mistakes" and learning from them but there's more than one right way to do something. As time goes on I begin to find the right ways for me - not always what I'm told to do by those who know best but... it's always worth a bit of experimenting.  ;)

jessico

• Not So New ...
« Reply #695 on: July 29, 2012, 10:34:15 »
Hi Every-one, after signing up a couple of days ago and putting a message up  and reading a lot of different  subjects .. I thought  it might be time to introduce myself .I don't normally do this so it's all new to me..lol

well here goes  I got my allotment a couple of months back  after being on the list for nearly 3 years which as I know is relatively quick or I was extremely lucky.I had started work on it then was told that an old allotment patch that hadn't been used is being sorted and once sorted I could have it ( so all my work went on hold.. nearly 2 months) .... I have a fantastic neighbor who owns an allotment and she has suggested I stay where I am for veriouse  reasons  which she  has explained and I can understand (wish I'd spoken sooner to her ).. well I am going to where I am and next week I will start back up
I have realized this was going to be hard work .. but a challenge I can honestly say I'm looking forward to.
I have the help of my youngest ( but things can take longer get done) my older children are not so keen to help clear it (they are teenagers so i can understand why ..lol)  but are happy to help with building raised beds / planting . which is fine by me :-)

well anyway not too sure what else to put if i'm honest so....
thanks for reading :-)

P.S I am open to ideas and offers of help with issues at times where I might not know what i'm doing

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #696 on: July 31, 2012, 10:17:44 »
Welcome Jessico!  :)

Sounds as if you are going to be busy but remember - enjoy it!! Take is gently, a bit at a time.

If you have a camera take some shots of the plot as you go along so you can see what you have achieved over time.

Good luck.  ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #697 on: July 31, 2012, 10:28:52 »
Welcome all newbies from me too.. ;D
It always a challenge to start new plot..but fear not..remember to keep it as enjoyment. Even if it means letting occasional 'naughty' word out.. ::) It is good idea to start swear box now..you'll be saving your seed shopping money in no time.. ;D :D
Even I've had my plots 'some' years and been able to grow various crops..this year must have been most challenging year yet, so much so that I'll be joining your challenge of taming the wilderness that is threatening to swallow my cultivated soil.. >:( (remember is is supposed to be fun.. ::))
Anyway....don't be afraid to join to conversations..and questions are always welcome. I'm sure we all try our best to direct you into in right sources of knowledge if in need ;)

jessico

• Not So New ...
« Reply #698 on: July 31, 2012, 15:33:47 »
Hi, Aden Roller  and Goodlife

I have a few photos already off the plot and I will most defiantly be taking more as I go along  :-)
Good idea about the swear box It's a good way to save the pennies that will be needed :-)

well thank you to both for the warm welcome x :-)

pumkinlover

« Reply #699 on: July 31, 2012, 15:42:36 »
Lots of new people on here! Welcome to all and one!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal