Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 336306 times)

Spireite

• Half Acre
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #640 on: April 25, 2012, 12:14:27 »
Hello All, I am a TOTAL Newbie to serious veg growing. I started posting yesterday about (thinking about)  beekeeping and potatoes...I moved to a house in N Herts in September and now have a garden that is approx 60x25ft, so big enough for a veg patch....although looking at it now I have plans for a larger veg patch next year :)
A few of my work colleagues have Allotments so they are good for advice, but it's nice to find somewhere there is someone who can answer my questions.
The new strawbs are in and I've planted potatoes this year for the first time....ALL 10 of them :D so we shall see if i manage anything more than small pebbles, and have now dug out a trench for the green beans...which I grew in our last place, but not last year as we were trying to sell/move house!!!
OH and when my garden is totally sorted I'm thinking of installing a G gauge garden railway.. ;D
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #641 on: April 25, 2012, 12:30:09 »
OH and when my garden is totally sorted I'm thinking of installing a G gauge garden railway.. ;D

;D ;D ;D

Hello and welcome to A4A Spireite, enjoy  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jimbo1878

« Reply #642 on: April 27, 2012, 22:00:31 »
Hi all

I'm James and I'm new here. I've now got a plot here in liverpool and am all ready to go. Really looking forward to it and hope you all don't get fed up with my questions.

I'm off to post my first of many daft questions now so thanks for reading this

Cheers

Jumbo

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #643 on: April 27, 2012, 22:03:19 »
Hiya, everyone new. Here's to a great, warm, wonderful growing season  ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #644 on: April 28, 2012, 06:19:42 »
Hi James, welcome to A4A and congratulations on getting a plot. Happy growing  :)

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #645 on: April 28, 2012, 23:52:44 »
Hi I'm Ian from Chester!

I've been growing veg in pots and troughs for a few years now but we've just moved to a house with a decent sized garden, so for the first time ever I've got myself a green house and eight raised beds for growing veg.

I'm so made up, but could do with some advice, so will appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!

CestrIan.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #646 on: April 28, 2012, 23:56:08 »
Welcome CestrIan. It sounds as if you are going to have some brilliant crops totally weed free if your growing space is so close to the back door.

Here's wishing you lots of luck.  :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #647 on: April 29, 2012, 17:38:08 »
Hi Ian, welcome to A4A, hope you enjoy the forum. Your greenhouse and raised beds sound just the job  ;D

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #648 on: May 08, 2012, 13:14:57 »
Hello,
I have just recently managed to acquire an allotment on the site behind my back garden,I was offered a choice of pitches, one under two massive oaks , in shade and completely over grown, one in the middle of the plot with what looks like a year a weeds and one with paved paths and full to the brim with garden plants, I have never grown veg but I am a keen gardener, as was the previous owner of the allotment I choose, the one with the plants. I have put up a bean frame for runners and a wigwam for French beans. Which are growing on my window sill. I want to plant beetroot , salad and a courgette plant and some peas. I have ordered seed for winter veg cabbage, lettuce purple sprouting broccoli. I will have to plant the amongst the flowers and hope for the bestFruit trees - Morel lo cherry, raspberries and about 8 apples trees some are cordon grown , two are massive and cast a lot of shadow until afternoon /evening when the allotment gets full sun.
The previos owner allowed a man to plant potatoes at the end of the patch so I should get a clear large free space in July or August.
I have been told I need to tame the large trees but I think this will have to wait till the winter?

is there anywhere to post pictures?

I live in North London NW11 to be precise.
Nora
Norf London

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #649 on: May 09, 2012, 01:12:40 »
Welcome Nora and the best of luck with your new plot. It sounds an interesting one.

Pictures = look for the gallery.  ;)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #650 on: May 09, 2012, 06:36:25 »
Welcome to everyone who has joined recently. Hope you like it here
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

osbalda

• Blog
« Reply #651 on: May 13, 2012, 06:46:53 »
hi all - names Andrew and been on here for about a week now - my first week of allotment has gone by - i have started a blog to show people the progress i will be making
http://bronxrelic.blogspot.co.uk
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #652 on: May 13, 2012, 07:42:11 »
Hello and Welcome to a4a Nora42 and osbalda, hope you love the site  :)

Nora, everyone can download pictures to their gallery. The main gallery can be found at the top of the page and your gallery through your profile page  :)

Congratulations with your new plot osbalda  :), looks like you have made a good start and I'm looking forward to reading your progress posts.

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #653 on: May 14, 2012, 14:27:00 »

Hi I have added a few pictures to the gallery under my name - hope that's correct. there is a pic of the huge and over grown apple tree which I beleive needs to be reduced a little, as it sades a large part of the plot.
I have senw a couple of rows of cut and grow lettuce some spring onions, and planted some runner beans and french beans into the soil after adding compost and manure, Hoping these few cold days are not going to affect them.
i also have some sugar peas bought from a local plant sale, does anyone know how high they grow?
Nora
Norf London

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #654 on: May 14, 2012, 14:28:34 »
Welcome to a4a Nora42 and osbalda from me too.

Pleased to have you join us.  :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #655 on: May 16, 2012, 10:50:01 »
a few new names - great to meet you and welcome to the madhouse  ;D  No really, we don't bite.   Love to hear about your progress and yes, photos and blogs are a good way of showing all of us.  Welcome Ian, Nora and Andrew.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #656 on: May 17, 2012, 00:14:28 »
a few new names - great to meet you and welcome to the madhouse  ;D  No really, we don't bite.   Love to hear about your progress and yes, photos and blogs are a good way of showing all of us.  Welcome Ian, Nora and Andrew.

Speak for yourself........           ;D ;D

welcome to the site everyone.  ;)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #657 on: May 18, 2012, 18:17:56 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Speak for yourself........           ;D ;D

welcome to the site everyone.  ;)

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #658 on: May 22, 2012, 13:50:58 »
Hello everyone. I found this site Googling for a technical answer to something and after browsing it liked it. I do like messageboard formats. There seems to be lots of good practical advice here and I shall have fun pinching ideas from people and hopefully adding some of mine in part payment.

I had an allotment many years ago when the family was young in the early 1980's but it was defeated by couch /twitch grass combined with a solid soil that in winter you could not shake from the dug up clumps and in summer if I stood on a garden fork, the fork would fall over rather than penetrate the soil. It was never enough to grow potatoes because the grass always invaded from the paths or the uncleared sections again.

However now retired I have a half plot a five minute walk away and the condition is much better. There is horse tail but I'll tackle that as I can. It's only in patches. I took it over in mid April and despite the continual rain I have several deep beds laid out and have around 35 different varieties of things in already. I plan to have fun planning next years crops with more warning in the autumn. The deep beds (rounded, not with side walls) enabled me to work despite the wet conditions. I hope you'll see me appear in one thread or another before long.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #659 on: May 22, 2012, 14:06:22 »
Welcome to A4A & I love the name ;D. They are such a good lot on here & you can have a good laugh too. Congratulations on your new plot& so handy for you. Fire away when you need to, someone will have the answer for you ;D.

Janet

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal