Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 338471 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #600 on: February 19, 2012, 07:09:29 »
Hi CambourneSandra, welcome to A4A, happy growing  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

tottieheed

• Not So New ...
« Reply #601 on: February 22, 2012, 21:42:26 »
Hi

Just joined tonight and thought it only polite to say hi. We are in Fife, Scotland and very excited indeed as I have just been handed the keys to the new allotment (brand new). Would love to be able to say that I have got big plans, but if I'm honest I have not got a clue where to start. What's the worst that can happen??

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #602 on: February 22, 2012, 21:58:28 »
HI,  :)  tottiehead nice to have you on board what wonderfull news bet you can not wait to start,remember take your time enjoy your gardening, and good luck with all that you grow ;)
m j gravell

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #603 on: February 22, 2012, 22:18:28 »
Hello and Welcome tottieheed, hope you enjoy the site and getting to know us all  :)
Good time of year to get your lottie, I'm sure you will get lots of useful ideas and tips.

Diamond_Skies

• Not So New ...
« Reply #604 on: February 24, 2012, 22:14:56 »
Hi all

I am a new member living near Belfast.  We just took possession of our allotment a couple of weeks ago.  This is our first time to do something like this, although I do have a bit of experience with gardening.

Our plot is 'second hand' so we didn't have too much to do to get started.  It's laid out in 6 rectangular, south-facing beds and there is one raised bed.  We still have space to add more beds at one end, although I am thinking of planting green manure there for this year.  At the moment, we have raspberries left by the previous tenant and I have transplanted my rhubarb to the site. I have some seeds that are starting to sprout that I plan to transfer when ready and have lots more to sow in the upcoming weeks.  My plan is to have a mixture of perennial plants (berries, artichokes, rhubarb) and annuals (mustard, beans, basil, coriander).  We also have space in a poly tunnel and I am hoping to grow some chilies in there.

The allotment fee is £60 and I hope to keep my total expenses for the year to £100.  I like the idea of swapping for things rather than always buying new.  There is a stables nearby and several compost heaps at the site (and we have one in our back garden).

This is my hubby's first experience with growing anything - the garden has always been my domain!  But ever since he tasted some homegrown lemon cucumbers and thought they were delicious (and he hates cucumbers!)  he has taken an interest in homegrown veg.  At the moment, though, I'm the brains and he's the brawn.  ;D

I have been lurking here for awhile, gathering some good information and I am hoping that I will get more good advice as the year goes on.

-Jane

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #605 on: February 24, 2012, 23:55:38 »
Nice to have you join us Diamond_Skies.

I guess you shouldn't be short of rain or water for the plot come the summer as you are over there in the Emerald Isle.

A4A is a pretty friendly and very helpful site so I hope you, like me, find it a useful and enjoyable place to be.

Welcome!! 

Sorry - couldn't resist this smiley - I thought he was cute. (Hope you don't mind.)

pumkinlover

« Reply #606 on: February 25, 2012, 07:24:11 »
Hi Diamond_Skies  and Tottiehead,
Welcome to the forum!

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #607 on: February 25, 2012, 11:12:23 »
Welcome to all the newbies :) Nice to see you (to see you, nice)

Diamond, I like your avatar, lol

Diamond_Skies

• Not So New ...
« Reply #608 on: February 25, 2012, 18:20:46 »
Thanks for the welcomes (and the cute smiley!).  We certainly don't have to worry about hosepipe bans here.  Usually, late spring I have to water the my potted plants in the garden but come summer, Mother Nature does it for me.

SamLouise - the donkey is a resident of Rathlin Island.  I wanted to take a picture of it in the field but as soon as it saw me at the gate, it came running and all I got was a big nose shot!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #609 on: February 25, 2012, 18:23:47 »
Welcome Diamond
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #610 on: February 26, 2012, 11:53:23 »
Hello Diamond_Skies and welcome to a4a, good luck with your new lottie. Gorgeous donkey avatar  ;D

Ru1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #611 on: March 06, 2012, 22:58:28 »
Welcome Diamond skies and tottieheed  :D :D

All the best with your allotments.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #612 on: March 07, 2012, 03:02:25 »
Thanks for the welcomes (and the cute smiley!).  We certainly don't have to worry about hosepipe bans here.  Usually, late spring I have to water the my potted plants in the garden but come summer, Mother Nature does it for me.

SamLouise - the donkey is a resident of Rathlin Island.  I wanted to take a picture of it in the field but as soon as it saw me at the gate, it came running and all I got was a big nose shot!

We will all look forward to hearing more from you around the forum.  ;)

Twinklekat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #613 on: March 14, 2012, 20:38:14 »
Hello  :)
I'd just like to make myself known and I hope you don't mind me lurking in the background soaking up ideas and information.
 After 2 years on a Landshare plot we moved on to our own council allotment a month ago. It had been neglected due to the ill health of the previous tennant and there's an awful lot of work to do but we are really enjoying it. I'm finding that there aren't enough weekends in the week now but as soon as the clocks change we should get lots more time in the evenings to sort the plot out.

;D

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #614 on: March 14, 2012, 20:44:58 »
Welcome Twinklekat.
This is a wonderful place to ask questions and share gardening and so much more.
Good luck with the new plot,I remember starting out ,it was fab  :)
sanity is overated

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #615 on: March 14, 2012, 20:56:51 »

Welcome Twinklekat.

you will certainly get lots of help and advice on here

X Chas

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #616 on: March 14, 2012, 20:59:11 »
Hi Twinklekat and welcome, congratulations on the new plot sounds like you are loving it  ;D

Twinklekat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #617 on: March 15, 2012, 18:21:07 »
Thank you for the welcomes everyone :) I am sure I'll have lots of questions to ask you all in the near future. xx

LittleBean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #618 on: March 19, 2012, 22:55:06 »
Hi from Taunton!  Got our allotment on Valentines Day this year and had a busy month sorting it all out and getting it fit for purpose!  Lots of digging and aching bones but all good fun.  Got a half plot, 12m x 9m and trying to fit in as much as we can, might be getting another half plot as well which will make it easier to grow all we want to!  With the raised beds we have at home as well, the hope is that we will be self sufficient veg-wise.  Looking forward to getting some hints and tips here!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #619 on: March 20, 2012, 06:23:08 »
Hello and welcome LittleBean.. ;D Sounds like you are getting well there and already looking to expand..well done!
You certainly get plenty of hints and tips here... ;D
Don't be shy to join to any 'conversations'..more the merrier.. ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:15:04 by goodlife »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal